Runners vs. Cyclists...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I cycle with my local cycling club and run with my local running club (cycling I like:biggrin:, running is just convenient exercise ;)), I'm not really a club person, but tha gathering allow me to muse on the similarities and differences of each sports enthusiasts.
Certainly both camps are fanatical about their sport, their performance, nutrition etc. Cyclist are much more interested in 'kit' cos they have more and runners seem more concerned with orthotics and pronation.
But, the big difference is that the runners just seem soooo much more intense, really intense and serious all the time. The cyclist are also very focused but in a different, less intense way and when not pedalling are a much more diverse, joyous, noisy and animated bunch.
Runners seem more introverted and the cyclist more extrovert.

Does anybody else notice this or is it simply a quirk of my local clubs?

stevenb

I think its to do with the activity involvment. Running does keep you fit.....and its hard work. People do love it. My Dad is 55 but he's been running since he was in his late 20's.
Cycling has the versatility I believe. Runners do a little with X country, track events and long distance, sprinting etc but cycling can be fun and serious in so many more ways.

I admire runners....fell runners are supremely fit as are athletes......both sports have their elitists.

I guess running is like swimming in comparisson....perhaps?

yenrod

>fell runners - I see them as being soo amazingly fit... A VERY VERY RARE BREED ! Even different to a regular runner.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I enjoy walking on the Malverns. I would much rather share this area with cyclists than with runners.

On a recent walk I was stupid ;) enough to choose a walking route that partly coincided with that of a organised run. Note that I could not change my route at that point as it was the only way back to my c*r. I could not believe the arrogance of the runners who would not deviate one iota from their intended route, even when running two abreast. What was I supposed to do, climb up a steep bit to get out of their way or jump down a steep drop? Cyclists to seem to make more of a effort to slow down, move over to one side, and even to acknowledge my existence when I have moved well over to one side in plenty of time. With cyclists I try to move over to the side with the steep drop, so that they are in less danger. I am happy to share paths with anyone, but the key word here is "share", not allow others to dominate completely.

stevenb

I like walking too....although I'm not a ramblers member ;)
I think they shoot themselves in the foot with some very opinionated remarks about other countryside users.

Most runners I see are urban runners. My Dad runs on the street and x country. One of his old workmates was a ntural fitness bloke.....did a 100 mile marathon once and he used to run about 150-200 miles a week...crazy really....but it was completely natural to him.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, StephenB, I enjoy walking, but I am not a Rambler's member either.
They seem very keen on clocking up the miles, not seeing the scenery, and wondering why they never see any wildlife:wacko:. Their strongly-held views, not just on rambling can be very off-putting.

I much prefer walking in very small groups at a pace to suit, with time to stop to admire the views, easily done on the Malverns. I also walk on the Bredon Hills, where there are a lot of mtbs. The only thing I would say to mtbs in walking areas, is that we may not hear you, but if you make me aware of your presence I will get out of the way. On the other hand, I am nearly at the top of "your" hill, let me get to the top, and then you can go as fast as you like. Oh and mine's a Stella when you get to that pub in Ashton under Hill. ;):ohmy::ohmy:, it should be warm enough to sit in the garden.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well said Keith..

Although could have shot that fell runner that ran past a load of fit roadies climbing up an off road hill some years ago... we all said... "Flup it...." ;) Quicker running with the bike, but roadies are roadies on road or off road ....we don't get off it....

Get 'em on a bike and we'll batter them....

Runners - light weight, no muscle... cyclists vary, but usually have big legs, so not natural runners.....

Both sports can be complimentary, but not as a main sport, different muscles completely ! Just don't mention Tri - that lot need locking up !

Triathlon - the Sport of Misfits.

Several boring years taking part in Tris until I realised that 15 hours training a week was a poor substitute for a life. Started dancing instead.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Twenty Inch said:
Triathlon - the Sport of Misfits.

Several boring years taking part in Tris until I realised that 15 hours training a week was a poor substitute for a life. Started dancing instead.
xx(:biggrin:

stevenb

I'd like to do a triathlon.
Cycling and running are my better aspects...swimming is ok...but I tend to go for an age without doing any swimming....plus all triathletes joints knacker up later in their age...or early in some cases.....and that bit don't appeal to me.xx(

longers

Legendary Member
I've done a few sprint triathlons, good fun and I'm not too shabby at them.
I have found that all that swimming and running training does get in the way of riding my bike though.

I did my first one on my mtb with slicks. I was very near the top of the race at the pool because that is what I do best and on the cycling leg 12 people passed me. Only one of them replied when I wished them a cheery "Morning, how's it going? :smile: Grumpy buggers :ohmy:.

Top Bottom