Saddle Tilt Smashed - To share with the masses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Saddle angle, saddle tilt, saddle rake. Call it what you like. I have a preference for my saddle to be slightly nose up. As does @biggs682 with his watermelon wedge.

But I struggle to find and replicate that angle from bike to bike with the same saddle. I’ve tried marking a small level, but it’s never perfect. Measuring devices I have found cost north of £100.00. On the site I was working on today I asked the stonemasons what they use to work out the angle of the dangle. EDIT to add: You could use it to measure your starting angle should an adjustment not work for you or if you ever had to remove your saddle, you could put it back on with the same angle

Turned out they like the ‘Angle Pro App’. It is very good, accurate to 1 degree, free AND it comes in my club colours (Audax Club Bristol) You can also use it to work out frame geometry angles if you don't know already. Just hold your phone against the tube.

A2A9776D-40F3-45D5-BBF2-E1B0F13BFCBC.png

*Not the angle of my saddle. Illustration purposes only ;)

Last edited:

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I have an app on my phone called "Clinometer".
Does the same thing. Can't remember whether it was free though:scratch:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I can't say I've measured mine but I think it does very from bike to bike because of seatpost/head angle, reach etc.
One thing that makes the job easier is a two bolt saddle clamp which gives infinite angle choice rather than the single bolt cradle style which locks with each indentation.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Saddle angle, saddle tilt, saddle rake. Call it what you like. I have a preference for my saddle to be slightly nose up. As does @biggs682 with his watermelon wedge.

But I struggle to find and replicate that angle from bike to bike with the same saddle. I’ve tried marking a small level, but it’s never perfect. Measuring devices I have found cost north of £100.00. On the site I was working on today I asked the stonemasons what they use to work out the angle of the dangle.

Turned out they like the ‘Angle Pro App’. It is very good, accurate to 1 degree, free AND it comes in my club colours (Audax Club Bristol) You can also use it to work out frame geometry angles if you don't know already. Just hold your phone against the tube.

* View attachment 411805

Whilst the app may claim that sort of accuracy it is only working of the wizardry of your phones gyroscopic/geometric detector doodaa. How accurate is that?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Whilst the app may claim that sort of accuracy it is only working of the wizardry of your phones gyroscopic/geometric detector doodaa. How accurate is that?
I think repeatability is more important than the actual number displayed. All I want to do is replicate the seat angle over a number of bikes.
Having said that, I have my seat level, so I just use a short spirit level :laugh:

Tim Hall

I have an app on my phone called "Clinometer".
Does the same thing. Can't remember whether it was free though:scratch:
I've got Clinometer too. I'm too tight to pay for stuff like that, so I expect it's free. Make sure that if you've got the phone in a case that it doesn't act as a wedge and give a false reading.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ilke mine fractionally low down to easy the pressure on my space hoppers.
Me too.

Without getting into awkward genital comparisons, I'd just like to say that I don't have a clue how anybody can ride in comfort sitting on an upward-tilted saddle. I rode less than 8 kms on one when I first got back into cycling and had genital numbness for nearly a month after that! :eek:

Tin Pot

Guru

But I struggle to find and replicate that angle from bike to bike with the same saddle. I’ve tried marking a small level, but it’s never perfect. Measuring devices I have found cost north of £100.00. On the site I was working on today I asked the stonemasons what they use to work out the angle of the dangle.

* View attachment 411805

What does the angle it displays relate to?

The bike frame, the bike wheels, the ground, or some other frame of reference?

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
What does the angle it displays relate to?

The bike frame, the bike wheels, the ground, or some other frame of reference?

Gravity/centre of the earth

I can't say I've measured mine but I think it does very from bike to bike because of seatpost/head angle, reach etc.
One thing that makes the job easier is a two bolt saddle clamp which gives infinite angle choice rather than the single bolt cradle style which locks with each indentation.

This is true. For now I’m comfy, my sit bones are anchored and I do not get numb nuts.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Top Bottom