Saddle sore!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oddball

I've just purchased a second hand road bike and went for my first ride on Saturday. Just a short 5 mile ride, which took me a little over 15 mins. Not bad for my first time in about 15 yrs :blush:. Anyhow, my ass is still VERY sore. I want to start commuting soon. An 8 mile each way trip. So is there any tips on how to handle this? Do I ride through the pain barrier, or do I leave it a few more days before riding again and gently break my ass in? (oo err)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
What type of saddle do you have ? It took a few saddles before my ass found a real friend

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=6495

You go to the shop, sit on the assometer to decide the width of your sit bones and then look forward to the comfort thereon :blush:

wafflycat

Combination of factors.

1. If you haven't been on a bike for 15 years, it's entirely normal to feel a bit of an ache.

2. Saddle. Just because the bike has a saddle it doesn't mean it's the saddle that fits your rear end. A saddle that fits your rear is important. Example:- when I got my race bike, the saddle on it made cycling *excruciating* after less than ten miles. Switched saddle for one that fits my rear (in my case, a Terry's Liberator RaceLite) and I can be on the bike all day with no aches or pains in the rear.

3. Padded cycle shorts. Work a treat. If you don't want to flash Lycra to the world, wear them under a pair of longs.

Ivan Ardon

Although not everyone needs a level saddle.

Experiment, making tiny adjustments each time both to the saddle angle and seat height.

Top Bottom