Runners vs Cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never seen it. I've seen Aliens Vs Predators though, is it similar?

I wasn't sure what you meant by "fit enough", I think. Injury (acute injury), and age slowing you down, are two different things. Obviously, you should try not to exacerbate an injury. :tongue: Especially, if you're getting on a bit :tongue:
It's just that usual conflict
It'll hurt, but I need to do it
I need to do it, but it'll hurt

I guess it's part psychological, I know that the legs have a good base fitness - up to mid 2017, I was averaging 1,700miles a year running (circa 2009 -2017)

Triathaletes are just fit folk who aren’t good enough to be cyclists, runners or swimmers - said slightly in jest ( because i’m A crap swimmer) but also there’s a bit of truth there too.
I run but I much prefer cycling.
I've been at fell-races, mainly the ones that @Afnug refers to, & seen both Brownlees in action (as Daves races, were their first non-School events, & they still get there if they can)
The last time it was Alistair, he started everyone, still in his 'track-suit'

So, set off last, a few minutes behind, he passed me, before the turn-around, looking so relaxed & effortless
A joy to watch...………. disappear out of sight

Plus, we have two guys in (my) Club who are magnificent, one of them; Terry, generally starts at the back, then sets off, & lopes past everyone
He's won everything from a ParkRun, to a marathon
His ParkRun PB at his 'home-course' (Nostell Priory - mine too) is 16:32

I've witnessed him start a trail-marathon, from the back
'Kirkstall Brewery' > along Leeds-Liverpool Canal > Saltaire > Leeds 'Number 1 Lock> (back of Leeds station) > 'Kirkstall Brewery'
And..... win by the best part of 20 minutes!!

Not forgetting that the towpath is full of other runners/joggers, dog-walkers, cyclists, fishermen, pram-pushers, etc...…..
Phenomenal, & such a very nice guy too

Is the race that starts and finishes in the Quarry with a Soreen Loaf for the finishers ? or I am mixing it up with another, the Woodheads promoted so many, I think the race I did from the quarry had a shorter junior race as well.
Yes!!
It is one of Eileen & Daves, but they've retired now, & handed the reins for the (Penistone Hill) events over to; http://www.wharfedaleharriers.co.uk/
Both Junior, & Senior races continue

I've done all of their events, barring 'The Stoop', I wasn't wearing a(compulsory) red/white hat, but I have done that course, when it was substituted at another race, due to ice/snow

This is the route of the Withins, that I want to run. Again
https://get.google.com/albumarchive...m503Vnx7OD41nEmPjPBcKiWWhoCJL0_JVm?source=pwa

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
This is the route of the Withins, that I want to run. Again

All this talk of The Withens Race has prompted me to look up some old results, I have found 2 sets of results from the same month !

11/01/1998 Woodys Birthday Bash 7 mile/1200ft (I think it was Dave Woodheads Birthday) Dave was given a 5 minutes head start, he got back first by13 seconds, Ian Holmes was the winner in 40:07, Daves time was equal to 15th place.

My Time 56:03 159th of 270

25/01/98 15th Soreen Fell Race 7 mile/1200ft

My Time 61:06 164th of 316

I can only assume that conditions detereated in the weeks between the races (my excuse anyway)

Last edited:
My 'Splash' history (the 'Soreen' race)

2010 = 154th/298 @ 1.03:09 (first attempt)
2011 = 179th/406 @ 1.02:09
2012 = 160th/370 @ 1.06:10
2013 = 195th/336 @ 57:05 (altered/shortened course, due to sheet-ice)
2014 = Did Not Attend (due to injured foot)
2015 = Did Not Attend (way too unfit)
2016 = Did Not Attend (knee injury)
2017= 221st/330 @ 1.14:36

I've never been a quick starter, at any run, so had to try & work through the field

A fall, at a XC, in 2012 left me even worse, after chipping my Femur, only just above the knee

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd never say I ran but used to genuinely enjoy jogging. Getting through that first couple of breathless miles then your body just switched into another gear, it all because almost effortless.
But I approached it wrong, poor shoes, probably poor technique and got shin splints and so slowly, then quickly gave it up.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'd never say I ran but used to genuinely enjoy jogging. Getting through that first couple of breathless miles then your body just switched into another gear, it all because almost effortless.
But I approached it wrong, poor shoes, probably poor technique and got shin splints and so slowly, then quickly gave it up.

Most people, if not all, run too hard and too far when they start. A buddy of mine has just taken it up, and he just won’t slow down - if he’s not sweating blood, it’s not hard enough.

I was doing intervals earlier in the year, but now I’m easy pace, breathing in and out through the nose, half marathon pace if I can. No injuries, no pains, no problem with the next run - what’s not to like?
:smile:

simonali

Guru
Do runners always wave and say hello?

'Proper' cyclists often don't wave/say hello to me because I don't dress like them. Baggy shorts, no helmet and normal sunglasses (I seem to have lost my Oakleys) makes me a non-conformist, I presume. I always wave at them anyway, if only to irritate!

simonali

Guru
People who think they are proper cyclists then. They think this because they're wearing lycra and a bit of polystyrene on their noggin and ignore others partaking in the same hobby because they're not dressed in the uniform.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Might just be me but whenever I see someone running they always look like they're about to collapse, they sound awful, have everything strapped up, and have that OMG expression on their face ! ^_^
I like to just poodle along on my bike soaking up the sun and absorbing the countryside at a nice leisurely pace .. :bicycle:
then have a slice of cake !

Tin Pot

Guru
Might just be me but whenever I see someone running they always look like they're about to collapse, they sound awful, have everything strapped up, and have that OMG expression on their face ! ^_^
I like to just poodle along on my bike soaking up the sun and absorbing the countryside at a nice leisurely pace .. :bicycle:
then have a slice of cake !
Most people, if not all, run too hard and too far when they start. A buddy of mine has just taken it up, and he just won’t slow down - if he’s not sweating blood, it’s not hard enough.

I was doing intervals earlier in the year, but now I’m easy pace, breathing in and out through the nose, half marathon pace if I can. No injuries, no pains, no problem with the next run - what’s not to like?
:smile:

Top Bottom