Sat nav for on bike, garmin help ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Etrex 20 £125 off Handtec, free OSM map, Garmin BaseCamp for plotting, £6 cycle mount off ebay, replaceable AA batts.

The dogs bollox ^_^

EDIT!! Just posted, then realised Zacklaws post, were you the one on East & West Coasts 600km, Beverley CC jersey on day 2?
Etrex 20 performed brilliant on it, changed batts at 1am in Castleford. :thumbsup:

Yes I was both days, did you hear me moaning how useless my Edge 800 was that day?

PoweredByVeg

Über Member
Yes I was both days, did you hear me moaning how useless my Edge 800 was that day?

As the OP wanted advice for a sat nav for on bike, I think you've summed it up quite well in your post. I reckon the Etrex is the smaller cheaper sibling of the Dakota/Oregon series, and if navigating is all you want then these (Etrex/Dakota/Oregon) are the ones to consider.

When's the next big test for the Dakota Mr. Zaclaws? :bicycle:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
As the OP wanted advice for a sat nav for on bike, I think you've summed it up quite well in your post. I reckon the Etrex is the smaller cheaper sibling of the Dakota/Oregon series, and if navigating is all you want then these (Etrex/Dakota/Oregon) are the ones to consider.

When's the next big test for the Dakota Mr. Zaclaws? :bicycle:

Just wait till T.M.H.N.E.T sees Zaclaws and your post :boxing: :laugh:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
There is a difference between a satnav for a bike and a satnav that can be mounted to a bike. I'm not sure the OP wanted the latter. But of course, the OP hasn't been back in the thread. I can't really blame him either - the number of "don't like this technology" luddites is ever increasing ie: those who think a smartphone with strava installed is a cycling computer :rolleyes:

Just wait till T.M.H.N.E.T sees Zaclaws and your post :boxing: :laugh:
How is your brilliant app that gets road names wrong?Thank you for pointing out Zaclaws post, perhaps since you are so knowledgeable you could find out how his 800 is setup. Setup options which directly affect recalculation. He doesn't mention what map is loaded, perhaps you could find that out too.

Since you want to be so helpful of course.

Ciar

Veteran
I have been looking for a turn by turn sat nav for ages, nearly cracked and bought a garmin 800 the other week, but i just can't bring myself to buy it just knowing i would find an app! I did the co pilot sat nav app allows you to drag and move routes, so a route I have wanted to follow to work is now saved in my iphone with turn by turn directions and silly person telling me :smile: it's £20 it's only going to be useful for a couple of weeks while i get used to the route, but it suits my purposes.. in all honesty if i didn't already have a wahoo blue speed/cadence monitor and other cycling apps, i would have bought the garmin.

zacklaws

Guru
I'm planning a 400+ round trip from Home (Beverley) to Whitehaven and up the coast, on up to Carlisle area and across to Newcastle following Hadrians Wall and then return home, a good round trip over two days, the bags packed ready, sleeping bag and bivvy bag, I'm away fishing this week, next week I have odd shifts at work, so it may be the week after. Also I'll be on "The Old 240" in August.

>>There is a difference between a satnav for a bike and a satnav that can be mounted to a bike<<

Whats the difference? apart for one you hold in your hand or pocket which is of no use at all unless you keep pulling it out to look at!!!

>>Thank you for pointing out Zaclaws post, perhaps since you are so knowledgeable you could find out how his 800 is setup. Setup options which directly affect recalculation. He doesn't mention what map is loaded, perhaps you could find that out too.<<

Recalculation is totally porked in a Edge 800 and no matter what your settings are it will not work, if its turned on, upon commencement of setting of on a course it will constantly redirect you back to the beggining, no use whatsoever, Garmin has never tried to fix it, and the only advise is to turn it off. The "800" cannot even be relied upon to give you warning of a turning at times by flashing up the map if your on a data page unless your actually constantly checking your map, but to have it on constantly drains power, ok on a short ride, no good on a long one, but on a long ride, you can remain on a data page and when you see a possible turning coming up, switch to the map, but then it can take ages for the map and course to refresh, by which time your at the possible turning and in the dark as what to do? Splitting up a course into smaller segments alleviates that problem though

I have five maps on my "800" four different OSM maps and also Garmin City Navigator, only one of which will be enabled and also carry if needed OS discovery map which may be ok to use in the open country but in built up areas along with that pathetic purple line to follow on the "800" its as much use as tits on a bull as the purple line is just lost amongst the clutter of the OS map. At least on the Dakota, it has the compass page to help you keep on route at difficult times, it was ommited in the "800" but reinstated in the "810", another Garmin cockup.

On the 600K ride, the "800" had changed my uploaded route on the first day near Malton, taking me well off route, but on the second day at Fulwood, once again changed the route and it took me the wrong way from the checkpoint, I ended up at a series of rounabouts and the purple line just went round them all and no guidance whatsoever and no way could I work out where the purple line did go, roughly in my head I knew it should head towards Blackpool, but there was no sign of it. "800"'s changing uploaded routes is a common problem, my work around is to plot my route in mapsource on the same map and settings that I will ride the route on for 100% compatability, but sadly the "800" has a mind of its own at times and will change it on occasions

Once out in the country just following the Blackpool roadsigns, I tried to plot a direct route with the "800" to the checkpoint in Blackpool as I had them stored as locations, but it just would not happen, despite coverage of the area I was in with all my maps, all I had on the screen was a large blue square covering the area I was in, and also I kept getting an error message saying, "no routeable maps/roads" (something like that) and I tried all my maps in frustration so all I could do in the end was follow the road signs on a busy road. Yet oddly enough when I got closer to Blackpool I retried it, no blue square and on the original map it worked perfectly again with no problems but got me off the main road and through Blackpools streets.

My choice of the Dakota was based on my poor eyesight, it has the same size screen as an "800" and I knew that I would be able to see it properly unlike the smaller Etrek screen which I know is highly regarded for being an excellent cycling satnav.

The way it is now is, my "800" will be used for fast training runs on local roads and the Dakota for long rides out of my area when navigation is essential and errors in the route cannot be spotted as easy as on my own patch.

As for the Edge "800" being the best cycle computer, it is far from it, it is a training device with a satnav incorporated and sadly Garmin have not got it right, and untill they do they should just stick to making pure Satnav devices. Just looking through the Garmin forums it can be seen the amount of disgruntled Edge users, 500's 510's, 705's, 800's and 810's they are all the same problematic regarding navigation. The 705 though does get recomended at times and is reputably better than the "800" but I have no experience of it so cannot comment on it. A friend I ride with who has one says its a pile of junk with frequent lockups but others say its good..

T.M.H.N.E.T

Whats the difference? apart for one you hold in your hand or pocket which is of no use at all unless you keep pulling it out to look at!!!
Ant+ - heart rate - averages - cadence - power meter compatible. The same idea that makes a forerunner running specific as its foot pod compatible.

Recalculation is totally porked in a Edge 800 and no matter what your settings are it will not work, if its turned on, upon commencement of setting of on a course it will constantly redirect you back to the beggining, no use whatsoever, Garmin has never tried to fix it, and the only advise is to turn it off. The "800" cannot even be relied upon to give you warning of a turning at times by flashing up the map if your on a data page unless your actually constantly checking your map, but to have it on constantly drains power, ok on a short ride, no good on a long one, but on a long ride, you can remain on a data page and when you see a possible turning coming up, switch to the map, but then it can take ages for the map and course to refresh, by which time your at the possible turning and in the dark as what to do? Splitting up a course into smaller segments alleviates that problem though
Mine works perfectly fine.

I have five maps on my "800" four different OSM maps and also Garmin City Navigator, only one of which will be enabled and also carry if needed OS discovery map which may be ok to use in the open country but in built up areas along with that pathetic purple line to follow on the "800" its as much use as tits on a bull as the purple line is just lost amongst the clutter of the OS map. At least on the Dakota, it has the compass page to help you keep on route at difficult times, it was ommited in the "800" but reinstated in the "810", another Garmin cockup.
Again mine has been flawless

On the 600K ride, the "800" had changed my uploaded route on the first day near Malton, taking me well off route, but on the second day at Fulwood, once again changed the route and it took me the wrong way from the checkpoint, I ended up at a series of rounabouts and the purple line just went round them all and no guidance whatsoever and no way could I work out where the purple line did go, roughly in my head I knew it should head towards Blackpool, but there was no sign of it. "800"'s changing uploaded routes is a common problem, my work around is to plot my route in mapsource on the same map and settings that I will ride the route on for 100% compatability, but sadly the "800" has a mind of its own at times and will change it on occasions
Check course settings is recalculate on? Again mine has been faultless.

Once out in the country just following the Blackpool roadsigns, I tried to plot a direct route with the "800" to the checkpoint in Blackpool as I had them stored as locations, but it just would not happen, despite coverage of the area I was in with all my maps, all I had on the screen was a large blue square covering the area I was in, and also I kept getting an error message saying, "no routeable maps/roads" (something like that) and I tried all my maps in frustration so all I could do in the end was follow the road signs on a busy road. Yet oddly enough when I got closer to Blackpool I retried it, no blue square and on the original map it worked perfectly again with no problems but got me off the main road and through Blackpools streets.
Funky. OSM I find useless, half of NI doest exist. Garmin maps on the other hand have been exceptional.

As for the Edge "800" being the best cycle computer, it is far from it, it is a training device with a satnav incorporated and sadly Garmin have not got it right, and untill they do they should just stick to making pure Satnav devices. Just looking through the Garmin forums it can be seen the amount of disgruntled Edge users, 500's 510's, 705's, 800's and 810's they are all the same problematic regarding navigation. The 705 though does get recomended at times and is reputably better than the "800" but I have no experience of it so cannot comment on it. A friend I ride with who has one says its a pile of junk with frequent lockups but others say its good..
Find me a better/up to date cycling specific unit with full mapping and I'll agree. The userbase of their forum isnt indicative of anything, much like the people who complain about poor service from crc/wiggle.

Those customers will be of a minority.

zacklaws

Guru
A sat navs a sat nav, no arguments, but Edge devices are not satnavs but training devices with GPS incorporated. Incidentally the Dakota also has heartrate and cadence same as some of the Etrek models which indicates that these device were also devised for cyclists and not just purely walkers, geocachers etc.

Just took my 800 for a spin with recalculate switched on, and as its always been for myself and everyone else its useless, went off route deliberateley and it never even bothered recalculating to get me back on route, and when I tried another circular route it just wanted to take me back to the start from the moment I set off. This has how the 800 has always been and always will be despite cries of having the firmware updated, it never will be sorted. Perhaps you have a flukey 800 that does work, like users of 810's are beginning to find, some work and some don't

As good as Garmin maps are, why buy a map on an SD card which gets locked to your device, which means to update your device you then have to buy a new map, another Garmin monopoly. But I understand, buy it on a CD and then you can load it to your PC and then upload to any device. OSM maps I have found faultless and are constantly updated unlike Garmin maps unless you pay for the update.

>>The userbase of their forum isnt indicative of anything, much like the people who complain about poor service from crc/wiggle.<<

So if a userbase is not indicative of anything, then you like myself our own INDIVIDUAL critism or recomendations mean absolutly nothing. But when you see a lot of users reporting the same problems then it means far more than the cries of an individual

The moral of the whole story for anyone wanting a satnav for cycling, look through the Garmin Forums and see what problems each device has before deciding.

T.M.H.N.E.T

A sat navs a sat nav, no arguments, but Edge devices are not satnavs but training devices with GPS incorporated. Incidentally the Dakota also has heartrate and cadence same as some of the Etrek models which indicates that these device were also devised for cyclists and not just purely walkers, geocachers etc.
However it's spun, training device or satnav - it does both remarkably well.

Just took my 800 for a spin with recalculate switched on, and as its always been for myself and everyone else its useless, went off route deliberateley and it never even bothered recalculating to get me back on route, and when I tried another circular route it just wanted to take me back to the start from the moment I set off. This has how the 800 has always been and always will be despite cries of having the firmware updated, it never will be sorted. Perhaps you have a flukey 800 that does work, like users of 810's are beginning to find, some work and some don't
Again,Ive found none of these issues.

As good as Garmin maps are, why buy a map on an SD card which gets locked to your device, which means to update your device you then have to buy a new map, another Garmin monopoly. But I understand, buy it on a CD and then you can load it to your PC and then upload to any device. OSM maps I have found faultless and are constantly updated unlike Garmin maps unless you pay for the update.
I didnt buy them. Have also updated my 800 and still cant replicate any of the issues you say are common. I highly doubt I own the worlds only working garmin.

>>The userbase of their forum isnt indicative of anything, much like the people who complain about poor service from crc/wiggle.<<

So if a userbase is not indicative of anything, then you like myself our own INDIVIDUAL critism or recomendations mean absolutly nothing. But when you see a lot of users reporting the same problems then it means far more than the cries of an individual
Yes and no. Reality is, the garmin forum has a lot less users than units sold. 100 people on there with issues doesnt actually tell you anything beyond 100 people have issues. It cant count for those who are happy and dont post or those who have issues and didnt post. Yes 100 people might seem like a lot compared to 1 with no problem, but look at it on the wider scale, they're a very very small percentage.

The moral of the whole story for anyone wanting a satnav for cycling, look through the Garmin Forums and see what problems each device has before deciding.
Or consider that the population of garmins forum, is a small minority relative to the number of units sold.

Members
Active Members

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
How is your brilliant app that gets road names wrong?Thank you for pointing out Zaclaws post, perhaps since you are so knowledgeable you could find out how his 800 is setup. Setup options which directly affect recalculation. He doesn't mention what map is loaded, perhaps you could find that out too.

Since you want to be so helpful of course.

Very good actually, I'm terrible at remembering road names so I wouldn't even notice if it got a name wrong ^_^

I leave that up to the experts and since you seem to be the expert on Garmin stuff around here you can do the honours ^_^

I did a bit of research on that Dakota GPS device and it might be very good but the look of it on my bike would not look right so I'll wait for the "Touring cycling" Garmin announced.

I had a look on ebay for the price of the 800, simply curiosity, and there were one or two used devices for around £200. Unless the problems with the 810 get solved I don't see the price of the 800 coming down too soon. I hope the price of the new device for touring is priced under the 800 but I have my doubts.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
All I would want is a turn by turn sat nav like a car tom tom and so on. The 800 looks really great, but why can you buy a car sat nav for less than a £100 and something like the 800 costs so much. Surely there must be a dedicated turn by turn sat nav just for a bike that can be bought for less than £100?

T.M.H.N.E.T

All I would want is a turn by turn sat nav like a car tom tom and so on. The 800 looks really great, but why can you buy a car sat nav for less than a £100 and something like the 800 costs so much. Surely there must be a dedicated turn by turn sat nav just for a bike that can be bought for less than £100?
Because it doesn't have any cycling or sport specific features.

outlash

also available in orange
Because it doesn't have any cycling or sport specific features.

But if you don't want or need the cycling or sport specific features, aren't the Edge series models a little bit overkill? If all you want is to know where you're going and the most basic of info, then an Etrex or a smartphone app will do you just fine surely?

Tony.

T.M.H.N.E.T

But if you don't want or need the cycling or sport specific features, aren't the Edge series models a little bit overkill? If all you want is to know where you're going and the most basic of info, then an Etrex or a smartphone app will do you just fine surely?

Tony.
Why would the whole series be overkill? But we're back to this same argument... A smartphone app might be brilliant for some but hopeless for another.

If you seek a cycling specific handlebar/stem mounted navigation unit, a NUVI 205 is not it, and a smartphone is not it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom