Roundabouts - When not turning left

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
N

NigC

jonny jeez said:
From what I can see (and I know the rb myself)..if someone cant ride one handed around that particular roundabout, they need to question whether they have sufficient skill or confidence to ride on the road at all.

but

I dont think that is the issue....NigC's question seems to be more about what type of signal/position to use, as apposed not being able to signal, lets not get distracted and start another signal/no signal debate.

NigC, I agree the RB looks odd in that I cant actually see a "straight on " option and maybe other vehicles get equally confused. The fact that you are discussing this suggests yoiu have already put in some thought and tried a few things.

Personally I would disregard the HC ad take a position that ensures your saftey and makes it clear to all what your intentions are...YOU ARE NOT TURNING LEFT, whethet you then go straight on is of no consequence as most drivers will have filtered left and avoided you by then.

good luck

Yeah, my first few weeks after starting to take the bike were scary - I kept left and had to keep checking for traffic behind as well as on the roundabout. So then I decided to block the left lane (as I do now), which certainly helps a lot, but there's still the odd incident. So that's why I thought I'd get the opinion of you guys :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Must be the ex-motorcyclist in me but I like the cut'n'thrust of a roundabout, certainly would not change my route to avoid them. There is something very empowering about claiming your space as a vehicle when on a bike, about riding unapologetically at the speed you choose in that space, and executing your chosen manouvre and to a degree 'bossing' the traffic around you via eye contact, signals and road positioning. I have seen you! You will now maintain your speed and position! I will be accelerating and moving out to the right! I have spotted you trying to creep up the left stop it! etc. etc..

I find if I'm unequivocal in my riding the drivers around me adapt far better than if I ride apologetically,then they bully me.

PpPete

Legendary Member
GregCollins said:
Must be the ex-motorcyclist in me but I like the cut'n'thrust of a roundabout, certainly would not change my route to avoid them. There is something very empowering about claiming your space as a vehicle when on a bike, about riding unapologetically at the speed you choose in that space, and executing your chosen manouvre and to a degree 'bossing' the traffic around you via eye contact, signals and road positioning. I have seen you! You will now maintain your speed and position! I will be accelerating and moving out to the right! I have spotted you trying to creep up the left stop it! etc. etc..

I find if I'm unequivocal in my riding the drivers around me adapt far better than if I ride apologetically,then they bully me.

+1 (even though I'm not and have never ridden a m/c)

Davidc

Guru
GregCollins said:

Usually works, but there are those who still need to demonstrate how bad their driving really is!

shunter

GregCollins said:

I agree totally and I am still a motorcyclist as well as cyclist.

PK99

Legendary Member
GregCollins said:

Some might bully you but the majority will do what you have invited them to do.

Riding behind a mate, who does off road mtb riding but very little on the road, through central London on the way back from the DunRun last year, we came to road works that narrowed the 2 lanes down to one narrow lane. He rode pretty hard to the left and got very cross when a car went through the gap he left, a closish but not dangerous pass.

Bullying? No, the driver did what my mate invited him to do.

Following, i took the lane, indicated to the car behind to hold back and gave a thumbs up as he passed after the narrowing

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I'm not 100% sure, but IIRC in a motor vehicle, unless there are road markings to the contrary, you should use the left lane for left and straight on, and the right lane for turning right.

I think that you can only use both lanes for straight on if the exit also has 2 lanes.

Being a bike gives you more flexibility, but personally I would be wary of having to first pull into the right lane, and then pull back into the left whilst on the roundabout. If it was me I would be in the middle of the left lane and just try and keep the speed up.

OP
OP
N

NigC

From the sounds of it, it definitely looks like I need to be more assertive and make it damned clear that I'M NOT TURNING LEFT - maybe a well worded T-shirt with flashing lights too? :biggrin:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Maybe do a tally-ho cavalry charge motion with your hand, like an overhead karate chop?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
GregCollins said:

++1 (although I dont relate this to just motorcycling).

I also "like" to take charge of roundabouts, so I totally get what you mean. It never seems to frustrate drivers tho as i am remaining totally predictable and very clear...I even resort to Pointing at drivers who I see trying to edge out, it stops them in their tracks as its a signal that i know they have seen me and I know what they are doing, (so they can stop that right now).

This is one reason that i dont like the suggestion of appearing to "wobble" (sorry Lit) as this feels too much like submission and is just not assertive or clear enough for my liking, I would never want to rely on a driver having to "interpret" my riding style in moving traffic...I want to show them (without question) that I know what I am doing and that they can relax, ....I'll take care of it

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've not read the other posts because i'm lazy :biggrin:

but for me it depends on the roundabout, I have several to go through on my trip to work. On the smaller ones i will take the lane to turn right / straight unless the angle of attack from the next entrance is not good and the drivers view is blocked by th a pillar, you do have to take a wid line and be warey of other cars.
On larger round abouts I always take the lane I should be in and am allways checking for cars.

What ever you do, you must show confidence and take control of the lane you are in!

redjedi

Über Member
If there is a queue of vehicles all wanting to turn left in the left hand lane, and most other vehicles take the right hand lane to go straight on, then I would take the centre of the right hand lane.

As you pass the first exit keep checking to the left to make sure someone isn't trying to pass you there, if they are then an assertive left arm out to indicate that you will be moving to the left soon.

Stay in a strong position as you pass the left hand entrance and once you're sure that no-one is going to speed out in front of you, a big signal to indicate that you are leaving the roundabout.

When I approach a roundabout I will unapologetically act as if I'm in a car and claim the centre of a lane. That is not a place to be trying to over/undertake other road users, so I try not to give them a chance.

OP
OP
N

NigC

Just for clarity, here's the HC section on roundabouts.

As far as going straight on is concerned, the picture shows a roundabout with 2 lanes on the approach and exit, but the text makes no reference to the number of lanes where you intend to exit. It does, of course suggest you (as a car driver) need to make allowances for "cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so". Interestingly, it does not mention cyclists or horses that may be on the left and not signalling because they intend to go straight on :tongue: Or maybe the "continue round the roundabout" bit implies going striaght on too? So as a cyclist, it's not particularly clear.

I think the advice given still stands: Make sure it's safe and move over to the right lane and ensure motorists (and other cyclists) are very clear on the fact that you are not turning left. Be careful not to leave gaps that some less careful drivers may try and use to pass you - i.e. don't give them a gap on your right when approaching and don't give them a gap on your left when preparing to exit.

Top Bottom