Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

So my new bike has a Fizik Aliante R5 saddle. I expect for some people it’s fine but for me it is a cause of great concern. Serious numbness in parts that I would like to continue to function.

Difficult to ask for recommendations really on what is such a personal choice. We’re all different. But I need to do something so thought I’d ask what people have done when experiencing the same issue.

I’m going to whip the Bontrager Sport saddle off my hybrid and try that as a short term fix as that saddle has been really good, even at the longer distances. It’s only a £20 saddle and it weights 350g compared with 245g for the unusable Fizik. So not too bad.

I’m wondering whether if that works as expected, if I should just get another one safe in the knowledge that the issue is solved or whether I should be shopping around for something a bit higher range.

The different position on a road bike compared to a hybrid may also be contributing but I feel a saddle with a cut out should avoid the issue I’ve been having.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Saddles are personal; I use a 128mm Bontrager Paradigm RL that has no padding and is far too narrow for most.

Once you've found a saddle you like then there may be lighter versions of it but at least it fits.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have found that price has little to do with comfort. In the Fizik range I am a big fan of the Aliante and have them on most of my bikes. Conversely the Antares is good for only about 100km before it becomes uncomfortable and the Arione has been relegated to a box of spares as I can only survive about 30km.

So my new bike has a Fizik Aliante R5 saddle. I expect for some people it’s fine but for me it is a cause of great concern. Serious numbness in parts that I would like to continue to function.

Difficult to ask for recommendations really on what is such a personal choice. We’re all different. But I need to do something so thought I’d ask what people have done when experiencing the same issue.

I’m going to whip the Bontrager Sport saddle off my hybrid and try that as a short term fix as that saddle has been really good, even at the longer distances. It’s only a £20 saddle and it weights 350g compared with 245g for the unusable Fizik. So not too bad.

I’m wondering whether if that works as expected, if I should just get another one safe in the knowledge that the issue is solved or whether I should be shopping around for something a bit higher range.

The different position on a road bike compared to a hybrid may also be contributing but I feel a saddle with a cut out should avoid the issue I’ve been having.
I had an Arione and had the same problem! Recently got a cheap Nukeproof which is comfy, the flatter saddles work for me. Prologo on other bike also very good and very light.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Charge Spoon or Fabric Scoop are good for me.

I'm tempted by that Charge Spoon. Or one of the Bontrager models with a cut out.

Sharky

Guru
Your two saddles, one is approx 141mm wide and the other 163mm wide, so this could be the reason. The wider saddle might be the one for you.

But could be other possibilities. Where do you actually sit on the saddle? Are you right at the back or do you slip forward? Are the saddle set backs from the BB the same? With the 163mm one, you could actually be sitting a bit forward and only needing a 145 ish saddle, but if you are doing the same on the 141 saddle, you might only be using 130 of the width.

Next, the difference in hybrid/road positions are likely to be that you are adopting a more aggressive position, with the bars lower down relative to the saddle. To compensate for the difference, you might need to tilt the saddle nose down. A tiny adjustment can make a huge difference. Or move the saddle forward?

Your strategy to initially switch the saddles is a good approach.

Good luck

PS were all different, but for what it's worth, mine is a San Marco Regal, on all 4 bikes. Was lucky that I bought a bike with one of these on it about 25 years ago and was the "Golden Ticket" for me.

si_c

Guru
Could be worth turning the saddle nose down just a little bit to see if that helps or shifting it slightly forward.

Both my road bikes have a Fabric Line Elite saddle fitted - it's 134mm wide and I much prefer the narrow fit of it. With the cut-out and properly positioned it's very comfortable even on longer rides.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Could be worth turning the saddle nose down just a little bit to see if that helps or shifting it slightly forward.

Both my road bikes have a Fabric Line Elite saddle fitted - it's 134mm wide and I much prefer the narrow fit of it. With the cut-out and properly positioned it's very comfortable even on longer rides.
I did move it forward yesterday but I couldn't figure out how to tilt it down with the fancy Canyon flip-head design that's supposed to make it easy 🤷‍♂️
I think I need to tighten the front bolt and slacken off the back one so may have a go tonight before I resort to the almost ineviitable switching of saddles.

Sharky

Guru
I think I need to tighten the front bolt and slacken off the back one so may have a go tonight before I resort to the almost ineviitable switching of saddles.
If the seat post has two bolts like you describe, that's the way to do it. I much prefer this type as you can fine tune much easier than the ones with a single bolt.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

If the seat post has two bolts like you describe, that's the way to do it. I much prefer this type as you can fine tune much easier than the ones with a single bolt.
It does. Ignore the 'prime comfort in the saddle'. It's been extremely uncomfortable but that's probably just my particular combination of sit bones, position and my weight.
Screenshot.png

Sharky

Guru
It does. Ignore the 'prime comfort in the saddle'. It's been extremely uncomfortable but that's probably just my particular combination of sit bones, position and my weight.
View attachment 554082
I'm not familiar with that type. I was thinking of something different. As you usually get with in-line posts. But it's a good place to start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom