Royal Mail workers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Anyone on here who’ve been a postman or postwomen?
What is it like? Does someone put all the mail in order for you? Is it 30 or 40 hours a week?
I’m in a dirty factory but I’m strong & fit, so considering future job options. As debt will be paid off soon I wouldn’t mind a slight pay cut to be out in the fresh air.
Any information & advice would be most welcomed.
Regards.

Buck

Guru

Chris S

Legendary Member
I used to know somebody who got a job with the Royal Mail when he left school in the early 1980s. I heard he's still there so it can't be that bad.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Me.…what do you want to know ? it'll be hard enough at first,mentally and physically.If your part time you might get your mail sort of sorted for you.Good job if you like walking and the outdoors though.
Saying that I had a bastard of a day today,fecking parcels everywhere after doing my round !

postman

Legendary Member
Have you been on the Royal Mail job site.It lets you register your interest and tells you jobs available.I retired 15 years ago,so I am out of touch as how they go about taking and training staff.But I could tell you what it was like,and it would be better over the phone.So I could private message you my phone number.

Adam4868

Guru
You've probably more chance of getting on through a agency to start.Manweb take on for Royal Mail and pay around 11 quid a hour,maybe a little more.Itll give you a chance to try it.Part time to start maybe.

My youngest is a postie, he likes it and it seems like a pretty good job to me. I'd take it over working in a factory any day of the week.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My School mate has done it locally since leaving school. I see him most days. He's got cyclist's calves and a tan, always wears shorts. And he has nice holidays too.

Keeps you fit. He's 50's..

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was a postman for about a year,in 1996. It was ok,but the 'devil dogs' on the council estate i delivered on used to shoot me up! One bloke had these horrendous monsters where you had to walk through a thick high, wire,fenced off area where the dogs were snarling and snapping at you as you walked to and from the letterbox.:eek: Having said that,i'd say the worst dogs i encountered were Yorkshire Terriers who'd wait for you to put your fingers through the letterbox then jump up and snap at them!:ohmy: Getting up early was a pain as i've always been a 'late as possible' riser.

I also used to get abuse off some if their Giro cheque hadn't arrived.

Yonks ago when I was working shifts for BT, I knew someone who was a postie, and his depot was not far from where I was. He knew I worked shifts, so said I ought to pop into the PO canteen and grab a cheap meal in the early hours. This I did, and after a few visits, I sat down and munched away as usual, when a shop steward type say at the table. He asked if I worked here. I said yes. He asked to see my ID card. I explained that actually I worked down the road at the BT office. He said 'that's alright', and off he went - all in the same union you see. I made that my last meal there, but always remember it being a relief to know there were hundreds of other folk working away in the wee small hours :smile:

jayonabike