Saddle Height.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
But on the rides I do, virtually everybody is on the hoods. The last Audax I did, another rider actually passed comment on me being in the drops. Am I missing something or is it just fashion? Surely an American training programme wouldn’t offer vastly different advice on technique just on what’s trending at a point in time.

Perhaps people ride on the hoods because it is comfier?
And if they spend most of their time there, why not get a hybrid?
Because we prefer roadbikes? They are more comfortable? Now with shoulder issues (after being knocked off a hybrid), wider handlebars make my shoulder hurt. Narrower raid bars, holding the hoods or tops don’t. Horses for courses

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
All the bike fit people on this thread refer to drop bar bikes.
Maybe that is the issue, that these bikes just don't naturally 'fit' people because of the unnatural handlebar shape?
Just a thought from a hybrid riding snert!

Possibly. And possibly why you see older or injured riders switching to flat bars and bar ends. In touring circles it’s only the Brits and Americans who seem to have drops. Everyone else has flat bars. That said, I prefer drops for the multitude of positions and because I NEED to look cool.

My tourer has flared Salsa Cowchippers which are supremely comfortable.

vickster

Legendary Member
Possibly. And possibly why you see older or injured riders switching to flat bars and bar ends. In touring circles it’s only the Brits and Americans who seem to have drops. Everyone else has flat bars. That said, I prefer drops for the multitude of positions and because I NEED to look cool.

My tourer has flared Salsa Cowchippers which are supremely comfortable.
As I’ve got older and more crocked, I’ve gone from hybrids / flatbars to roadbikes as above

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
15mph is fast for pootle cycling ;)

Not too much in the way of bad gradients where I ride. So long as I don't get held up at too many junctions I reckon about 14-15 mph is achievable. I used to regularly do a 11 mile door to door trip to a relative in about 45 minutes on my 3 speed. The last few hundred yards are up a killer gradient though and I'd sometimes get off and walk as my legs would be killing me by then.

bpsmith

Veteran
Not too much in the way of bad gradients where I ride. So long as I don't get held up at too many junctions I reckon about 14-15 mph is achievable. I used to regularly do a 11 mile door to door trip to a relative in about 45 minutes on my 3 speed. The last few hundred yards are up a killer gradient though and I'd sometimes get off and walk as my legs would be killing me by then.
You need a 7kg road bike instead of that 16kg MTB. :smile:

(That’s tongue in cheek btw.)

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I ride a lot on the hoods, but have the bars set fairly low down so I can get a comfortable but very efficient position. I then use the drops when I really want to go for it. To me, that equates to a very flexible setup.
I have 2 bikes slightly different set up as you described earlier. I love the option.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have 2 bikes slightly different set up as you described earlier. I love the option.

Exactly this ^ OPTIONS. Each bike of mine needs to be comfortable but it would be silly just to have a fleet of clones. I like the variety and the difference in purpose and performance.

On my bikes, 50% have drops. 50% have flat bars. Horses, courses.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
What is all this BS about always riding on the drops in the olden days? Brake levers had rubber hoods in the 60s. I had Mafac Racers with hood covers. We rode on the tops and the hoods, much as today. On the drops when going hard. Try an image search for say: 'Anquetil Tour de France 1960s' - you'll see what I mean. The fashion was for bigger frames and less seat post showing. But the bikes I have today are set up with a similar drop saddle to bars. I'm over 70 and prefer drop bars for the variety of hand positions they offer, riding on the hoods or tops for probably 90% of the time. If you were on the drops all the time in the old days may I suggest you didn't know what you were doing, much as would be the case today?

1966-giro-anqueti-bitossil.jpg

Anquetil in the 1966 Giro d'Italia

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I find with my one and only bike, a Ridgeback, that the addition of Ergo grips with decent bar ends adds to the number of hand positions available.
Each their own.
I tend to just mooch about the Swansea and Gower coastline at around 13mph taking in the view.

Top Bottom