Safe cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
kewb said:
i was out on a ride today (maybole area ) on my return journey through alloway i caught sight of a mother and two kids the woman was coaching her kids away from the road and looked shocked ,
no wonder ,
less than 8 inches from my back tyre was a quarry wagon skidding because he tried to overtake me and his route was blocked ,
if that had hit me i wouldnt have known anything about it , i knew it was there but thought it further back (had mp3 on ) , i dont blame the mp3 as the lorry wouldve tried overtaking anyway and i was flat out with tired legs unable to get out its path .

got off bike for a shorts check , and the woman said she thought i dead , lorry kept going ,
doubt i couldve done a thing , sometimes crap happens you cant avoid .

Don't you think it's a bit dangerous to cycle with music on?

gavintc

Guru
benb said:

And what action would he have taken? The music is incidental to the event. A truck at your back wheel will be a truck at your back wheel whether you have music plugged in or not.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
gavintc said:
And what action would he have taken? The music is incidental to the event. A truck at your back wheel will be a truck at your back wheel whether you have music plugged in or not.

OK, in this specific situation. But generally I would think it is a bad idea to remove one of the things that helps you stay alert and aware.

Just my opinion though.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
gavintc said:

+1

Arch

Married to Night Train
benb said:
OK, in this specific situation. But generally I would think it is a bad idea to remove one of the things that helps you stay alert and aware.

Just my opinion though.

I take my MP3 on day rides - I just have it low enough that I can still hear everything I need to.... I've never felt it has restricted my senses....

I agree with gavin on this one - there are some pillocks you can't do anything about - fortunately they are rare - arer than it would seem from reading forums like this, because we all tend to report the negative and not the mundane or positive.

buggi

Bird Saviour
benb said:

No

gavintc said:

i agree. often people ask me if i should ditch the ipod, but my reply is, i know the traffic is there (you can still hear it) and jUst because i can hear someone behind me is not going to tell me whether the idiot is going to run me over. quite frankly, i think i'd rather not know.

also, why do people say this to cyclists, but don't think about drivers being cocooned in there car with windows up and music on? They use their mirrors when maneouvering, i turn my head and look behind me. same thing.

the only reason i can think for ditching the ipod is that it gives drivers an excuse (one lorry driver told me he deliberately drove into my path because in his opinion i shouldn't be wearing my ipod... i told him i would seek his employer's opinion on that!) and it does worry me slightly that insurance company's will take the same line with that as with cyclists not wearing helmets, and use it as an excuse to pay less compensation to victims of their idiot clients.

jackthelad

Hi guys thought I would add to the post.I also use an mp3 player but only keep the speaker in my left ear and my right ear left empty to hear traffic.So apart from the music,I thought I would add the following to the post.I use hand signals all the time and it works.approaching an entrance to the left with high hedges then a right hand goes out just to let drivers know behind me that i will be moving slightly out as to give a bit of room incase a vehicle is approaching the entrance.After I pass the entrance I move slightly in and give a thumbs up to drivers behind me,lets them feel good with them thinking they are a considerate driver.Also do this at islands in the middle of the road and where people with dogs on the path at the side. Basically anywhere I need to change my position on the road to accommodate the what (IF) syndrome.

While on roundabouts going right I watch the approaching traffic and try to get eye contact.If the driver is still travelling fast to the junction then I use the police stop signal,hand straight out,most times this works and the driver slows down,again I give the thumb up just to say thanks.Another time I use the thumbs up is at traffic lights where I have overtaken a few vehicles and went to the front.If a truck or bus is at the front I turn around if there is time and give the thumbs up to the driver,if he gives the thumbs up back then I know he has noticed me.Its only a small thing but it does work,helps reduce road rage as you are complimenting the drivers and keeps you safe.JUst some small tips I thought I could pass on as every tip helps and nobody knows it all

jackthelad

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
buggi said:
Often people ask me if i should ditch the ipod, but my reply is, i know the traffic is there (you can still hear it) and jUst because i can hear someone behind me is not going to tell me whether the idiot is going to run me over. quite frankly, i think i'd rather not know.

also, why do people say this to cyclists, but don't think about drivers being cocooned in there car with windows up and music on? They use their mirrors when maneouvering, i turn my head and look behind me. same thing.

the only reason i can think for ditching the ipod is that it gives drivers an excuse (one lorry driver told me he deliberately drove into my path because in his opinion i shouldn't be wearing my ipod... i told him i would seek his employer's opinion on that!) and it does worry me slightly that insurance company's will take the same line with that as with cyclists not wearing helmets, and use it as an excuse to pay less compensation to victims of their idiot clients.

Well said buggi at last someone talking sense :biggrin:

Top Bottom