Running....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham O

Just been out for a few Km in the dark with a head torch. There are no street lights here, so at night, if there's no moonlight, it is very dark. Cold, wet, windy and because it's all off road, very muddy with deep puddles. Great fun. Hope to do some half marathons and a full one this year. Still harbour thoughts/dreams of an ironman before I'm 50!

Plax

Guru
Well, I bought some new running shoes in the sale about a week or so ago. Extra cushioning and all that. Not bad, went for a run in them and didn't get any jip with my knee. Might start off slowly again.
On my commute home today though, I was horrified at how long it took me to catch up with the runner I saw in the distance. It was all up hill I hasten to add, but even still she was practically running as fast as I was cycling!
Put me to shame, I must try harder!

SilverSurfer

On Sundays I do an hours fixed gear then straight back out to do half an hours run.

I take both sessions steady and I find that I get a workout that's up there with a 2-3 hour normal Sunday ride.

Works for me and keeps family off my back!

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
I was a serious runner for several years with the local athletic club and did lots of cross country, track and road races. I once did a 10 miles race on Southport beach with a vicious cross wind and finished 5th out of several hundred in about 55 minutes and won a telephone for my efforts. With some proper coaching with lots of speed work on the track you can improve no end. I was doing up to 90 miles a week at my peak but don't seem to have any of the knee problems that others have had. I would advice training on grass and forest trails as much as possible to reduce stress on the joints.
You can apply the same principles in running fitness to cycling ie lots of speed, strength and conditioning work.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I also find running shakes the lard around a bit more than cycling as well- I tend to lose more weight per hour than I do when cycling (if you know what I mean). Does tend to bugger up my knees if I go out more than 2-3 times a week though. It's also useful for exercise when i'm away with work as well- I find I can never be arsed to pack up my bike before I go, all I have to do is take a pair of runnersand shorts and i'm away!

Top Bottom