Sat nav for on bike, garmin help ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is the 500/ 510 breadcrumb trail the same as the 200 and older 205/305 units?

The 500 certainly is. Don't know re the 510.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It was a firmware update in March 2010.

Didn't realise the 500 had been out so long, wonder If there is going to be a replacement soon ?
No, that was workouts - not virtual partner.

Why are you asking questions then arguing with people who have used garmin devices extensively enough to know what features they have?

Downward

Guru

T.M.H.N.E.T

Please stop. The edge500 has always had virtual partner,it was never added in a firmware update. As I have said at least twice now I think - you need to be following a course for it to work, it's even in the official Garmin Manual.

If you want VP as a completely stand-alone feature you need a 510/800 or 810.

Soltydog

Legendary Member

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I use an application on my smart phone called Osmand. If you just need navigating then what I use is better than any Garmin device, 500 or 800.

Today, for example, I decided to visit a place that I had only heard of before so I needed some help with the navigation. I have a way of mounting my phone that keeps it safe from the rain, having said that I don't need to see the map as I get spoken instructions. I use a headset on the loose side that enables me to listen very clearly the navigation instructions and yet hear the traffic around me.

The application can navigate you through a map you have plotted yourself or search for a destination point. The application also saves your ride as a GPS track that you can upload to the internet.

The battery won't last as long as a Garmin but that is not a problem for me as I use a battery pack that gives for full charges ie, over 8 hours of use.

The only drawback is that I miss the music. I might buy a phone that can play music but also alert me on a different channel when I need to turn.

I'm extremely pleased with the solution and I'm convinced that the Garmin 800 would not be as good for navigating. I must admit that I was ready to buy a Garmin 800 :blush:

T.M.H.N.E.T

I use an application on my smart phone called Osmand. If you just need navigating then what I use is better than any Garmin device, 500 or 800.

Today, for example, I decided to visit a place that I had only heard of before so I needed some help with the navigation. I have a way of mounting my phone that keeps it safe from the rain, having said that I don't need to see the map as I get spoken instructions. I use a headset on the loose side that enables me to listen very clearly the navigation instructions and yet hear the traffic around me.

The application can navigate you through a map you have plotted yourself or search for a destination point. The application also saves your ride as a GPS track that you can upload to the internet.

The battery won't last as long as a Garmin but that is not a problem for me as I use a battery pack that gives for full charges ie, over 8 hours of use.

The only drawback is that I miss the music. I might buy a phone that can play music but also alert me on a different channel when I need to turn.

I'm extremely pleased with the solution and I'm convinced that the Garmin 800 would not be as good for navigating. I must admit that I was ready to buy a Garmin 800 :blush:
Eh no. A phone working as something is can do, cannot compete with a device doing what it is specifically designed to do.

To compare the two is just silly.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Eh no. A phone working as something is can do, cannot compete with a device doing what it is specifically designed to do.

To compare the two is just silly.

Well, for navigation I believe the application gives me a better result. I like the fact that I can concentrate on where I'm going rather than looking at the screen. I can either let it take me the way the application think it's best or I can plot every single turn myself. I believe the 800 gives you only 2.

There are a number of functions that the Garmin has and some people might want but for navigation only I'm pretty happy with what the Osmand application gives me. To be honest, is that the same job as my tomtom in the car.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Well, for navigation I believe the application gives me a better result. I like the fact that I can concentrate on where I'm going rather than looking at the screen. I can either let it take me the way the application think it's best or I can plot every single turn myself. I believe the 800 gives you only 2.
The garmin does all of this. Not sure what you're suggesting it does 2 of, but it probably does more of it. I get the feeling you don't know a great deal about garmin units.

There are a number of functions that the Garmin has and some people might want but for navigation only I'm pretty happy with what the Osmand application gives me. To be honest, is that the same job as my tomtom in the car.
Like being cycling specific? ANT+ so compatible with speed/hrm/cad sensors and power meters/cranks? It will also not drain your phones battery (battery life which is handy in an emergency)

There is still no comparison.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The garmin does all of this. Not sure what you're suggesting it does 2 of, but it probably does more of it. I get the feeling you don't know a great deal about garmin units.

No, I'm not an expert but I did research the 800 when I wanted to buy one.

So, the 800 has sound and can give me voice instructions of where to go? That is the most important functionality to me.

One of the articles I read by someone that has the 800 and extre 30. He said the 800 has an option for 2 points that are user defined in any route, the rest is done by the device as it see fit. He said the extre lets you define as many points on the route as you wish, as does the phone apps.

Like being cycling specific? ANT+ so compatible with speed/hrm/cad sensors and power meters/cranks? It will also not drain your phones battery (battery life which is handy in an emergency)

There is still no comparison.

I know all the cycling specific functions. I said for navigation, I could not care less what my heart rate is..... the OP was asking about Navigation.

Of course the battery on the Garmin will last me longer, the screen definition it's from the last century so it's bound to use little energy :laugh:

So, I find the Osmand application for Navigation better than the Garmin. Why? Because the voice navigation instructions are all I need, having said that, if I do need to look at the screen then it will be a map with good screen definition that it's easily readable. Battery? Oh yes, I have a battery pack that keeps me going for over 8 hours.

Don't get me wrong, the 800 is a good device but £270 for lots of functionalities I don't need then it's too much for me I thing.

T.M.H.N.E.T

No, I'm not an expert but I did research the 800 when I wanted to buy one.

So, the 800 has sound and can give me voice instructions of where to go? That is the most important functionality to me.
Now I know what you meant, it doesn't have voice instructions - it doesn't need voice instructions.

One of the articles I read by someone that has the 800 and extre 30. He said the 800 has an option for 2 points that are user defined in any route, the rest is done by the device as it see fit. He said the extre lets you define as many points on the route as you wish, as does the phone apps.
200 IIRC

I know all the cycling specific functions. I said for navigation, I could not care less what my heart rate is..... the OP was asking about Navigation.
Maybe not - other people in the thread clearly do care about functions Garmin units offer, including navigation - at which a phone with an app cannot compete.

Of course the battery on the Garmin will last me longer, the screen definition it's from the last century so it's bound to use little energy :laugh:
"I like the fact that I can concentrate on where I'm going rather than looking at the screen." :rolleyes:

So, I find the Osmand application for Navigation better than the Garmin. Why? Because the voice navigation instructions are all I need, having said that, if I do need to look at the screen then it will be a map with good screen definition that it's easily readable. Battery? Oh yes, I have a battery pack that keeps me going for over 8 hours.
That's great, but try to remember you're in a thread that has became Garmin Q&A. Your app may do what you want it and have an extra whistle to blow. That does not make it better or comparable.

ps: 14-15hrs on a garmin for a single charge.

Don't get me wrong, the 800 is a good device but £270 for lots of functionalities I don't need then it's too much for me I thing.
£200 new. You're out of touch.

Top Bottom