Running....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Went for a short run yesterday, just 15 minutes at a gentle pace. Ouchee on the DOMS this morning!!!!! It's been a while since I ran last. Who else on here runs?

I like to run a little in autumn/winter, because I tend to work and commute less. It's a nice way to change what you're doing for fitness and I love it!!! I can't really run much the rest of the year because I'm doing about as much exercise as I can handle.

Occasional runner now I'm back into the bike. Mostly I use it if I've missed some time on the bike or if I'm going to go walking or similiar as for the latter it presses some muscles into service that don't get used on the bike. Also find it better for the heart and lungs than cycling.

walker

I run during my lunchtimes at work, then maybe sometimes get home and go on the turbo if I fancy it. Normally after a hard season in the saddle going back to running is a chore and is painful but after about 2-3 times out you get used to it. Keep it up Mikey and you should notice that next year will be a little better on the bike

Originally a runner, switched-over to cycling after a back injury, now doing both and tri's although I hate swimming.

Cycling becomes harder in Winter with cold & wet and dark nights in a way that running doesn't - weather that's a misery to cycle in is actually OK to run in after that first 5 minutes when you're warming-up.
Training with the running club is far more social than riding in a group, so that motivates me to get out too.

So tend to drop cycling down a level or two in Winter and increase the running.

Blue

Legendary Member
I used to do a lot of running, until I wrecked a knee in an accident :blush:.

A couple of minutes of alternate hot/cold water on the legs at the end of your post run shower should help with the DOMS - until you get 'used' to the training again.

Enjoy your running - I wish I could still pound the forest trails that used to be my second home!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I run in the winter as I find cycling in the dark and cold pretty miserable but running not as bad. I really enjoy it...once I get a decent level of fitness up. It's very theraputic.

PrettyboyTim

Mrs Tim is a keen runner; last time I ran it gave me some knee trouble. However the previous time I'd tried cycling in to work the same thing had happened so I might be alright to do it now...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I run once a week with a local club at the local track where my 12 y/o daughter goes sprinting. On a good night I shuffle round for 5k.
I can't say I enjoy running (never have) but it is another exercise session, I get to accompany my daughter and there are some nice people there.
As for bashing around the streets alone....forget it.
During winter it just helps me get out, during summer I'm gonna go back to TT's on the same night.
As for DOMS, running really does me in. Milkshake and Banana seems to help within 30 mins of finishing, stretching also essential. More so than on the bike IMO.
Keep at it Mikey...I know a good Masseuse!

Big Bren

I run more regularly than I cycle now that Winter is here; it's not an especially enjoyable activity, but the health and fitness gains are immediate and obvious, so the discomfort is a reasonable price to pay.

As FF says, to avoid DOMS and niggly injuries, make sure you warm up and down really thoroughly, and fuel yourself for recovery after every run. I nail a bottle of Frij chocolate milk within 30 mins of getting home, which seems to do the trick.

My running improved very quickly when I started using a proper training programme that included intervals, threshold and recovery runs. I'd recommend the BUPA website for some really useful info; I've followed their training programme for several months now and am running faster and further than I imagined possible. Well worth a look.

wafflycat

I don't enjoy running. Main reason - chesticles... running plays havoc with me chesticles, even wearing a sports' bra. I end up with bruised knees and black eyes..

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The run is really just there because I don't go to work when it's raining, so
I don't get to commute, so I lose a ride. Since I'm often too lazy to go out for a ride just for a bit of fitness, I end up going for a run!

Top Bottom