Rugby World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
But that isn't what the instruction says - so we're back to interpretation. I'm not saying that the ref was necessarily wrong, just that it was a matter of judgement.

The instruction needs to be understood in context, it was an attempt to clarify what the punishment should be, not what the definition of a dangerous tackle was, so that a particular type of dangerous tackle would be reffed consistently at all levels of the game because people were asking 'in game A player X got a YC but in game B player Z did near identical things and got sent off.'

A ref who consistently misjudges what constitutes a dangerous tackles, something I've been guilty of myself to some degree in youth rugby, or misjudges other sorts of dangerous play, is a ref who will have a short career.

U

User482

Yes, but this type of "dangerous" tackle has been reffed inconsistently even within this world cup!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Yes, but this type of "dangerous" tackle has been reffed inconsistently even within this world cup!

In my opinion the ref was correct to send the Welsh player off. It was dangerous, and just because dangerous tackles have been reffed inconsistently does not mean that this decision was wrong. I have read all the hyperbole about the ref ruining the game for Wales, but I think he was right and all the desenting voices are as wrong as the fans who thinks his/her team can do no wrong.

lukesdad

i'm not sure why people are still bleating like welsh sheep about warburton's sending off. the fact is that despite playing with 14-men, wales had two clear chances to win the game.

first, the conversion attempt by stephen jones following mike phillip's try. he bottled it.

secondly, the possession near frances's try-line and over 22-odd phases of play from which they didn't even attempt a drop goal. they ran out their own time and the chance at winning. they bottled it.

so they got what they deserved.

No bleating from this side of the Severn mate. England got what they deserved and will do for many years to come.

No bleating from this side of the Severn mate. England got what they deserved and will do for many years to come.

I concur. I've wanted the All Blacks to win from the start but do feel some affinity towards England. However, 18 mins into the France vs England 1/4 final, I started supporting France wholeheartedly because England clearly didn't deservce to even grace the pitch.

yello

Whoops, I didn't realise Wales v Aus was this morning. I assumed it was tomorrow. The score suggests it might have been a good match too.

it wasn't , australia were much better. wales score flattered them. one try came from a pass that was so forward i thought we were watching american football and their other try came 2 mins into overtime after they took over 30 phases to finally break the aussie defence.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Wales are not a good as England because they lost three matches at the RWC where as England only lost one. Discuss :-)

rualexander

Legendary Member
Whoops, I didn't realise Wales v Aus was this morning. I assumed it was tomorrow. The score suggests it might have been a good match too.

I thought it was on tomorrow morning too, but luckily noticed in time to record it while I was at work and watch when I got home. I think a lot of people must have missed it, I don't know why they scheduled it for today given that the quarter and semi finals were on saturdays and sundays.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
it wasn't , australia were much better. wales score flattered them. one try came from a pass that was so forward i thought we were watching american football and their other try came 2 mins into overtime after they took over 30 phases to finally break the aussie defence.

I disagree. I don't think the score flattered Wales at all. They played well, and could easily have nicked it if they'd kicked better (let alone not lost their captain to a crap refereeing decision). On balance, the right team won. But it was far from a walkover, and Wales can certainly come home with their heads held high. They took the tri nations winners to the wire - that's no mean achievement.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm disappointed that Wales didn't win the match but they have shown they are a strong team that will be a force in this year's Six Nations and with a young team can only get better for the next WC.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom