Rugby League World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Anyone been watching?

Been some great games, on channel 551 on virgin if anyone didnt know. All England games on BBC, think highlights of other games may be on BBCi player

I've been following the page on facebook also which has some good updates.

And of course, who is going to win?

I think it has been a bit of a non-event, which is disappointing. There was plenty chance to show more games - I think Wales and Scotland were also taking part, so I don not know why the BBC only show England games.
I watched the opening games (maybe on red button) but since then I could not tell you what has been happening.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I think it has been a bit of a non-event, which is disappointing. There was plenty chance to show more games - I think Wales and Scotland were also taking part, so I don not know why the BBC only show England games.
I watched the opening games (maybe on red button) but since then I could not tell you what has been happening.

I wish BBC had shown more games so people would realise its certainly not been a non event.

Close games, good media coverage (radio/newspapers) and record attendances all good for the game, but agreed more TV coverage on BBC would have been great.

Not everyone has premier sports

Sorry I did not write that very well - I am sure it has been great, but due to the games not being shown I doubt many people know it's happening - rather than it being a non-event.

On a similar line I was in a pub earlier today (for a bowl of soup - haha) and the cricket was on the TV; it made me realise just how much I miss being able to watch it due to it being on Sky now. It must be years since I have watched a test match - highlights are not what I want to see, highlights are just like watching a 20/20.

Following on from the above, I have just read on BBC website that BT Sport have won the rights to televise Champions League and Europa League football for 3 years - so that's even less sport I'll be able to view.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
i fully understand, shame rugby league have finally produced a successful competition and hardly anyone can see it !!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I've been enjoying it even though I'm more a 'Union' guy.
Some fabulous games.

I think RL and RU are quite different games now and it can be enjoyable for a RL fan to watch and follow RU and vice versa.

RL is very much a club game with a small but passionate International set up, quite the opposite to RU who get huge crowds for Internationals.

What I like about this World cup is the attendances which have been breaking records, albeit well below RU crowds, for example 8k watched Scotland in Cumbria, there best crowd for over 20 years at that ground and I think Scotlands best ever.

I'm going to say England to win, be good if others could vote and we will see in 2 weeks who was right

OK< I'll say Australia. Just so there is competition Haha

AndyRM

XOXO
The BBC originally claimed they would be showing every match, but then changed their minds. No idea why.

Very pleased that Scotland have made it through a tricky group. We will be annihilated by New Zealand but never mind. Congratulations also to the USA, who will also be humped by the eventual runners up.

The lack of coverage is really poor. An international sporting event being held in the country and barely mentioned is ridiculous.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Agree Andy, the support has been poor, ironically its been the best supported World Cup in recent history.

Glad Scotland made it through, for me they and Italy have been the strongest of the rest, but Italy miss out and USA go through.

Looking forward to the quarters, France have been poor IMO I expected more from them having Catalans in the Super League

AndyRM

XOXO
I made it over to Workington for Scotland's games. The atmosphere was absolutely electric, particularly against Tonga. Real mix of hardcore fans, more casual folk like myself and people who didn't have a clue, but ended up loving it! Couldn't make it to Salford for the US game, but listened to it on the radio whilst cooking and nearly hurled the tea all over the place as we edged back into it.

It's a real shame that it's not being promoted more in the media. It's a fast, exciting game and one I've been warming to over the years, in favour of the dull kick-fest that Union has become.

Predictions for the quarters?

New Zealand, Australia and England all by a margin, though I suspect all opponents to give a good account of themselves.

I think Samoa will probably edge Fiji, and it'll be a spicy contest.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The BBC originally claimed they would be showing every match, but then changed their minds. No idea why.

The lack of coverage is really poor. An international sporting event being held in the country and barely mentioned is ridiculous.
The BBC are broadcasting live radio commentary of every match via their digital 5live extra station.

AndyRM

XOXO
The BBC are broadcasting live radio commentary of every match via their digital 5live extra station.

Yeah, I may have been mistaken about them showing every match. Would have been nice to get more than England though; home nations wouldn't have been too much of a stretch surely?

The radio coverage has been excellent.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Yeh for me Samoa v Fiji is the pick of the quarter finals, if anyone is new to Rugby League take a look at this game and see if you like it, I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Top Bottom