Rugby League World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I had an interesting chat with a senior figure in RL about the relative merits of RL and RU. The problem with RU these days is that all the players have got so much fitter and bigger. With 15 on the pitch v 13 in RL, there just isn't enough space to produce a free running spectacle.

In the amateur days the tight 5 forwards did almost no wide defensive work and the loose forwards struggled with it. Nowadays even the props are getting across. Hence RU being more of a spectacle when it was amateur.

Good point well made, probably similar issues RL had 100 years ago when they dropped 2 players from the pitch, begs the question, if both have identified the same issues and RL gone through the natural evolution 100 years ago will RU follow suit? Somehow I dont think so

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Good point well made, probably similar issues RL had 100 years ago when they dropped 2 players from the pitch, begs the question, if both have identified the same issues and RL gone through the natural evolution 100 years ago will RU follow suit? Somehow I dont think so

Zero chance I think as RU would perceive it as following RL. Of course the problem is only at the professional level as the amateur RU game is populated by less fit amateurs just as always. Problem is the RU rules cover professional and amateur games equally when in reality they are chalk and cheese.

I can't see an answer to this as you really need either a bigger pitch (impossible in present stadia) or fewer players. Expect more tinkering with the rules

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Speaking as a long time 6 nations and not really much besides fan, with all but zero experience of the league game, I've been really impressed over the last week or so by just how quick the game is, compared to union, and also by the level of skill in evidence. With that Fiji winger, eg, it wasn't just his speed and strength that were so impressive, but the incisive thinking and the swiftness and accuracy of passing in the tackle...indeed, some of the passing in recent games has been almost the single most impressive feature.

AndyRM

XOXO
I think the accuracy of passing has a lot to do with the limited number of plays you get in League. One mis placed or poor pass totally knackers a move so everything has to be spot on.

I dabbled briefly in League at Uni. I was surprised even at that level by the pace and accuracy of pretty much every ball.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I suppose passing and pace of the game I take for granted being a RL fan, although I did play both codes. (RL to a good level)
I found RU slow and the passing skills were far below RL at that time (90s), however as nickyboy points out thats not really the case now at pro level which has brought about its own problems
There are often around 400 tackles in a modern game of RL and the ball is in play around 90%+ of the time, leading to more rugby in a game than there used to be, we have seen more 20 point come back in the last 5 years than ever before (I suspect!)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think the fundamental difference between RL and RU (to RL's credit) is the 6 plays rule. Having to hand over possession after 6 plays of the ball forces the attacking team to make yards with hard running and incisive passing. There is no such imperative in RU so the tendency is to play a conservative style where the onus is on retaining possession. This, combined with too many super-fit pros on the park leads to a dull game.

Interesting that a lot of the really top RU-playing schools use RL as a means to coach better ball handling and passing skills

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
I think the fundamental difference between RL and RU (to RL's credit) is the 6 plays rule. Having to hand over possession after 6 plays of the ball forces the attacking team to make yards with hard running and incisive passing. There is no such imperative in RU so the tendency is to play a conservative style where the onus is on retaining possession. This, combined with too many super-fit pros on the park leads to a dull game.

Interesting that a lot of the really top RU-playing schools use RL as a means to coach better ball handling and passing skills

Nickyboy you obviously know your stuff, RU has been using RL players and coaches to improve those skills for sometime. I had heard that many Schools have been playing RL as its easier to pick up and play and everyone gets more touches and therefore enjoy it more. I hadnt realised it was a means to improve their RU also

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
Sooo excited, cannot wait for the matches today, England kick off at 1.00pm, not sure what time coverage starts on BBC?

updates here
https://www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueworldcup

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yes it was a great game. What a pity that the England team couldn't retain their composure in the final 2 minutes. The high tackle and Sinfield coming dashing out of the defensive line ultimately did for them.
I guess that is an example of the fine margins in elite sport. NZ didn't panic, England did.

I could watch that game over and over. Looking forward to the highlights, which will last a long time as there were so many of them!!

The other semi seems to be a fairly one-sided affair, not that we can see it of course that would have been far too sensible thing to do.

Top Bottom