Royal Mail workers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My parents have an outdoor toilet (in addition to one of those new-fangled indoor ones). Many years ago the postman asked nicely and was allowed to use it. The knowledge must have been passed down, as it is still in regular use, several generations of postie later.
You've stumbled upon a secret Postie trait - we leave scent markers around the routes. "Watch out, dog", "Shut the gate", "Sticky letterbox"

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I grew up in the country, and our postman was an old school friend of my mum's. He used to use the toilet, stop for a cup of tea, sometimes a bacon sandwich. He was very good to the local community, did things like help old people bring their logs in in the winter. And he'd take outgoing post which he wasn't supposed to do. Very nice chap. He could do his round by 12 on the days he was going to the football, but strangely on every other day he'd finish at 2!

Adam4868

Guru
You go out with an experienced Postman who shows you the route - not just the house numbers but the house names. Can't remember how often.
You don't anymore...they'll throw you in at the deep end and told to follow your nose.More than likely due to covid,no sharing vans etc.
Don't worry about not knowing where your going,most routes will sort of carry themselves.
Your rarely get your own route quickly,it's the way they think you'll learn the rounds.Ive had a different route every day for the past two weeks.
It probably works as when I go back to a route or walk I've done it's easier.
I'd say they average between 9 and 12 mile walks...did 11 miles today but had a shitload of mail !
Parcels are a nightmare...everyone's ordering online.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
You don't anymore...they'll throw you in at the deep end and told to follow your nose.More than likely due to covid,no sharing vans etc.
Don't worry about not knowing where your going,most routes will sort of carry themselves.
Your rarely get your own route quickly,it's the way they think you'll learn the rounds.Ive had a different route every day for the past two weeks.
It probably works as when I go back to a route or walk I've done it's easier.
I'd say they average between 9 and 12 mile walks...did 11 miles today but had a shitload of mail !
Parcels are a nightmare...everyone's ordering online.
Bloody hell - loads of mis-sorts then I take it?

No idea how long my walk was but about 500 households rings a bell.

Adam4868

Guru
Bloody hell - loads of mis-sorts then I take it?

No idea how long my walk was but about 500 households rings a bell.
By the time it gets to Wednesday...
Had this lot and about 30 odd packages today !

Nice (and informative) thread.
Am always a bit wary of exchanging more than the briefest of words with my postie as I have the impression that these days they are under a lot of time pressure.
Or is that a myth put around by mischievous folks?

They earn their money delivering to me and my neighbours - we're up a great big dead end hill.

postman

Legendary Member
The routes are planned out and timed,Well they were back in 1972,So my first 'own' walk.I did it their way for a few days,then i did it my way thereafter,saving me time.Never told them and nobody on the walk never knew either.It was all about bundling the letters as you got ready to tie up.I didn't even tell my section mate.

postman

Legendary Member
Just remembered a story.For a while i was sick and holiday substitute.Postie on leave or sick,i did that walk.It was great did not get bored doing same walk month in month out,then you knew which was a good walk when it came available,thats when i took my own walk.So i was covering a walk known as Ashills Shadwell.The walk was covered by one of the nicest blokes you could meet,but boy was he slow.So i covered it for a week,the area had a Leeds Postal Inspector living on it,they were very well paid.So it seems he came down to the office and asked Tony the manager if i could be kept on all the time,well i was about thirty years younger and a lot faster,it seems i made an impression with the customers.

lane

Veteran
Just before Christmas a Royal Mail van driver delivered a parcel at around 10pm to my house. He was still outside on his phone 15 maybe 30 mins later. It was a bloody cold night. I went out to see if he was OK. He had managed to lock his keys in his van. He phoned the breakdown and they were some hours away. I can't recall exactly but think he had worked 18 hours or more and had an early start the next day - something like 4am. In the end his wife collected him and he was going to collect keys from the depot and then collect the van early the next morning. He was blocking our drive but as my car wasn't moving until 7.30 not an issue. I did offer him a hot drink.

I hours he was working seemed excessive and he just got left to sort out his van problem himself.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
^^^ exactly this. Loose lips, sinks ships. Too many people into a good thing go and ruin it because they can't resist telling people how clever they've been.
If they get found out instead of taking on the chin and saying I’m very sorry it won’t happen again. They start whining every one else does it . Then the ........ hits the whirly thing .

The routes are planned out and timed,Well they were back in 1972,So my first 'own' walk.I did it their way for a few days,then i did it my way thereafter,saving me time.Never told them and nobody on the walk never knew either.It was all about bundling the letters as you got ready to tie up.I didn't even tell my section mate.
what did you do with the extra time?

Top Bottom