Runners vs Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Personally I prefer cycling to running albeit both have their place, & in the winter I like to run in the cold.
I'd like to share a couple of general observations & maybe somebody else will agree or not.
The first observation is that in general runners are much more friendly & polite in group situations. My second observation is that the serious club runners seem to have really storm weathered faces. This makes them look older in most cases. On the other hand I have noticed that when people take up cycling, they seem to look younger and healthier. There's lots of hardcore club runners who look unhealthy even though their WAVA scores are excellent. Another point I may add is that cyclists seem to be much more interesting people in general & lots of runners are totally square. Personnel hygiene, the cyclists smell sweet & the runners often have bad B.O before the race has even began. Sometimes this is with bad breath as well.
Regardless, cycling is just far more enjoyable. I'd rather ride a 200 than run a marathon for sure.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've worked it out that if you want the same beneficial affects,you have to cycle three times the distance you run. Am i right?

pjd57

Veteran
I've worked it out that if you want the same beneficial affects,you have to cycle three times the distance you run. Am i right?
I am sure that years ago I saw the figure out at 6 or 7.

Don't know what they base it on.

I was a slow plodding jogger at best
Anything over an hour and I had sore hips and feet.

On the bike , I can go all day without any aches or pains.

Still a bit on the slow side though.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Personally I prefer cycling to running albeit both have their place, & in the winter I like to run in the cold.
I'd like to share a couple of general observations & maybe somebody else will agree or not.
The first observation is that in general runners are much more friendly & polite in group situations. My second observation is that the serious club runners seem to have really storm weathered faces. This makes them look older in most cases. On the other hand I have noticed that when people take up cycling, they seem to look younger and healthier. There's lots of hardcore club runners who look unhealthy even though their WAVA scores are excellent. Another point I may add is that cyclists seem to be much more interesting people in general & lots of runners are totally square. Personnel hygiene, the cyclists smell sweet & the runners often have bad B.O before the race has even began. Sometimes this is with bad breath as well.
Regardless, cycling is just far more enjoyable. I'd rather ride a 200 than run a marathon for sure.

Have you posted this on the running forum as well? For a more balanced response. :smile:

Venod

Eh up
My times on the bike are not as good since I have stopped running, the knee's are a lot happier but the breathing isn't as good, I could push myself running and deal with the breathlessness, but on the bike I slow down until I feel comfortable, I suppose its because I am still making decent progress on the bike whereas if I slowed running I didn't think I was putting enough effort in.

I haven't run for two years+, I might give it a go this coming winter if I can motivate myself.

Drago

Legendary Member
I run and cycle, so the thread title me vs myself.

pawl

Legendary Member
I used to run mainly to get fit for the four peaks challenge I ran several 10ksWhat impressed was the runners that had finished some way in front encouraged the slower runners at the finishing line.

Top Bottom