Rugby World Cup 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Awful beer choice....
Edited for accuracy 😄

Mr Celine

Discordian
Look on the bright side. Chain cleaning rags just got a lot cheaper. :whistle:

1572701561190.png

Not a good game to watch, but South Africa were the 'slightly' better team.

However, no comment has been made about the appalling refereeing.

Farrell was penalised for holding the ball seconds after he went to ground and the ball was actually between his knees. 3 points to SA. Minutes later, a SA player was tackled and held the ball for a good 8 seconds. No 3 points to England.

He penalised England for being wheeled in a scrum, then shortly after, penalised England again when they forced South Africa to wheel. :cursing: 3 points SA and not 3 points to Eng.

As for the first try... The touch judge indicated that the pass prior to the try-scoring pass was forward. Well, they both were. A very short TMO viewed from a poor angle (with all the TVs around the stadium, it wouldn't have been difficult to find one with the correct view) and a try was awarded. 7 points to SA.

I'm not making excuses for a poor England performance, but a poor refereeing performance (especially in the world cup final) leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Anyhoows, roll on the 6-Nations.

Farrell was penalised for holding the ball seconds after he went to ground and the ball was actually between his knees. 3 points to SA. Minutes later, a SA player was tackled and held the ball for a good 8 seconds. No 3 points to England.

He penalised England for being wheeled in a scrum, then shortly after, penalised England again when they forced South Africa to wheel. :cursing: 3 points SA and not 3 points to Eng.

As for the first try... The touch judge indicated that the pass prior to the try-scoring pass was forward. Well, they both were. A very short TMO viewed from a poor angle (with all the TVs around the stadium, it wouldn't have been difficult to find one with the correct view) and a try was awarded. 7 points to SA.

I'm not making excuses for a poor England performance, but a poor refereeing performance (especially in the world cup final) leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

Absolute rubbish. There was nowt wrong with either pass.

Someone's got the red-rose tinted glasses on.

I have read several reports on the match and listened to all the comments during and after the TV coverage. Other than one in-match criticism by Dallaglio about that early Farrell penalty there have been no comments about poor refereeing from the people who actually are involved in the game at top-level.

That 20 points difference was not down to poor refereeing but to a great SA pack, England panicking under pressure at the beginning, great SA defence. Losing Sinkler early on also seemed to affect England a lot. Gatland appears to have been right to question whether England had played their final last week, as they just didn't have the same game today.

Chromatic

Legendary Member

No doubt the better team won but as you say the ref was terrible and England seemed to get the shoot end of the stick from him.

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
It’s just an extreme form of gentleman’s cottaging. I can’t believe the media hyping up England as the favourite when clearly SA were. SA cruised it with pressure fully on from the whistle. I also can’t believe all the saddo knuckle draggers getting canned up at 9am. Hope they had a nice hang over after dinner time sad with depression.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s just an extreme form of gentleman’s cottaging. I can’t believe the media hyping up England as the favourite when clearly SA were. SA cruised it with pressure fully on from the whistle. I also can’t believe all the saddo knuckle draggers getting canned up at 9am. Hope they had a nice hang over after dinner time sad with depression.

No SA were not favourites. They had been beaten by NZ in the group stages; and the bookies quite rightly had England as favourites.

On the day they just didn’t turn up and SA were the better team. I have no issue with the refereeing, it looked OK to me.

Having your tight head prop subbed after 2 mins is a massive turning point. Cole can’t play 80 mins and not be expected to concede penalties against SA.

NZ beat SA, ENG beat NZ, SA beat ENG

It's all about turning up and getting it together on the day. England did so superbly last week, they didn't this week. At the top three there's very little in it.

Top Bottom