Rugby League World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I'm not sure how good France are, but at time they looked good - not sure if that was due to England not playing well or not.

Seriously, if I had been more aware of the games via publicity I'd have tried to get to a game - I am just over the border so easy enough to travel if I had planned ahead.

its frustrating to hear that, obviously they want fans to watch but if they dont know what do they expect?

there were games in Cumbria, think it was a sell out crowd, that said the capacity was only around 7k. Apparently thats the best crowd in Cumbria for 20 years, so lots to shout about

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
We're into the semi final :cheers: but i think it'll end there.http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24964307

I think England are a very good team, and better than the game last night suggested. That said, NZ are absolute super stars, honestly if anyone wants to see great athletes then watch these guys, Sonny Bill Williams SWB (NZ heavyweight champion) being the biggest star but these guys are outstanding.

We have had quite a lot of success against NZ Kiwis recently by playing a quick tempo to tire their big guys out, not sure we will be able to manage that this time though

AndyRM

XOXO
its frustrating to hear that, obviously they want fans to watch but if they dont know what do they expect?

there were games in Cumbria, think it was a sell out crowd, that said the capacity was only around 7k. Apparently thats the best crowd in Cumbria for 20 years, so lots to shout about

Not quite a sellout in Workington, but an amazing crowd nonetheless.

Frustrating is a good word to use regarding the promotion of the event. I suppose that the excellent attendances at matches would suggest otherwise, but the lack of mainstream attention annoys me.

As I suspected, we were thoroughly outclassed by the Kiwis. Given England's shaky form, I suspect the final will now be an all Southern Hemisphere affair.

Doseone

Guru
I watched some of the England France game last night and really enjoyed it. I've pretty much given up on Union as I find such a frustrating experience to watch and by contrast found the league game really free flowing.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I watched some of the England France game last night and really enjoyed it. I've pretty much given up on Union as I find such a frustrating experience to watch and by contrast found the league game really free flowing.
I do find the resetting of scrums, and the seemingly resultant random award of penalties as a result of a collapse, pretty numbing.
Even the commentators with replays and all round cameras haven't a clue who is the culprit. RU needs sorting somehow but they have tried and failed before.

Doseone

Guru
I do find the resetting of scrums, and the seemingly resultant random award of penalties as a result of a collapse, pretty numbing.
Even the commentators with replays and all round cameras haven't a clue who is the culprit. RU needs sorting somehow but they have tried and failed before.
The strange thing is I don't remember it always being this way. I watched a lot of Union in the mid to late 80's and used to really enjoy it. I don't even bother with the six nations now though.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
The strange thing is I don't remember it always being this way. I watched a lot of Union in the mid to late 80's and used to really enjoy it. I don't even bother with the six nations now though.

RL scrums were never that bad having 2 players less but even they have scrapped the scrum now, its just a way to restart the game so you have backs on backs

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi

This is a really good point, its hard to know what or why any decision is given, I suppose the players must know?

AndyRM

XOXO
The reason for Union being gubbed is simple: turning it professional. I'm just old enough to remember the glory days of it being an amateur sport. It was far superior.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I had an interesting chat with a senior figure in RL about the relative merits of RL and RU. The problem with RU these days is that all the players have got so much fitter and bigger. With 15 on the pitch v 13 in RL, there just isn't enough space to produce a free running spectacle.

In the amateur days the tight 5 forwards did almost no wide defensive work and the loose forwards struggled with it. Nowadays even the props are getting across. Hence RU being more of a spectacle when it was amateur.

Top Bottom