Rugby World Cup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
pool games of the rugby union world cup are what sky+ was invented for. One sided? Just hit delete when you get home, something more of a match, like japan v canada, fast forward through all the ping-pong and just watch the worthwhile bits...

...works for me anyway.

yello

My lord England frustrate me. They seemed obsessed with playing up the middle. The have super quick wingers and seem hell bent on not using them. What happens when Wilkinson goes off and Flood passes wide? Ashton's in, that's what!

Johnson is old school and petrified of changing the way England play. No doubt he thinks they're playing to their strengths but that, for me, just demonstrates his lack of imagination and his unsuitability for the role.

Top marks to Scotland. I really felt for them when Ashton went over. They played with passion and a desire to win. A win's a win, I know, and England were putting the pressure on in the 2nd half but I just feel they could make life so much easier for themselves if they had just a little more creativity. They have the players.

Given France's pathetic performance this morning, I'm wondering if the England v France quarter final is something of a battle of under achievers. Both managers will say 'at least we are there' but neither have been convincing. Certainly other teams will want to be in that half of the draw!

yello

...but a damned spirited performance with no shortage of talent and endeavour. Reasons to be proud.

yello

That's an interesting take Adrian, I hadn't consider it. That is, that Wilkinson was calling the shots rather than following team orders. I was laying the blame squarely on the management. In truth, I don't know what happens or whether it's a mixture of both.

I'd like to see some of the England old boys retired (Wilkinson included) but I don't know the strength in depth of English rugby. Maybe these old codgers are still the best going whereas I (in keeping with my earlier statements) believe it to be Johnson hanging on to the past.

Keith Oates

Janner
The Scots had England on the back foot from the kick off and most of the first half, which is good for them. In the second half England were better and so the points came but slowly. Both teams played hard but of course I'm glad England won!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Watched that with my middle boy this morning, first game I've watched in years, my viewing tailing off to zero after I stopped playing. Was exciting for a bit but Scotland only ever looked like a side that might scrape through just to be immediately knocked out. At least England can, on paper improve, agree(I think) with Adrian, never thought of Wilkinson as a 'flair' player.

But really struck by how different it all looked, yes it has been that many years since I really followed it, lineouts, scrums and rucks/mauls(if you can still call them that) in particular. It almost felt like I was watching a different game, I don't know if it is different good or different bad as I'm not sure that was the sort of performance to judge on.

yello

Was kind of hoping that Italy might upset Ireland... long shot, I know, but there you go. Stranger things have happened.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I heard James Haskell saying in an interview that it's all about results. It's that attitude that permeates the English and Johnson's mentality and is the main reason that I can't be bothered to watch their dreary play anymore.

yello

I heard James Haskell saying in an interview that it's all about results.

Sadly, there's a context in which this is both true and an understandable attitude to have - depressing as it is. I'm sure you see it and realise it too.

Moreover, perhaps we as armchair supporters are being a little ingenuous in decrying it. Perhaps. Most people read results on the web, in the paper, even on teletext. There's little indication of how the result was achieved but a sense of relief/victory if it goes the way we want nonetheless.

Of course, one can get the results in style. There's no arguable context that prevents that!

lukesdad

In full flow this morning is there anything Gethin Jenkins can t do jeez its good to have him back !

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Sadly, there's a context in which this is both true and an understandable attitude to have - depressing as it is. I'm sure you see it and realise it too.

Moreover, perhaps we as armchair supporters are being a little ingenuous in decrying it. Perhaps. Most people read results on the web, in the paper, even on teletext. There's little indication of how the result was achieved but a sense of relief/victory if it goes the way we want nonetheless.

Of course, one can get the results in style. There's no arguable context that prevents that!

I take your point Yello but it really only applies to followers of the game. Those, like me, who take only a passing interest get turned off (as does the TV) by the interminably boring style. No converts, and losing the likes of me, can't be good for the game's development or good for the advertising revenues either.

I could include football in the argument without much difficulty!

Top Bottom