Save the Velodrome

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdrussell

Hi,

This is something I feel very strongly about. Cycling has played a very big part in my life this year, and Herne Hill velodrome has been a big part of that through Saturday training mornings down there.

Now it is under threat.

More details on their Facebook group here
Website - here

4 Page Leaflet - download here
Press release - download here

Thanks,

Jon

StuartG

slower but further
Sadly another example of the Olympic disaster. As money moves north of the river we are left with even less. Plus a bill for Crossrail which, again, is of no use to us.

Sport (and cycling) for the masses is sacrificed for sport for the few and the sponsors. Sigh.

(A Crystal Palace resident)

OP
OP
jdrussell

jdrussell

Sadly another example of the Olympic disaster. As money moves north of the river we are left with even less. Plus a bill for Crossrail which, again, is of no use to us.

Sport (and cycling) for the masses is sacrificed for sport for the few and the sponsors. Sigh.

(A Crystal Palace resident)

Totally agree Stuart.

darth vadar

Über Member
I almost choked on my breakfast when I read this thread.

You poor things!!

Why does everyone think that the whole world starts and ends in London?

It doesn't.

North/South divide? - you bet there is!!!

OP
OP
jdrussell

jdrussell

You poor things!!

It doesn't.

I never said there was, I just think it is a good cause to support if you are local to the area. I live 3 miles away from it and went to it every Saturday to train. This is a cycling board so I put it on here. If it doesn't affect you geographically as you have something similar near you then fair enough.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

You poor things!!

It doesn't.

Any cycling venue wherever it may be in the country would be a shame if it were lost especially one with so much history.

Get that chip of your shoulder !

StuartG

slower but further
The Thames ....
wink.gif

Seriously your 'National' Sports Centre is being run down because it is the wrong side of the river. So you lose out now whilst being taxed for £9 billion in the hope (but without firm plans) of replacement facilities in another part of London.

Is this in the interests of ordinary sports men & women or is it a big boys toys extravaganza for the benefit of politicians, sports administrators and commercial sponsors?

A parallel with what happened in football. The cost of the new Wembley means that all internationals have to be in North West London - when during the interregnum is was great that the National team could be experienced in good venues around the country (and London). Something that was rather popular.

A network of 'local' velodromes such as Herne Hill and maybe near you would do more for cycling than spending it all on one grandiose building near Stratford.

I wish you luck but the land it stands on is worth millions and Dulwich Estates know that.

We had huge support for saving Saffron Lane (the former national track in Leicester) but with the land being worth £5m we stood no chance.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
They're having the meeting for the campaign tommorow at 6:30-9:30- I can't make it but would be good for all who are local to attend.

I have never been there but it would be a shame to lose it, I am surprised it is not getting spruced up for use as a practice track for the olympic cyclists that will be here for the games. There are plenty of venues for other sports that are well outside of London that are expecting to be used for practice by visiting athletes.

Fixedwheelnut

There was over 500 people at the meeting and I think the fact that this has the local non cycling community involved as well helps give it the edge over previous efforts to save the track.

Hopefully anyone can download these scanned images of the pledge form, fill one out and send it in.
The effort to save Herne Hill needs as many people as possible to pledge regular donations no matter how small so that they can show a regular income and help provide a viable business plan to show Dulwich Estates, once they can do this a 25 year lease should be granted which will then allow the funds to be released and begin the renovation and improvement of the site.

5067826446_0562e9a1b4_z.jpg

5067214131_a57c064cef_z.jpg

GilesM

Legendary Member
Thanks for posting this on here, I'll have a good read through the pledge forms etc., I've ridden at Hearn Hill a couple o times, and I often used to go to watch the Easter meets there many years ago.

Top Bottom