Sat nav for on bike, garmin help ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Now I know what you meant, it doesn't have voice instructions - it doesn't need voice instructions.

200 IIRC

Maybe not - other people in the thread clearly do care about functions Garmin units offer, including navigation - at which a phone with an app cannot compete.

"I like the fact that I can concentrate on where I'm going rather than looking at the screen." :rolleyes:

That's great, but try to remember you're in a thread that has became Garmin Q&A. Your app may do what you want it and have an extra whistle to blow. That does not make it better or comparable.

ps: 14-15hrs on a garmin for a single charge.

£200 new. You're out of touch.

It seems that if I don't agree with your POV then I should not post. I know a few people that don't want the extra functionality the Garmin 800 has to offer but are interested in a very good navigation system.

£200 new? Where, link please?I can't see it for that price. The version that hasn't got all the bits and pieces you are talking about is listed at £226 on Handtec website but the one with all the bits you like is £270. So I guess I'm out of touch ^_^

I understand you defending the Garmin 800 - It's an excellent devise for people that need all the cadence, HRM and other things. But, for street navigation, I still believe the Osmand application I have on my phone is fantastic and there are people like me that all they are after it's a good navigation system, something that come close to what they have in their cars.

You seem determine to tell people the option for navigation via a smart phone cannot be compared with the Garmin 800 when you couln't be more wrong. If Navigation is what you are after and the other things that Garmin 800 has to offer are not important to you then I'd choose Osmand app every time.

Just the other day I was riding and following the instructions of my phone where to turn. there were three turns very close to each other with a mini roundabout in between, I had cars on my tail and pedestrians crossing the road (the kind that cross the road when they see a cyclist but not when they see a car :laugh:) . I managed to negotiated everything safely and easily because I didn't have to look at the screen.To me that is fantastic.

When I switch the screen off and the the audio on, I get more like 70 hours with the battery pack. and about 17 hrs with only the battery. That is more than I need so I only switch the screen off on occasions.

The disadvantage for me is that I like listening to music on my phone and when I need navigation, I cannot do both at the same time. Taking phone calls while using the navigation or listening to music is about the same for me as I stop and take the call.

If I ever buy a Garmin it will be because it's easy to mount on the handlebars and it will be the 800 because of the navigation features, but it seems a lot of money for something I already have, navigation.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It seems that if I don't agree with your POV then I should not post. I know a few people that don't want the extra functionality the Garmin 800 has to offer but are interested in a very good navigation system.
None of those people are in this thread.

£200 new? I can't see it for that price. Link please. The version that hasn't got all the bits and pieces you are talking about is listed at £226 on Handtec website but the one with all the bits you like is £270. So I guess I'm out of touch ^_^
As I said. £200 brand new warranty replacement on ebay. Patience is a virtue.

I understand you defending the Garmin 800 - It's an excellent devise for people that need all the cadence, HRM and other things. But, for street navigation, I still believe the Osmand application I have on my phone is fantastic and there are people like me that all they are after it's a good navigation system, something that come close to what they have in their cars.
It's irrefutably the best GPS cycling computer available before you consider maps and routing. A smart phone with an app is not this.

You seem determine to tell people the option for navigation via a smart phone cannot be compared with the Garmin 800 when you couln't be more wrong. If Navigation is what you are after and the other things that Garmin 800 has to offer are not important to you then I'd choose Osmand app every time.
Like you seem to have missed. Those asking questions about garmin units (in this thread) generally do want some form of course functionality or routable mapping from a cycling computer. A smart phone with an app is not this.

Just the other day I was riding and following the instructions of my phone where to turn. there were three turns very close to each other with a mini roundabout in between, I had cars on my tail and pedestrians crossing the road (the kind that cross the road when they see a cyclist but not when they see a car :laugh:) . I managed to negotiated everything safely and easily because I didn't have to look at the screen.To me that is fantastic.
You know, this isn't anything spectacular but well done.

When I switch the screen off and the the audio on, I get more like 70 hours with the battery pack. and about 17 hrs with only the battery. That is more than I need so I only switch the screen off on occasions.
17 hrs - smartphone: does not compute

The disadvantage for me is that I like listening to music on my phone and when I need navigation, I cannot do both at the same time. Taking phone calls while using the navigation or listening to music is about the same for me as I stop and take the call.
Ahh there's the real reasoning for smart phone/app love, but if you had a garmin :laugh:

If I ever buy a Garmin it will be because it's easy to mount on the handlebars and it will be the 800 because of the navigation features, but it seems a lot of money for something I already have, navigation.
:banghead: You need to stop looking at one function and maybe consider the whole package. No phone can compete.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
None of those people are in this thread.

Oh, I see. Does it say "don't read this thread if you would consider anything but a Garmin 800?"

As I said. £200 brand new warranty replacement on ebay. Patience is a virtue.

That's not what I had in mind.... yeah, I'm out of touch, along with many others ^_^

It's irrefutably the best GPS cycling computer available before you consider maps and routing. A smart phone with an app is not this.
I don't need a cycling computer as such, I have a little one that tells me everything I need to know. I want navigation, other people might want that too, that is, of course, with your permission.

Like you seem to have missed. Those asking questions about garmin units (in this thread) generally do want some form of course functionality or routable mapping from a cycling computer. A smart phone with an app is not this.

What do you mean? An app does not do course functionality, like what? Routable mapping is automatically done.

17 hrs - smartphone: does not compute
Try setting your smartphone to Airplane mode with screen off, GPS on and an application like Osmand and see how many hrs you get. I guy that uses Osmand for trekking claims to get 20 hrs from his smart phone.

Ahh there's the real reasoning for smart phone/app love, but if you had a garmin :laugh:

Well, if the Garmin offered me better navigation than my phone I would order one right now. At this point I'm closer to buying another phone or simply an MP3 player instead :laugh:

I understand that for some cyclist the 800 offers everything they need. Fantastic that is great. On the other hand there are cyclist that don't need HRM, Cadence, Power, etc. I have a little computer that tells me the speed, distance and a bunch of other things I don't need. What I need is to go from A to B and for that there are more choices than the Garmin 800, something you fail to understand. I'm not forcing you, nor even trying to convince you that you leave your Garmin at home and use your smart phone instead, I know the phone would never do what you want. The same way the garmin does not do voice navigation for me. Am I the only one that wants that? I don't think so, I know a few people that would love a Garmin with voice navigation, speed, distance maybe altitude. Something simple but useful. Not everybody is racing or trying to beat a time.

You can stay with your Garmin 800 and I'll stay with my phone app.How is that? ^_^

For people that want navigation only then consider a smart phone + Osmand.

:banghead: You need to stop looking at one function and maybe consider the whole package. No phone can compete.[/quote]

T.M.H.N.E.T

Oh, I see. Does it say "don't read this thread if you would consider anything but a Garmin 800?"
You didn't read the thread did you?

That's not what I had in mind.... yeah, I'm out of touch, along with many others ^_^
:smile:

I don't need a cycling computer as such, I have a little one that tells me everything I need to know. I want navigation, other people might want that too, that is, of course, with your permission.
They might. But had you read the thread most seem more interested in breadcrumb trails over navigation and virtual partner.

What do you mean? An app does not do course functionality, like what? Routable mapping is automatically done.
"From a cycling computer" A cycling computer that at least(200) displays speed/average and at most(800/810) displays 40odd potential fields of data to salivate over.

Once again - a smartphone does not do this. Hence why people generally ask about GPS units /brytons/garmins/holux for specific applications like cycling.

Try setting your smartphone to Airplane mode with screen off, GPS on and an application like Osmand and see how many hrs you get. I guy that uses Osmand for trekking claims to get 20 hrs from his smart phone.
Battery life isn't a concern for me.

Well, if the Garmin offered me better navigation than my phone I would order one right now. At this point I'm closer to buying another phone or simply an MP3 player instead :laugh:
It does. You just don't want to know it.

I understand that for some cyclist the 800 offers everything they need. Fantastic that is great. On the other hand there are cyclist that don't need HRM, Cadence, Power, etc. I have a little computer that tells me the speed, distance and a bunch of other things I don't need.
Edge 200 is perfect.

What I need is to go from A to B and for that there are more choices than the Garmin 800, something you fail to understand.
There are more choices. But none are better - something you fail to understand.

I'm not forcing you, nor even trying to convince you that you leave your Garmin at home and use your smart phone instead, I know the phone would never do what you want. The same way the garmin does not do voice navigation for me. Am I the only one that wants that?
As far as I've seen,you are the only one.

I know a few people that would love a Garmin with voice navigation, speed, distance maybe altitude. Something simple but useful. Not everybody is racing or trying to beat a time.
Why would they bother? The market currently consists of you and a "few" nondescript people

You can stay with your Garmin 800 and I'll stay with my phone app.How is that? ^_^
I know where I'm better off.

For people that want navigation only then consider a smart phone + Osmand.
Or the people that were asking questions about garmin, who also want a sport specific GPS unit, could consider a Garmin?

Shock of the day... Great smartphone app gets road names completely wrong

vRHuedi.jpg
aOjgTaP.png

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Etrex 20 and one of MacB's kids preloved iPod Touch mp3 players for me. But I don't give a toss about cadence and hrm.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
cos I've got a forerunner that does those.

sancho

Regular
I'm considering an 800 - £200 sounds good, where can I get that price ?

Yes, I would also be interested at that price.

As far as I've seen,you are the only one.

Why would they bother? The market currently consists of you and a "few" nondescript people

I would be interested in something like that. I will look into it. I already use endomondo with my phone. I guess this would make me one of the few nondescript people you mentioned above. You already accused somebody of being out of touch for not knowing where to find the garmin 800 for £200.

Etrex 20 and one of MacB's kids preloved iPod Touch mp3 players for me. But I don't give a toss about cadence and hrm.

Can an Etrex be mounted on a handlebar? I mean can you buy a mounting kit for the bike.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Yes, I would also be interested at that price.
As I said. I was patient and got mine on ebay

I would be interested in something like that. I will look into it. I already use endomondo with my phone. I guess this would make me one of the few nondescript people you mentioned above. You already accused somebody of being out of touch for not knowing where to find the garmin 800 for £200.
Google shopping if not ebay/amazon or gumtree are the first places I look for stuff. Although I picked the right time, ie: within days of the 810 being released.

Can an Etrex be mounted on a handlebar? I mean can you buy a mounting kit for the bike.
Yes

zacklaws

Guru
I'm an 800 user, and despite the fact that they are good, but as a navigation device, they cannot be relied on at times as they can be buggy. For instance, about 3 weeks ago I did a 250 mile ride non stop and never had a problem, the other weekend I did a 600K ride (360 miles) and it played up no end with the route that had been planned resulting in an additional 30 miles to the ride. That was the final straw with it for rides were navigation has to be cock on, so after advice, it was a choice of either a Garmin Etrek or a Dakota, I plumped for the Dakota as it has a larger screen and up to now I am chuffed to bits with it. What makes it even better than the 800 is the fact that the route recalculate works if you wander off track or have to take an unexpected diversion etc. Battery life is better, 20 hours with 2 AA instead of 12 if your lucky and on long rides, I now only have to carry two spare AA or even buy enroute if needed instead of one my big rechargeable devices. I can even hear the alert beeps on the Dakota for turns unlike the 800 which is virtually inaudible. The Dakota is even far cheaper too and almost does as much as the 800.

It has to be bourne in mind that Garmin Edges are training devices and the empahasis is not so much on being navigation devices and as of yet Garmin have not got there act right with them with too many bugs in them. Whereas Garmin do bring out devices which are more puerly designed for navigation and these are the ones to look for if that is all you need it for.

Garmin has showed no respect for its users of Edge devices in getting them to work, for example the Edge 800 has only had 4 updates since it was released, the Dakota was released a year earlier and has had around 24 updates at a guess and hardly has any bugs in it.

But as a further insult, Garmin is now bringing out this new dedicated cycling satnav out that mimics the Edge 810, but will it work, the 810 going by the forums is a pile of junk.

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Etrex 20 £125 off Handtec, free OSM map, Garmin BaseCamp for plotting, £6 cycle mount off ebay, replaceable AA batts.

The dogs bollox ^_^

EDIT!! Just posted, then realised Zacklaws post, were you the one on East & West Coasts 600km, Beverley CC jersey on day 2?
Etrex 20 performed brilliant on it, changed batts at 1am in Castleford. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom