sausages and mash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Mash can only work with proper unminced meat, or a stable fish. Watery gravy can't work... only a jus or a colis.

Bangers and mash is comic book food for Geordies after they beat up some Jocks.

longers

Legendary Member
You've been having the wrong gravy mate.

Jus, coulis, sauce = gravy.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of sausages and mash, and will order it if there's nothing else.

It's just that I get very bored of it after a couple of mouthfuls. It's just not intellectually stimulating.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Speicher said:
Ok Abitrary, so if a dozen of us went round to your house for a meal, what would you offer us? ;)

I'd never attempt to cook for a dozen people (especially if some of them's taste buds are attuned to baby food like sausages and mash)

longers

Legendary Member
I think the fact Jamie Oliver might have been cooking it is to introduce people to entry level cooking so to say.

You can buy ready meal bangers and mash. I wonder how many people can't cook at all and seeing that twit cooking something "simple" will encourage them to start to learn to cook for themselves. Made with good quality ingredients this is a filling and tasty meal. Once they realise the difference in taste and quality they might start to be a bit more adventurous.

Maybe.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Abitrary said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of sausages and mash, and will order it if there's nothing else.

It's just that I get very bored of it after a couple of mouthfuls. It's just not intellectually stimulating.

Sausages and mash is eay to cook at home for yourself. So I agree with you that it is not very stimulating. That is why I wondered what you would cook for us. Is twelve peeps too many, shall we reduce it to five?

I enjoy going out to restaurants that offer Buffet style meals. Then you can try all sorts of things that you might not otherwise order. And you can eat in a leisurely manner, and go back for some more, and its still hot.
Over the past twelve months I have tried Japanese,and Mongolian, as well as the more usual Thai, Chinese, Indian etc. I would like to find an Eqyptian restaurant, one in Covent Garden I was told.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

I just think it lacks imagination.

Sausages are essentially an unorthodox foodstuff, and need a more tangential setting.

Baguettes, croissants, and pastry bases work for me.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Speicher said:
Sausages and mash is eay to cook at home for yourself. So I agree with you that it is not very stimulating. That is why I wondered what you would cook for us. Is twelve peeps too many, shall we reduce it to five?

I couldn't say without knowing exactly who was coming.

What I would do, is scour sunday supplements online for those rare articles where a top chef goes to a newspaper critic's for dinner, to turn the tables type of thing, and try whatever the critic did.

bonj2

i must say i'm definitely with abitrary on this one. Lamb shank, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :smile::tongue::tongue::tongue:
i don't seriously believe any of you would actually choose sausages over a nice tender lamb shank.
The only nice sausages are the ones that are at least 70% or thereabouts. The supermarket 'best' range are often good, as are some of the ones in some independent butchers. And yes well done is best for sausages.

Top Bottom