Running....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

BentMikey said:
The run is really just there because I don't go to work when it's raining, so
I don't get to commute, so I lose a ride. Since I'm often too lazy to go out for a ride just for a bit of fitness, I end up going for a run!

running in the rain is got to be the best for when its wet outside. waterproof Jacket and either longs or if your brave enough, shorts. Never been a fan of riding in the rain though, I've come off to many times in the rain to dislike it enough

bobbyp

Just starting running training for a half-marathon in March. I hadn't run at all until somebody talked me into a mini-tri earlier this year. Now I;ve found its a very relaxing way to spend, it seems easier to push yourself harder than on a bike at this time of year.

The plan is that when summer comes round I'll be fit at the start, usually I'm just getting there by autumn and I have to start all over again.

I used to do lots of running, up to half marathon distance, when I was a teenager. I was going too far too young and knackered my knees. I don't do it any more and I don't miss it. For me, all the fun of a bike is that you can use it as transport, and I can't imagine running somewhere because I wanted to get there, if you see what I mean.

yenrod

Last SAt' - when it was bucketing down (as sats my big ride day) as it was raining I thought a run just 15-20 mins: i hurt for 3days..

Massage the legs! it really does ease them down !!!!!!!!!!!

BentMikey said:
Went for a short run yesterday, just 15 minutes at a gentle pace. Ouchee on the DOMS this morning!!!!! It's been a while since I ran last. Who else on here runs?

I like to run a little in autumn/winter, because I tend to work and commute less. It's a nice way to change what you're doing for fitness and I love it!!! I can't really run much the rest of the year because I'm doing about as much exercise as I can handle.

Plax

Guru
I used to be a runner. Haven't run properly in over a year. I get aggro with one of my knees if I do any street running. I seem okay on the treadmill, but I don't go to the gym any more as I've taken up cycling and begrudge paying gym membership.
I tried running last weekend, and my knee started playing up again so I had the inevitable lecture from the other half about how I shouldn't be running on a hard surface. I do have a manual treadmill, but I find it boring and no way near as good as the motorised ones you get in the gym.

yenrod

Aint he a spanish waiter :biggrin:

Plax said:
I used to be a runner. Haven't run properly in over a year. I get aggro with one of my knees if I do any street running. I seem okay on the treadmill, but I don't go to the gym any more as I've taken up cycling and begrudge paying gym membership.
I tried running last weekend, and my knee started playing up again so I had the inevitable lecture from the other half about how I shouldn't be running on a hard surface. I do have a manual treadmill, but I find it boring and no way near as good as the motorised ones you get in the gym.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do a bit of running, and quickly built up to 30 mins last winter in between road sessions (when too icy) but now I commute, I don't do it... ridden myself into the ground doing the commute - fortunately get enough conjested traffic areas to 'give it some' plus 2 miles of climbing to get home.

Running kills your legs at first, but slowly build up (plus 10% is the rule), but don't over do it - biggest problem with cyclists - fit enough to run for hours, but the old knee and muscles will scream at you next day, or expensive trips to a physio.....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I was a runner originally till my hips forced me to stop. I did 50 marathons and many ultras of 50, 80 miles and a 24 hr event in the Lake District ( the Bob Graham). I maybe overdid it as I'm probably looking at 2 new hips in the not too distant future but cycling is much easier on the joints and I can carry on doing it relatively pain free. I'd have gone mad if I couldn't have found an alternative to running and I only wish I'd discovered cycling sooner. I love it!

Respect, Rich !

Did a very hilly 10 miles on Sunday as part of the build-up to a hilly Half in January.
Expected to ache a bit as this was pushing my mileage up a bit, let alone doing the steep uphills and even wose downhills, but surprised myself as no quads problems at all - but my calves...:thumbsup:

I might take the January Half as a training event and then go for it in a faster, flatter one in February (except last time I did it, it wasn't that fast as it was below zero, ice on the road and a stiff wind :biggrin:)

jay clock

Massive member
I added swimming to my cycling about 30 mths back, then just over a year back added running. I did a 1.8km run once, then stopped due to the pain - I think it is the same muscles as cycling but pulled in a different way. I then re-started with a programme called "couch to 5k" from here, http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml which does a "bit of walking bit of running" until you can run non-stop. Worked a treat, am now running 2-3 times a week, and it fits in well with bad weather and business travel, as really can do it anywhere. My max is 10k so far, but am looking at a half marathon as warm-up for a half Ironman. I did a few sprint distance tri;s this year and simply love it.

bobg

Über Member
Apologies for the Victor Meldrewism that follows but like many of you I ran, cycled, played football etc etc and I felt great and full of energy - trouble is 35 years later I really wish I'd maybe not been so enthusiastic/obsessive. Like rich p, the hips are knackered and the knees and ankles arent far behind. I still ride and swim, but for what its worth please take it steady and dont wear anything out before its time. As my old Mum used to say, "moderation in all things"... he said, retreating into lurk mode after putting the damper on thr whole thread!

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hehehe!! Some of us do listen to advice like yours. I've been taking it slow and just doing a little bit at a time and paying attention to my body. I've been doing small mileages, and far less than my cycling fitness will let me, as I know it takes time for your body to adapt.

Top Bottom