saddles and sit bones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK: I've done this thread once on BR and ended up with a Selle Italia Flite. Lovely saddle but it didn't suit me or the bike.

So now rather than ask what saddle people would recommend I want to ask a bit more about the process of picking one.

One of my problems is that, although there are a couple of decent bike shops nearby, the saddle selection is poor so I need to make a good a good guess at what I need.

So current saddle is a cheap squidgy gel: OK up to about 20 miles then progressively more uncomfortable. So I need a harder saddle which fits my sit bones which are 130mm wide according to some squirming with hands and rulers :sad:

Also current saddle doesn't taper enough, so I feel it rubbing slightly inside my thighs.

Thinking of a Brooks, maybe not the B17 but one of the others or at the other end of the spectrum a Specialized but for the latter I'm a bit wary due to the Sella Flite being a bit too minimalist. Previous saddles have been smooth with minimum padding but no 'channels'. I don't generally suffer with numbness. I do the usual of moving forward on the saddle when pushing hard.

So! any thoughts?

Tynan

Veteran
horses for courses I'd have thought

I get on with minimalist saddles, it's a matter of training yourself rather than the saddle I always think, the right pad thereafter

gel is bad, ditto big pads

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Tynan said:
gel is bad, ditto big pads

I think this has some merit - which is why I'm looking at the Brooks. I dunno perhaps I'm thinking too hard, should just trust my instincts.

yenrod

Specialized Toupe saddles as they are called, seem to be a big deal in cycling circles and quite a few are sold on them never mind their shoes both have had quite a lot of R+D on them and its paid off too. ! :sad:

NB they are available in diff. widths.

I'd recommend one with a hole in them.

Selle Italia saddles are hyped to me and although fairly comfortable - the best roady saddle Ive had was the Rolls...me' wonders about buying one as the 1st time I had this was on an MTB but now I've a ROADY bike should go quite well.

Getting back on subject...

Just get one with a hole in it ! ;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crackle said:
I think this has some merit - which is why I'm looking at the Brooks. I dunno perhaps I'm thinking too hard, should just trust my instincts.

I bought my first B17 over 20 years ago, I'm on my second now, I wouldn't use anything else for distances over 20 miles. Great straight from the box, plenty of room to move around too.

Noodley

Crackle said:

If you are thinking about a Brooks and can wait a wee while BikePlus, who are very well priced with "sale prices" anyway, usually have a very good "sale" on their "sale prices" just after Christmas. I got my Team Professional for about £45 last year - currently on sale for £52 (or thereabouts), with RRP of £65.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Fab Foodie said:
I bought my first B17 over 20 years ago, I'm on my second now, I wouldn't use anything else for distances over 20 miles. Great straight from the box, plenty of room to move around too.

I'm 'aving trouble picturing your bike. It's a Giant with a Brooks and a Barley on it. Quite an eclectic mix :sad:

Have you got the normal or the narrow B17?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Noodley said:
If you are thinking about a Brooks and can wait a wee while BikePlus, who are very well priced with "sale prices" anyway, usually have a very good "sale" on their "sale prices" just after Christmas. I got my Team Professional for about £45 last year - currently on sale for £52 (or thereabouts), with RRP of £65.

Why did you go for the team professional over the B17? The team Pro was the one I liked the look of actually but everybody raves over the B17

Noodley

Crackle said:
Why did you go for the team professional over the B17? The team Pro was the one I liked the look of actually but everybody raves over the B17

I was highly technical and analytical in my choice - cos it looks better!

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Noodley said:
I was highly technical and analytical in my choice - cos it looks better!

You see, instinctively I knew I wanted the team pro 'cause it looked better but I just couldn't say it: I'm over-analyzing aren't I?

yenrod said:
Just get one with a hole in it ! :sad:

I don't want to end up on the sex offenders register you know! ;)

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
You see, instinctively I knew I wanted the team pro 'cause it looked better but I just couldn't say it: I'm over-analyzing aren't I?

I don't want to end up on the sex offenders register you know! :sad:

I have the team pro and also the champion, which is like the B17 but nicer.

I have found that the team pro is a great saddle BUT you must ride with some of your weight on the pedals, ie the mid range cogs. When I ride alone I do exactly that and the saddle is just wonderful but when I ride with my wife then we take it easy and the saddle is not confortable after the 10 miles mark more or less.

So, now I ride my MTB when I go with my wife and I bought the champion for that reason. That saddle is great for riding slowly and also a beautiful saddle I must say.

Rick

Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel. Ive got two. Fizik do some great saddles, so do Selle San Marco (Rolls).

Brooks saddles are pervy and shouldn't be allowed on anything nonferrous or non BRG.

Chris James

Über Member
I've got a B17N. My selection was because it was the cheapest Brooks that would suit my skinny frame (and presumbaly narrow sit bones).

The other advantage is that it has bag loops.

Anyway, I find it really comfy. I have my bars a couple of inches below the saddle and maybe a more upright position would be better suited with the normal B17?

Gel saddles are dire in my opinion.

By the way Crackle, I vaguely recall you from C+ looking at buying a Dawes Audax? If so the black B17N looks nice with mine. If I am wrong and you have some carbon lightweight effort then the saddle might not look right.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Chris James said:
By the way Crackle, I vaguely recall you from C+ looking at buying a Dawes Audax? If so the black B17N looks nice with mine. If I am wrong and you have some carbon lightweight effort then the saddle might not look right.

Well remebered!

In fact I ended up with the Audax, it's just perfect for my needs. I've done about a thousand miles on it now and am just in the process of making a few changes inc. gearing, saddle and bag.

And exactly as you say, the Selle Italia I ended up with looked ridiculous on my bike. It was also too narrow for me, which surprised me as I am no heavyweight. This is why I went to the trouble of measuring my sit bones. If I've done it right and I think I have, then for my size I have quite wide sit bones so I think I need a saddle which is at least 140 wide (Selle Italia was 130 - Ouch). I also ride the Audax with the bars an inch or two below the seat nose and although I don't slouch along, I don't ride in a committed race position.

So having finally veered towards Brooks I can't quite decide between the B17 normal or narrow or the team pro. At the moment I'm thinking team pro because it tapers a little sharper, so won't rub my thighs. I also have a tendency, like many, to come forward on the saddle when I'm putting some effort in, in which case I want less saddle under me as there is more weight taken on arms and legs - at least that's the theory. I also think if the B17 is too wide, it'll push me forward and then I'll end up lifting the nose to stop me coming forward and it'll all get a bit uncomfortable.

I think I'll just buy one. I'll know in one ride if I've made the wrong choice. I could then flog it on hardly used and recoup most of the money. If I get the team pro and it's wrong I should get the price of the B17 back. So a B17 for the price of Pro :sad:

Top Bottom