Runners vs Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Triathletes are better than all of ‘em.

And whatsa wava?
What triathletes do when they're drowning during an open water race?

My times on the bike are not as good since I have stopped running, the knee's are a lot happier but the breathing isn't as good, I could push myself running and deal with the breathlessness, but on the bike I slow down until I feel comfortable, I suppose its because I am still making decent progress on the bike whereas if I slowed running I didn't think I was putting enough effort in.

I haven't run for two years+, I might give it a go this coming winter if I can motivate myself.

I know the feeling, I've not run for (seemingly) ages
I had recurrent foot problems, & changed my gait slightly so as not to hurt as much
Then, the knee hurt, when I returned to normal gait

The runners equivilant of wrongly adjusted cleats?

Plus, I kept eating as though I was running, & now need to ditch about 20pounds
That said, I don't think I over-eat for what I do at work, & all the riding

I was hoping to run a fell-race that I've entered for the past 8 consecutive years, in October, but I doubt I'll be fit enough

And for @Milzy
There's essentially the title of this thread taking place in November (where my avatar picture was taken!)
http://www.bingleyharriers.co.uk/events/harriers-vs-cyclists/
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/harriers-v-cyclists.225638/

Stephenite

Membå
Thanks for the (possible??) vote of confidence

I think I'd struggle to complete a ParkRun, at the minute, without stopping/walking (a complete buggeration, when I have a 21:44 PB, on my home-course)
I wasn't sure what you meant by "fit enough", I think. Injury (acute injury), and age slowing you down, are two different things. Obviously, you should try not to exacerbate an injury. :tongue: Especially, if you're getting on a bit :tongue:

Stephenite

Membå
Running and cycling only is so 2D.

Introduce swimming and you've got 3D!

Jimidh

Veteran
Triathletes are better than all of ‘em.

And whatsa wava?
Triathaletes are just fit folk who aren’t good enough to be cyclists, runners or swimmers - said slightly in jest ( because i’m A crap swimmer) but also there’s a bit of truth there too.

I run but I much prefer cycling.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I used to really enjoy it quite a few years back. Afraid age, and back and leg nerve problems make it difficult these days but I did throw in a little mile and a half on my walk this morning and quite enjoyed it. Hoping if I'm careful I might manage that two or three times per week without exacerbating anything. It actually gives me a better buzz than cycling to be honest.

Top Bottom