Rowing Machines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Thinking I'd like to work the upper bit , rowing machine seems like an idea? Anybody else use one?

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes. Yes I do.

Yes. There is only one brand to get. Concept II.

I say this for several reasons:
1) It is the industry standard. If you travel, you will find these everywhere. If you want to resell, the brand speaks for itself.
2) Participate in international competitions and rankings from your home gym. The units can be calibrated, so like rows against like.
3) The models only change once every 20 years or so. Concept II doesn't chase fads and fashions.
4) Older models can be upgraded by adding some of the later features, notably software etc.
5) Works with standard Polar heart rate belts.
6) Log card which you can use anywhere and it still tallies your logs.
7) Super robust design.
8) It breaks in two for better storage.

Don't bother with models that don't use a chain and fan. Those with gas lifter resistance are rubbish.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've used one in the past, it's the one bit of gym equipment I quite enjoy, great all over workout. Concept II as suggested

Unfortunately my buggered knee doesn't like hyperflexion so I can't really push it as much these days :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like @vickster it's the one bit of gym equipment that I could ever get interested in. It was my mainstay during my rehab period of rebuilding fitness and muscle. I don't attend a gym with one any more, but it's really good. The ones in my gym were all Concept II.

vickster

Legendary Member
Like @vickster it's the one bit of gym equipment that I could ever get interested in. It was my mainstay during my rehab period of rebuilding fitness and muscle. I don't attend a gym with one any more, but it's really good. The ones in my gym were all Concept II.
I do use a recumbent bike and crosstrainer too depending on which injuries I'm nursing! Upright exercise bike at home.

The stepper was also a serious workout, knackering! I personally find any sort of weights/resistance work very dull!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
A long time ago and I got the T-shirt
rowing.jpg

0ne million meters

1000000.jpg

rowing-jpg.155001.jpg

Which one are you? Standing up or sitting down? :whistle:

That's impressive, NN. 621 miles. How long did it take?

While a rowing is more of a whole body workout than cycling, if you are doing it right most of the work is from your lower body and your core. It's not an upper body workout. If you want to redress the balance, a couple of kettle balls might be a better investment.

Acknowledging yellow saddle's remarks, you can also look at the Water Rower, which uses a container of water instead of a flywheel to replicate rowing on water. It's advantages are aesthetic - I prefer the wood to the industrial look of a concept II, YMMV - and also the sound of water sloshing is more pleasant to me than the wirr of a chain and flywheel. These are the only two brands to buy.

Honestly, most rowers I know find ergos incredibly boring, and it's really hard to do anything else while doing it. Bluetooth headphones help, of course. Spend some time on one in a gym to make sure you can stand it.

Drago

Legendary Member
And when I'm warmed up on the rower I do bent rows with 80-100kg, two or three sets, eight or ten reps. Keep those last wide and the back/chest above 50", just how the chicks like it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
And when I'm warmed up on the rower I do bent rows with 80-100kg, two or three sets, eight or ten reps. Keep those last wide and the back/chest above 50", just how the chicks like it.
is that so they can nest on you and lay eggs?

Top Bottom