Routes north of Glasgow help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
I have to drop my other half in Milngavie and meet him again at Inversnaid. I'd like to go for a bicycle ride from some point in the area of the route I'll have to drive. I've done the Aberfoyle -> Duke's Pass -> Callander loop before. I could do that again, but I'm looking for alternative suggestions. Looking at the map, I could park in Strathblane, go over the Crow Road to Fintry and come back via Killearn, is that a good route? Or would I be better going east past the Carron Valley reservoir?

I'm on a skinny-tyred road bike, so on-road routes please. :smile:
Thank you for any advice.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Crow Road->Killearn is a good route, but the road surface is absolutely horrendous on the B822/818 through Fintry - and it's even worse up at Carron Valley.

I'd probably prefer something a little more westwards. You could start in Croftamie or Drymen and head through Balloch and up through Glen Fruin, then looping either south around the Rosneath peninsula or north up along Loch Long and down along Loch Lomond. What sort of distance are you looking for?

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Distance - probably 80 - 100km, I think.
I don't mind cycling on faster roads, but I was under the impression that the A82 isn't exactly the most fun road to cycle on ever...

Rasmus

Without a clever title
It's not, but there's a pretty good cycle route along Loch Lomond. At the northern half it is excellent, using the old road which is now empty of traffic. The southern half is not as good, but still keeps you away from traffic.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Route suggestion

95km, almost all on lightly trafficked roads, and a decent amount of climbing. I plotted the course anticlockwise around the Rosneath peninsula, as this gives the most enjoyable view of the Gareloch - but it comes at the price of a very tough hill back op Glen Fruin from Faslane.

I have to drop my other half in Milngavie and meet him again at Inversnaid. I'd like to go for a bicycle ride from some point in the area of the route I'll have to drive. I've done the Aberfoyle -> Duke's Pass -> Callander loop before. I could do that again, but I'm looking for alternative suggestions. Looking at the map, I could park in Strathblane, go over the Crow Road to Fintry and come back via Killearn, is that a good route? Or would I be better going east past the Carron Valley reservoir?

I'm on a skinny-tyred road bike, so on-road routes please. :smile:
Thank you for any advice.
I cycled these roads a fortnight back and I've only ever been on 23mm tyres Rasmus is spot on though:

Crow Road->Killearn is a good route, but the road surface is absolutely horrendous on the B822/818 through Fintry - and it's even worse up at Carron Valley.

I'd aggree also with if possible starting further west a visit to the Balfron Bakery IMO wouldn't be a bad choice either ;)

Route suggestion

95km, almost all on lightly trafficked roads, and a decent amount of climbing. I plotted the course anticlockwise around the Rosneath peninsula, as this gives the most enjoyable view of the Gareloch - but it comes at the price of a very tough hill back op Glen Fruin from Faslane.
RWGPS is unfuntional at work (crap IE 7) but I'll have to check out the link at night I've often wondered about a good route (23mm tyre friendly) loop round Loch Lomond.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
Thank you, Rasmus.
HLab, Rasmus' route isn't a circuit of Loch Lomond, but goes further west. There's quite a bit of out-and-back (maybe parking in Balfron is the way to go, but that involves more driving!); but I understand Glen Fruin is really pretty. Tracking down a bakery sounds like a good plan...

Seamab

I cycled into Glasgow a couple of weeks ago (on 23mm tyres) via Stirling then Kippen - Fintry - Crow Rd. The road through Kippen has been resurfaced and was delightful but it didn't last long. As mentioned above the nearer to Fintry the worse it became. However, the Crow Rd was a pretty good surface.

Another option might be a loop from Callander round Loch Katrine and back along the Stronalachur road - there's a nice cafe "The Wee Blether" about 5miles before Aberfoyle. Not sure about the road surface here (it has been very bad in the past). Then Aberfoyle to Callander.

zizou

Veteran
That is a good route that Rasmus has mapped out, Glen Fruin and Rosneath are very scenic. Just dont stop and take too many photos at the top of Glen Fruin otherwise you can get the military police coming up to visit :biggrin:

Can you cycle right round Loch Katrine? Is it a decent road?

Not directly round the loch as the loop takes in Loch Chon and Loch Ard too as well as Aberfoyle and the Dukes Pass.

The Loch Katrine road is decent quality with virtually no traffic as it is a private road. Few rough bits towards Loch Ard but perfectly rideable with 23c.

It is about 30 miles so maybe a bit short for what you are looking for. You could always extend it either to Callander which you already know or the Lake of Mentieth or towards Drymen over the pipe track.

Dave Crampton

Fi, is your other half walking the whw in stages? I did it years ago taking 2 days to get to Inversnaid Hotel. You could just park at the hotel and cycle to Callender and back. Pretty hilly from memory? If you do the same further up you could take an mtb and cycle part of the whw yourself, we've also done that but in the summer when it was warm & dry.

OP
OP
fimm

fimm

Veteran
LOL Dave he's running the whole thing over three days... in preparation for running the same in 24 hours or so in June. Running 26 miles is quite far enough for me, thank you...
I've also walked the WHW years ago.

Parking at the hotel has its attractions... but so does Rasmus' route. Time for a bit more mapping :-)

Can you cycle right round Loch Katrine? Is it a decent road?
I have done it a few times from Dunfermline/ Edinburgh/ Stirling (I've always been on 23mm's). The north side is a closed road and unless its tourist season or mosquito season its a good route (the only midge that have bitten me on mass have been there :laugh:). I believe the south side deteriorates after Stronlachar so I've always done something similar to the Trossach's Ton route and headed down the B829 to Aberfoyle.

Top Bottom