Sat nav for on bike, garmin help ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SS Retro

Ok it's not that I am technophobic but I have no knowllage of sat nav for bikes.

The reason I want to know about on board mapping???? Is went for a ride yesterday round a looping route I had devised compiling nothing but 30 miles of back lanes and kept referring to a printed google map with route drawn in biro on it ! It worked but the stopping at every other junction ruined it really.

so what's hot, what's not, what's simple?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Actual map or breadcrumb trail? 800 and 500 series respectively.

Alexvs

I'll put my recommendation in for an 800. I'd never used one previously but was always interested in having some GPS aid on my bike. I used to use Endomondo on my phone which was pretty good if you can view it all the time/have easy access to it to view along with a Cateye Strada computer for the other measurements. I went on the local Evans Ride It event and borrowed one of their 800's for the day and after that I realised how good it was showing everything I needed, clearly and within an easy touch. Within a couple of weeks of the ride I bought the 800 with cadence and HR sensors from Amazon for £269.99 which is very good value for money.

I'm yet to create a route for myself as my mate sent me all his/our routes from his 800 so I just uploaded them but it seems pretty straight forward. I tried the onboard where to function on the 800 which isn't particularly great for routing if you want to use an address but it's not a sat nav in that right so wouldn't mark it down for this.

Highly recommend it. Good luck with whichever option you go with :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Or the older 605 and 705.

Use my 705 for putting together a local ride down the back lanes, but within a set ride time slot, ie say 90 minutes. Great for that.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I bought a Garmin 800 with full OS mapping about 18 months ago. Absolutely love it - if it broke tomorrow I'd just have to go out and get another.

Jaye

Veteran
I am a complete idiot when it comes to directions and also was pi**ed off with stopping and checking the map every junction. So I have just purchased a Garmin Edge 200 (the entry level basic jobbie). I used it yesterday to follow a 30 mile route I downloaded that was created by someone else. I was a bit nervous as the route was in an area I know nothing of, but I figured with a smart phone and paper map as back up I would take the plunge. The device was fantastic (I never used the map or phone once) it must be idiot proof if even I didn't get lost. On two occasions whilst bombing downhill I got carried away and missed a turn but the thing beeped and I turned around and it was easy to figure where I went wrong. I know its early days with the device but I would highly recommend this. Besides which if you don't get on with it they sell on Ebay for about £20-25 less than retail. The only thing it was no good for was the two inch screw that done for my rear tyre :cursing:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I use a Garmin Edge 305 which has a good breadcrumb trail function. I always take a printed OS extract with me as backup, but so far the breadcrumb thing works well.

If you ride off road it gets a bit more complicated, but very accurate. I plan a route on an OS map following bridleways , then create the GPX file on Garmin Connect using the satellite map, which means, zoomed right in you can trace complicated junctions and paths/trails. Uploaded to the Garmin direct from Connect this is a bit laborious, but so far has meant some very accurate forays.

Kies

Garmin edge 200 is perfect for per planned routes. I tries to use cycle friendly roads,instead of busier ones when possible,if you use Garmin connect website/portal

Downward

Guru
Hi.
Thinking about getting the Garmin 200 or 500.

What caught my eye with the 200 is this function :

Is this function available on the rest of the Garmin range ? I currently use Strava for uphill commute but you don't know how well you are doing until your home.
70873-3.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hi.

Is this function available on the rest of the Garmin range ? I currently use Strava for uphill commute but you don't know how well you are doing until your home.
70873-3.jpg

Yes the 500 has it too.
The 200 is the lowest spec of the range.
The 500 is similar except it has HRM, Cadence and temperature reading.

jim55

Guru
Hi.

70873-3.jpg
whats this feature ?iv got a 200 and didnt even know this was on it

Top Bottom