Saddle Height.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
This is the correct sized frame for me, it's just that I really like the bars as high up as they can be a la sit up and beg...hate leaning forward.

Do you not find all the road shock goes straight up your back, also I would imagine that would lower the power you can put through the pedals, not that that is important if speed is not your aim.

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Do you not find all the road shock goes straight up your back, also I would imagine that would lower the power you can put through the pedals, not that that is important if speed is not your aim.
As I have previously stated, I spend the majority of my time on cycle tracks unless I am going on a longer ride around the Gower coast but never really exceed around the mid thirties in terms of miles, apart from a couple over 50 here and there. I tend to average between 12 and 13.5mph.
The seafront track and Clyne valley is pretty smooth, so I can honestly say I feel pretty comfortable with my current setup and have found a saddle I get on with. clyne.jpg cycle track.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
But no North Roads? I can see why you might consider the hoods the best of what you list.

North Roads are too narrow on the tops. Shallow randonneur-style drops with a long flat section to the hoods are my preference for comfort.
My old road-racing bike has deeper competition-style drops, but I seldom ride even 200k on that. It's fine for a winter time-trial.

SuperHans123

Not always that clear, of debris or people, eh @snertos999 ?

Still nice though!
Well its a shared path and its outside, what do you expect? Less debris than the roads,that's for sure. And I'll take this view over London any day of the week, that's for sure.
I tend to cycle dead early at the weekends or evenings to avoid other human beings.

bpsmith

Veteran
Well its a shared path and its outside, what do you expect? Less debris than the roads,that's for sure. And I'll take this view over London any day of the week, that's for sure.
I tend to cycle dead early at the weekends or evenings to avoid other human beings.
I hear you. Just saying that it’s a far cry from the condition it’s left in over the Winter and then how bonkers it is over the Summer.

Looks bliss in the photo’s.

SuperHans123

I hear you. Just saying that it’s a far cry from the condition it’s left in over the Winter and then how bonkers it is over the Summer.

Looks bliss in the photo’s.
You're right about that.
In summer, if I am on it on a busy day, I just go on the roads from Mumbles onwards as the path can't cope with the numbers.

bpsmith

Veteran
You're right about that.
In summer, if I am on it on a busy day, I just go on the roads from Mumbles onwards as the path can't cope with the numbers.
There’s so much adjoining land along that route. It’s a shame that the cash isn’t there for segregated tracks along the full length.

bpsmith

Veteran
Is that the path that goes from Mumbles pier into Swansea? I've ridden on that! A very nice path it was too.
The s cons photo is on that route from Swansea to Mumbles. The first photo is on a path that goes from midway on that route for about 3 to 4 miles and ends up the complete opposite side of Gower.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It may also be that my back problems do not allow me to ride as upright as the guy in your picture does.
I don't see why back problems would stop that - the plusher tyres and slightly-lower sprung saddle means one's back (or backside!) doesn't receive many shocks even over quite rough ground where the bike is bouncing around (felt mainly through the hands). I guess it would be painful on thin high-pressure tyres and a hard saddle.

Actually, the pictured bike is using some unknown variety of Porters rather than North Roads because that's what came on it and I've never changed them because it wouldn't be much of a change.

The picture also shows me sat more upright than often because I'm halfway through an S bend in town - I think having the brakes at the most upright position makes more sense than having them on the hoods/drops because sitting up slows one down due to being less aero - and why would I have my hands over the brakes if I wasn't expecting to slow down? For pushing on in open country, those Dutch tri bars are useful ;)

Top Bottom