Saddle Height.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
This talk about the “unnatural position” whilst on the hoods has me baffled.

The most natural position there is on a bike is with the hands straight out in front with palms vertical. It’s like standing with your arms to sides. Try doing that with palms perpendicular to your body and post back. Guaranteed that it uses more muscles that way.

Each to their own on what bar type you like. I know it’s road drop bars for me. No question.

boydj

Legendary Member
Not entirely boyd, it's actually also quite theraputic to fix stuff yourself, particularly if it involves a bike of course.

I do know that - just being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I only draw the line at wheel-building personally, and I may well try that one day.

Alan O

Über Member
One of my favourite occasionally borrowed bikes is a flat barred hybrid. Unfortunately I only get to borrow it about once a year.
There are a lot of nice hybrids around these days, and it's one of the things I was seriously impressed by when I caught up on the way design trends had gone during my absence. I remember "sit up" style bikes as mainly being bedstead-tubed things that were just used for very short journeys by people who didn't regard cycling as a hobby/sport/whatever, and if you were in any way "serious" you got a drop-bar bike.

But today's hybrids, built on very nice frames and with top-quality components, are a world apart - and if I had the money to spare (and space to fit another bike!) I could be seriously tempted. I do have a rigid MTB (which I picked up for £30) and I'll probably fix that up this summer, fit road tyres and luggage-carrying ability of some sort, and use it like a hybrid.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This talk about the “unnatural position” whilst on the hoods has me baffled.

The most natural position there is on a bike is with the hands straight out in front with palms vertical. It’s like standing with your arms to sides.
It's more natural for one's thumbs to move together as you raise the arms, especially if your handlebars are narrower than your resting reach, like most people's dropped bars are. That is why many drop bar users twist their hoods slightly inwards, sometimes without realising, as they attempt to achieve the more comfortable position of North Roads.

Try standing as you say, then swinging your arms up so your hands are in front of you the same distance apart, then returning them back down. Now swing your arms up but bring your hands together to clap in front of you and return them - it's much easier because your hands naturally want to move closer in an arc as you raise them.

It's not as strained as palms facing down, but palms parallel is still unnatural.

bpsmith

Veteran
It's more natural for one's thumbs to move together as you raise the arms, especially if your handlebars are narrower than your resting reach, like most people's dropped bars are. That is why many drop bar users twist their hoods slightly inwards, sometimes without realising, as they attempt to achieve the more comfortable position of North Roads.

Try standing as you say, then swinging your arms up so your hands are in front of you the same distance apart, then returning them back down. Now swing your arms up but bring your hands together to clap in front of you and return them - it's much easier because your hands naturally want to move closer in an arc as you raise them.

It's not as strained as palms facing down, but palms parallel is still unnatural.
I follow what your saying, but still don’t find it unnatural. Might be just me?

Not arguing that you don’t find it unnatural though.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Oddly I find the hoods position more comfortable too. But haven't we decided it takes all sorts? Now what about opinions on flat v clipless pedals, and gel v 'razor blade' saddles? :crazy:

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
I have 3 straight bar bikes and 3 with drops, drops for me if out for more than a couple of hours. I also have Ergo grips on the 29er in an effort to help alleviate some carpal tunnel problem, they do not seem to help as much as using the drops.

That is a lot of stem showing in that photo, is it above the safe limit?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
So in practice, dropped bars don't give "give so many options," except for some occasional relief, and the one most riders use (the hoods) also leaves their hands in an unnatural position, just less extreme than the usual flat bar grips.

Also, braking from the hoods is normally weaker than from the drops, so I suggest any group where hood braking suffices isn't riding ever so close and single hand braking would suffice in most cases, allowing one to alternate which hand was on the bar end.

I agree, but drop bar advocates really should agree among themselves if it's the variety of hand positions or covering of brakes that's important to them! :laugh:

Most people have more than enough braking power from the hoods. I find it the most natural, comfortable position. The need to cover brakes varies according to your situation.
I also ride bikes with straight bars, and bar-ends, so I do have experience with various set-ups.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Now what about opinions on flat v clipless pedals,
Flat pedals offer a variety of positions whereas clip-in pedals, well, clip you in one place.
A few riders who don't use clip-in pedals have knowledgeable and trenchant views about how suitable they are, necessarily based on limited experience.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most people have more than enough braking power from the hoods. I find it the most natural, comfortable position. The need to cover brakes varies according to your situation.
I also ride bikes with straight bars, and bar-ends, so I do have experience with various set-ups.
But no North Roads? I can see why you might consider the hoods the best of what you list.

screenman

Legendary Member
But no North Roads? I can see why you might consider the hoods the best of what you list.

I have had a go on a bike with those on, it did not suit my natural hand position. Even sitting here now and turning my hands to that position feels wrong, of course that could be more down to my odd muscle make up rather than the bars.

It may also be that my back problems do not allow me to ride as upright as the guy in your picture does.

Last edited:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I have 3 straight bar bikes and 3 with drops, drops for me if out for more than a couple of hours. I also have Ergo grips on the 29er in an effort to help alleviate some carpal tunnel problem, they do not seem to help as much as using the drops.

That is a lot of stem showing in that photo, is it above the safe limit?
Bang on the limit.
Thanks for the concern!

Top Bottom