Rugby League World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
just watching premier sports and roosters v rabbitohs and its so fast and physical, no wonder they are so good when their standard league is played at such a high standard
I was lucky enough to see Manley Sea Eagles play when I was over there. Great physical spectacle. I was derided by the locals about English footie fans having to be separated at games. How I laughed when a brawl broke out on the grassy bank between two drunken sets of fans!

just watching premier sports and roosters v rabbitohs and its so fast and physical, no wonder they are so good when their standard league is played at such a high standard

"Here come the roosters, the red white and bluesters..." One of the few songs I remember from my days in Australia watching RL. Although Cronulla Sharks were the team I followed.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Well a couple of days have passed and on reflection I sdo think England would have given the Aussies a run for their money in the final, I dream of them winning but know they probably wouldnt have.

I hope RL make the most of the momentum the RLWC has given them, will crowds go up at Super League games? Will TV figures grow? Will sponsorship money increase? Do more people know about and have an interest in RL? WIll it get more exposure in the media and written press?

I think the answer is yes to all the above but the real question is how much and for how long?

RedRider

Pulling through
Well a couple of days have passed and on reflection I sdo think England would have given the Aussies a run for their money in the final, I dream of them winning but know they probably wouldnt have.

I hope RL make the most of the momentum the RLWC has given them, will crowds go up at Super League games? Will TV figures grow? Will sponsorship money increase? Do more people know about and have an interest in RL? WIll it get more exposure in the media and written press?

I think the answer is yes to all the above but the real question is how much and for how long?[/quote]

I think the extra exposure on terrestrial TV and the quality of the play has sold the game to new people. I know it's probably unrealistic for all sorts of reasons but if say the BBC or Channel 4 got rights to Super League games and gave them a good showing it could really take off in the public imagination.
btw I went to secondary school in Widnes and played with and against a few future pros (but at Union - there was no League in schools which was another weird anomoly). I get my fix these days through my partner's family who are all massive Dewsbury/League supporters

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I think League is always going to struggle outside the traditional area of the North of England, I know there is an initiative to get schools playing and a southern team did well in the schools tournament the grandson played in, but when these young players leave school usually the only option to keep playing is join a Union Club, I would like to see a 13 a side game with Union rules but with less enthusiastic whistle blowers who at times ruin a good flowing game of union.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

I think the answer is yes to all the above but the real question is how much and for how long?

I think RL's finances will always be held back by the limited geographical heartland and the traditional working class nature of the sport. They struggle to attract top level sponsorship as a result.
Having said that, football has succeeded in turning itself from a working class to middle class supported game (largely thanks to all seater stadia and the professional marketing by PL) so it is possible. Untold riches at the top of the game but also a feeling of disenfranchisement amongst the traditional fans.Whether RL actually want this to happen is another matter entirely.

In answer to your question, I have the feeling that RL will return to the status quo quite quickly.

RedRider

Pulling through
I think RL's finances will always be held back by the limited geographical heartland and the traditional working class nature of the sport. They struggle to attract top level sponsorship as a result.
Having said that, football has succeeded in turning itself from a working class to middle class supported game (largely thanks to all seater stadia and the professional marketing by PL) so it is possible. Untold riches at the top of the game but also a feeling of disenfranchisement amongst the traditional fans.Whether RL actually want this to happen is another matter entirely.

In answer to your question, I have the feeling that RL will return to the status quo quite quickly.
Good point.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hate to say it but I think the idea that England could have troubled the Aussies looks to me like wishful thinking. NZ looked to be on a par in every department, and they got blown away. The Aussies just looked to be in a different league to every other team.

As to the future, I've absolutely no idea, but as a one-time visitor from the rugby-couch-potato-land that is annual six nations and not much else, I have to say I've been immensely impressed by the RL game. The players seem fast, tough and tremendously skilled and quick-thinking, and the game itself seems like RU with the hull cleared of barnacles.

AndyRM

XOXO

I suspect that on their Final form, Australia would have flattened anyone who dared stand against them. Though England would have been well up for it after their opening game defeat which could have helped.

RE: the growth of the game - I suspect that had there been more mainstream coverage interest would have increased. The BBC made a decent effort, but only showing England games (until the semis/final) on the TV wasn't enough.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Great replies and some interesting insights

I also suspect RL may return to the status quo if they are not careful, it would be very disappointing if it happened quickly.

Good point about working class image, I think RL have worked hard to remove the negative stereo type and has had some success, only continued exposure will improve the image. I think sponsorship will be more popular this year as a result of the WC, remember RL didnt have a major sponsor last year!!!
I think there will be an impact, Id like to say major impact but realistically it will be minimal. I wonder if the Exiles game will be better supported this year on the back of the RLWC? It would be good if that was on terrestrial tv as they are unlikely to get super league as its a strong presence on sky.

Going back a few years I enjoyed the NRL on Setanta. They showed more matches than I had time to watch plus the footy show and state of origin. Great now I live in a none RL part of the country. The downside was watching the same guys walk out in the green and gold having watched how they play week in week out for their clubs. I was gutted when Setanta went bust.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Going back a few years I enjoyed the NRL on Setanta. They showed more matches than I had ti me to watch plus the footy show and state of origin. Great now I live in a none RL part of the country. The downside was watching the same guys walk out in the green and gold having watched how they play week in week out for their clubs. I was gutted when Setanta went bust.

Yeh so was I, premier sports has all the NRL now, replaying games at the moment, channel 551 on virgin, not sure if its on sky or not.

Be good for BBC or C4/C5 to win some rights, would be great for the game

It's a good sport - totally underexposed, compared to, say, news of JonJo O'Flaherty's brother tripping over a bale of hay while cleaning the tractor shed at the stables of the potential Grand National winner when it is born...etc. - if you see what I mean. All that Olympic effort too - doesn't hardly get a look in nowadays, does it? I have watched London Broncos at The Stoop, twice, Fulham, Brentford, Charlton and somewhere else I can't remember...and the Club are in dire trouble. One might think that London had 'an audience' , the sponsors and the grounds to 'share' - but there is a problem. The lowest of the low grade soccer will always take precedence in pubs and on tellies, as generally, people 'understand' soccer, and of course, can nip across the park for a game the following day etc. Everyone thinks they can play soccer, even if they stand around on a Sunday and shout. (Ever stood on the touchline and listened - it's entertainment!) Can't do that with the more technical sports, or one is likely to be severely exposed very quickly.
I was always astounded for example,at the dedication of the Tigers fans in troubled times, the Saints hoardes that descended on London. Total support; it's just a shame that the BBC doesn't build on what it has done and grow the game - that would be a positive thing.
Well done Aus. too. I caught up with the game on Sunday, and it was a suffocating display of control and power...New Zealand played well, but without invention to counter the skills they were up against.

Last edited:
Yeh so was I, premier sports has all the NRL now, replaying games at the moment, channel 551 on virgin, not sure if its on sky or not.

Be good for BBC or C4/C5 to win some rights, would be great for the game

You're a star :becool:. We've got virgin media but when I saw it mentioned earlier I presumed it was a subscription thing. Wrong. Tomorrow there's a state of original, a world cup game, an NRL game and XTerra triathlon to boot. I'll never have time to watch all that but I'll watch what I can.

Top Bottom