Sabbath AR-1 Ti

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
QR, I'm not sold on thru-axles, I can see the benefits from a performance point of view but the industry needs to settle on a standard first, at least three different pitch gauges on the thread before you get to the length, although that does seem to have settled. I've heard a few horror stories about cross threaded axles and know of who someone who managed to cream-cracker a frame by using the wrong pitch.

That's some good info on the TA, ta.:okay:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Thanks. Price is good at £1200 for frameset too :smile: and takes rack and guards

Shame only available at Spa right now and I’ve not really got time to head up there
They've got a couple of ex-demo versions (medium & large) for under £1900 if price is important (numbers 23 & 24 on this list). OK they're on Shimano hydraulics which I know you don't like but...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Spa is very close to Starbeck railway station, which is presumably on a branch line from Harrogate.

Starbeck is indeed on the branch line to Harrogate, last stop between York & Harrogate or first stop after Harrogate if coming from Leeds :okay: I may be going over late next week to look at/try saddles

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Starbeck is indeed on the branch line to Harrogate, last stop between York & Harrogate or first stop after Harrogate if coming from Leeds :okay: I may be going over late next week to look at/try saddles
Out of the station, turn left and then first left into Camwal Road, although I walked up from my hotel in Harrogate when I visited as the weather was good. Having had a test ride, they offered me the use of the bike for the rest of the day with no security required until my train home was due.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Out of the station, turn left and then first left into Camwal Road, although I walked up from my hotel in Harrogate when I visited as the weather was good. Having had a test ride, they offered me the use of the bike for the rest of the day with no security required until my train home was due.

If I get there next week, I'll be on my bike & cycling over to Ilkley from there, taking in a few of the climbs :wacko:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
They've got a couple of ex-demo versions (medium & large) for under £1900 if price is important (numbers 23 & 24 on this list). OK they're on Shimano hydraulics which I know you don't like but...
Yep I saw that. The spec really isn’t what I want (I did email asking for more info but no reply as yet). I’d likely just get a frameset, maybe wheels and source the parts for a Sram / TRP Spyre build and get an LBS locally to build (I’ll have Spa quote too and compare cost). It’ll cost more but seems daft to spend £2k on a bike that isn’t what I want!

I’m not going to travel next week as I need to actually rest on my day off not spend 8 hours travelling!

Venod

Eh up
If I get there next week, I'll be on my bike & cycling over to Ilkley from there, taking in a few of the climbs

I bet you haven't planned this one, if you have a cross bike take that and finish the day of with this climb, you can then get the train back from Keighley (assuming your not riding home) if you continue down the other side, its road some of the way then changes to rough road towards the top, (think it was all road originally) its road down the other side.

upload_2018-5-18_8-0-26.png

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I bet you haven't planned this one, if you have a cross bike take that and finish the day of with this climb, you can then get the train back from Keighley (assuming your not riding home) if you continue down the other side, its road some of they then changes to rough road towards the top, (think it was all road originally) its road down the other side.

View attachment 409782
That looks like the my planned final climb of the day :okay: I'll be climbing it from Keighley & dropping into Ilkley, after doing Norwood Edge & The Cow & Calf earlier in the ride :ohmy: but won't be on a cross bike, just my roadie :blush:

Venod

Eh up
but won't be on a cross bike, just my roadie

Its a bit rough higher up on the Ilkley side of the hill, but you can always walk, which should be no hardship after the Cow and Calf and Norwood Edge :sweat: I once descended Norwood Edge on a club run with one of the guys on fixed, I don't know how he kept up with cadence he was turning.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.9...110.88532&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Its a bit rough higher up on the Ilkley side of the hill, but you can always walk, which should be no hardship after the Cow and Calf and Norwood Edge :sweat: I once descended Norwood Edge on a club run with one of the guys on fixed, I don't know how he kept up with cadence he was turning.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.9154174,-1.8378436,3a,75y,205.11h,77.8t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s5Tje4bFqfYhrjP9EYfuXbQ!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=5Tje4bFqfYhrjP9EYfuXbQ&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=110.88532&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

Cheers for that, don't fancy walking, so may have to avoid that climb :blush:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
@Siclo are the disk brake calipers post or flat mount? (I'm assuming the former?) and is the mech brake on? And a GXP BB?

A friend and I are going to spend a couple of nights in York in a couple of weeks, we will drive there via Harrogate ;). I'll check first that they have a test bike. I think I'll go for a frameset only, source the parts at the best price online and pay to get the bike built locally :smile:

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yeah I went there last year to look at the Elan. It’s reachable from Harrogate and Leeds (or York but leeds Trains cheaper from London)
What's the difference between this & the Elan - front end looks a little higher on the Elan, but they do seem rather similar in concept? Interested in your insight as you've obviously looked in some depth at the Ti market :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the difference between this & the Elan - front end looks a little higher on the Elan, but they do seem rather similar in concept? Interested in your insight as you've obviously looked in some depth at the Ti market :smile:
I didn’t like the finish on Elan and prefer the frame detail on the Sabbath at least in pictures. Not seen in the metal yet (nor ridden)

Top Bottom