Royal Mail workers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Very rarely give out full time contracts to start now.Usually 30 hours,but there's always overtime ! Such as the job below,you generally have your mail near enough sorted for you when you get in.Although youd be expected to help out as such.
Sometimes I do the driving duties mail and parcels,other times strictly walking.Hate the driving side,love the walking.Less parcels obviously 😁
https://uk.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...source=jobseeker_emails&rgtk=1evsi43tu3pbl005

What happenes when you need a wee? :blush:
love this place for the questions that need answering. Gives me hope, even for the NACAs.
Very good question - and no matter how discrete the posties are, even the men, I wouldn't have thought the Mail would want its folk in uniform having a public P.
Over to the current and ex posties for the answer.
If I see my friendly postman today I may even ask him (not the grumpy van parcel bloke in the year-round woolly hat)

Reactions: C R

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Female postal workers exist.
They do. Our postie wears shorts all year round, too. It would be a tad indiscreet to ask her about such things, though.

I worked for RM as a driver just over 20 years ago when it was actually Royal Mail, not a company. I never did the Walks, but had to sort parcels between driving duties if I couldn't hide somewhere in time!
VERY strong Union then, CWU, not sure about that now, though.

Drago

Legendary Member
What happenes when you need a wee? :blush:
You do it in the street, get video'd and end up on Facebook.

Female postal workers exist.

Our postie is a lass and I do wonder how she gets through the day without some kind of bladder explosion. As an aside, shes a very nice lady, much loved and well regarded in the village. A few years ago there was due to be a personnel shuffle in the local RM and it was announced she was to be moved to another round. The locals kicked up such a stink that the RM backtracked and left her on our round.

In a way she represents the last gasp of the good old days when the postie, milkie, coalie, etc, were all well known and were a part of local life,fighting crime, delivering babies, putting out fires, and occasionally finding the time to deliver the odd letter, pint of milk or bag of coal. When i first joined the dibble 3 decades ago hardly a night shift would go by without a milkie alerting us to villains ahoy.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
All joking aside if I'm on a round with shops,schools etc it's no problem.If it's purely residential I thought that's what back alleys were for ?

Julia9054

Guru
All joking aside if I'm on a round with shops,schools etc it's no problem.If it's purely residential I thought that's what back alleys were for ?
Tricky at the moment with most places closed. My son works as a home carer in my local area although he lives 20 miles away.
Although it breaks lockdown rules, I occasionally hear the back door go and footsteps bounding up the stairs two at a time to shouts of “Hi Mum - need a wee!”

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was with the Postal and Courier Regiment in Hannover, Germany and at the depot at Mill Hill in London. We were basically the postal service for all the forces all over the world. It was a great . The best thing was the people I worked with. 40 years later, I am still in touch with them.

My motto for life is "If you do not like what you are doing. Do something else."

It is often a risk. But it is always a risk worth taking.

Top Bottom