Ruck sacks - which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

My boys are just starting to cycle daily to school and their old school rucksacks (cheapies!) are looking very uncomfortable. DS1 is 11 and 5ft 6 so adult sizes would be ok. He needs to take his school books and sometimes sporting kit in the sack. I went to shop this morning thinking it would be good to see sizes but the only ones they had were hydration sacks with very limited space to put any belongings. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding type and size? It's hard to tell how big they are on the web hence my wasted trip to the shop.

purplemoon

I was looking at rucksacks in Millets a week or two back and they had some decent ones suitable for carrying school books etc (special compartments to hold pens/calculator etc) plus space for PE kit. These had the aerated tunnel design to keep your back cool whilst cycling and a waist strap to stop the bag jiggling around. Prices were around £20 which I thought were good value.

This is the one I was looking at ... http://www.millets.co.uk/Product.as...L+SS06+Rucksacks+and+Bags;MIL+SS06++Day+Sacks if that's any help :smile:

Just noticed it's now £24.99, must have been on offer in the shop :biggrin:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Willow, have you an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op near you? Their "Stow" range is well reviewed (most recently in C+), and although recently increased by a fiver on the website, can still be had at the old prices in the bricks and mortar shops.

They're made by Vaude, so good quality, and have a frame type arrangement that stands them off the back slightly. I have one in mind, as my Lidl pack has straps that are already tearing away from the body :/

Let me know if you want to see the C+ article, and I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

ChrisKH

Guru
I've been using Karrimor's for years. Never had any problems and they come in various sizes to fit the need or the body. I'm currently using a Karrimor jura cool mesh but wouldn't recommend it for kids as it has a waist strap that's not strictly necessary.

I would get yourseulf along to the nearest camping/trekking outlet and try some out. They can be pricey (mine was between £30-£40, I think) but they last forever.

OP
OP
W

Willow

John the Monkey said:
Willow, have you an Edinburgh Bike Co-Op near you? Their "Stow" range is well reviewed (most recently in C+), and although recently increased by a fiver on the website, can still be had at the old prices in the bricks and mortar shops.

They're made by Vaude, so good quality, and have a frame type arrangement that stands them off the back slightly. I have one in mind, as my Lidl pack has straps that are already tearing away from the body :/

Let me know if you want to see the C+ article, and I'll see if I can dig it out for you.

would be interested in the article if you can find it but don't wast oodles of time. I'm in Surrey so no Edinburge Bike shops here!

OP
OP
W

Willow

I too think panniers are better but I don't think it's very cool at school. He's a lovely lad and probably too good to be cool so I think panniers may leave him open to teasing. This is only his second week and already someone has mucked around with his brakes though I am told it was a case of mistaken identity and the lad involved did try and fix them when he realised it was the wrong bike!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Oh, I don't know. Stick some baguettes in them, and make him carry a string of onions, he'll be the toast of the school :smile:

gavintc

Guru
At age 11, he does not want a sensible rucksack, he wants something cool. He will put up with discomfort far more than the ridicule of a sensible rucksack. Take him shopping, give him a budget and let him choose. He is not doing LEJOG with it - just carrying stuff to school.

kyuss

Veteran
I'll second the EBC stow rucksacks. I've had 2 now and they're great. Something that never seems to get mentioned in reviews or the spec is the adjustability available to suit different back lengths, which being really tall I found very handy.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
John the Monkey said:
Willow, EBC excerpted the C+ article on their site here;
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/com...revolution-stow-sport-rucsac.htm&f_cardinal=3

I'll get the rest of the article for you tonight & scan it in.
This link (to the BikeR***r site) will give you 226 choices of backpack - though quite a few have hydration bladders too. At least it might help to eliminate a whole lot of stuff :smile:

This is probably the online version of the article
(Sorry JtM - it's my first visit to A & C for ages. Great avatar for today BTW :smile: ... or :rolleyes: ?)

Top Bottom