Sat nav for on bike, garmin help ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Oregon

Downward

Guru
Looking at the 500 and it has a couple of features over the 200 that I would use.
Alt meter and Temp.
The alt meter, Total ascent and descent look good and there is the option to add stuff to it at a later date.
Is the 500 the one to get ? I don't use maps really and know where I'm going but would like the option to know I am on the same track.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
The virtual partner works best when you're following a course that you've created by riding before - so you're effectively racing against yourself (and as you get faster you can tweak the 'other bike' to increase its speed by a percentage). It can also be used on an unplanned run but then you just set it to an average mph and the effect of gradients and headwinds make that feature much less useful.

Looking at the 500 and it has a couple of features over the 200 that I would use.
Alt meter and Temp.
The alt meter, Total ascent and descent look good and there is the option to add stuff to it at a later date.
Is the 500 the one to get ? I don't use maps really and know where I'm going but would like the option to know I am on the same track.

I recently acquired a 500, and I find it excellent. I use the altimeter all the time as it is quite hilly where I live. The temperature function is rubbish though. I also use cadence and the breadcrumb maps sometimes. I would totally recommend.

Downward

Guru
Yes the 500 has it too.
The 200 is the lowest spec of the range.
The 500 is similar except it has HRM, Cadence and temperature reading.

Is this a Definite ? I read a review from a couple of years back and it wasn't a feature unless garmin added it in a firmware upgrade ?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Is this a Definite ? I read a review from a couple of years back and it wasn't a feature unless garmin added it in a firmware upgrade ?
Dodgy review TBH.

Downward

Guru
It was from 2009 and I quote

Frequent users of any of the either Edge or Forerunner series will notice a few things that are missing from the Edge 500:
- No Virtual Partner: This feature normally helps you pace against a little virtual partner to try and keep a more consistent pace in training or racing. I can see how given the device is primarily targeted at cycling crowd and how you’d probably uses the virtual partner less there than in running.
- Ability to configure power zones on the unit itself (must be done via software): This feature allows you to set alerts if you fall below or exceed certain pre-specified zones or ranges for heart rate and power. However unlike the other units, you cannot set power or HR zones on the unit itself.
- Cannot utilize “Workouts”: This fairly common feature allows you to download workouts to your device and then combined with alerts it will basically walk you through a workout or race. I use this during races to help pace my by HR’s. For example, in the bike segment of a half-Ironman I usually have certain HR range for different sections. Not having this in the watch is a pretty significant loss for many folks. What’s even stranger here is that Garmin spent the time to update Garmin Training Center (GTC) to allow you to specify power alerts in workouts just two weeks ago on December 2nd. Given they almost never bother updating GTC (it’s old and crunchy) it’s strange to include this by not have workouts. [Update: This feature has been added as of February 23rd, 2010]​
I asked Garmin to comment on a few of these as to why they were left out, and here’s what they had to say:
Virtual Partner Functionality (VP):
Garmin: “The VP works well with a course. Most riding does not use a steady state like the VP was designed [for] (except maybe TT’s). So that is the main reason why the VP is not in the device. It was designed to be a simpler device so this also reduces the page count.”​

stevede

I use the Garmin 200 and find it great. My pal bought a used 705 because of it's better functions etc, but I keep telling him that i don't need fancy electronics to tell me how knackered I am after climbing a big hill.

The 200 does give ft / mts climbed but I think it bases these off mapping. This along with the calories used is vague IMHO.

If you just want to set a route and follow the breadcrumb trail, the 200 will do that mighty fine for around £100 (new)

Comes with 2 x brackets as well for swapping between bikes

Regards

Steve

Top Bottom