Sat nav for on bike, garmin help ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
Why would the whole series be overkill? But we're back to this same argument... A smartphone app might be brilliant for some but hopeless for another.

If you seek a cycling specific handlebar/stem mounted navigation unit, a NUVI 205 is not it, and a smartphone is not it.

No-one's arguing that if you want a cycling specific GPS unit, then the Edge series is the way forward. If you want ANT+ capability and training modes, then the 500/800 units are just the ticket. But if all you want is basic info (speed, distance etc) and a map then the 800 is overkill, a smartphone/etrex fits the bill. It's that simple.

Tony.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No-one's arguing that if you want a cycling specific GPS unit, then the Edge series is the way forward. If you want ANT+ capability and training modes, then the 500/800 units are just the ticket. But if all you want is basic info (speed, distance etc) and a map then the 800 is overkill, a smartphone/etrex fits the bill. It's that simple.

Tony.
You haven't read much of the thread then.

rams1de

I was very interested in this unit when I saw it available from Wiggle, I'm not interested in HRM, Cadence etc but would like a reliable Sat Nav with on and off road routes.

I'm a little cautious as I remember the Garmin Sat Nav I bought for the car a few years ago wasn't very good. Not seen a lot of feedback from owners of the Edge Touring but apparently it uses the much maligned 810 firmware. I don't fancy risking the outlay until I read some compelling reviews.

Peteaud

Veteran
I was very interested in this unit when I saw it available from Wiggle, I'm not interested in HRM, Cadence etc but would like a reliable Sat Nav with on and off road routes.

I'm a little cautious as I remember the Garmin Sat Nav I bought for the car a few years ago wasn't very good. Not seen a lot of feedback from owners of the Edge Touring but apparently it uses the much maligned 810 firmware. I don't fancy risking the outlay until I read some compelling reviews.

Interested in it myself but i am waiting for some more reviews until i decide.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've just told the wife that's the one I want for Xmas.

Not being a local to this area, I sometimes get lost. The last time I added about 20 miles to the route by taking a wrong turn and what started off as a gentle wee run ended up a bit of a gruelling exercise. So I want a sat nav that I can plan routes on but also have a sense of where I am with good maps. That way if I see an interesting looking track branching off, I can explore it with confidence. I don't need cadence, heart rates or any of that stuff cos I'm an overweight slob just looking to enjoy cycling without trying to kill myself.

Hopefully I've picked the right one.

binsted

As an edge 800 user I can only re-iterate what has already been said, they are a great training aid but the hrm/cadence and set up is a bit fragile. If you want a "sat nav" for touring there are better options. I would not buy another Edge

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Hmm.

The wife got me a Touring as an early Xmas present - yay! ^_^
I did a wee spin around town and it worked great - yay!^_^
But Strava doesn't recognise the device - boo!:angry:
And the .fit file on the device seems to be empty - boo!:angry:

Peteaud

Veteran
Hmm.

The wife got me a Touring as an early Xmas present - yay! ^_^
I did a wee spin around town and it worked great - yay!^_^
But Strava doesn't recognise the device - boo!:angry:
And the .fit file on the device seems to be empty - boo!:angry:

Pics and a full review if you please .... :laugh:

What is the .fit file?

Nice xmas present as wel, nice one.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
As an edge 800 user I can only re-iterate what has already been said, they are a great training aid but the hrm/cadence and set up is a bit fragile. If you want a "sat nav" for touring there are better options. I would not buy another Edge
Is it? Far from my experience :smile:

zacklaws

Guru
the hrm/cadence and set up is a bit fragile. If you want a "sat nav" for touring there are better options.

Far from my experience too, I have it set up on three bikes, done over 18000 miles with the "800" and never had a problem on that side of life apart for HR straps going iffy. Navigation is another thing though and the "800" is far from perfect for touring and there are better options. On my own patch, any peculiarities with the navigation is easily spotted and corrected, but out of your own patch, you can be took on wild goose chases and not know till later. For Audax's etc, touring and riding out of my own patch, I use a Garmin Dakota 20 which is far superior for navigation.

Top Bottom