Saw a cyclist getting ticketed by the police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
You actually saw tickets being handed over?
Where in London?

I did. North London. A van on the north circular, a car in Muswell Hill, the bike a few hundred yards from my home.
I think you saw a fixed penalty swee'pea, the cyclists were likely stopped running a red light or similar I'd bet.
As I say, I didn't see the preamble, but there are no traffic lights within about half a mile. I would have thought it unusual on any day (come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist getting a ticket, and I've been riding in London on & off (mostly on) for 50 years) - coming after the two earlier stops, it struck me as even more suggestive of something having changed. But there could be a completely unrelated explanation, and coincidences do happen.

Ashimoto

Ive seen a hell of a lot more police but they dont seem to care where I am. Ive rode past countless cars over the last few weeks. Whilst up Rivington ( Lancashire ) the other day they were checking all the car parks but not bothering about cyclists. Loads rode through without a problem I

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I have seen as many police in the last 4 weeks, than in the previous 15 years (as long as I have lived in Edinburgh). I have been also stopped on two occasions on the way to work.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So in reality, you saw a policeman talking to people and maybe giving them a piece of paper, which could have been one of several things.

Kryton521

Über Member
I've been stopped once on the way to work and once on the way to the shops. I walk to the shop so get exercise and my shopping in one go! But yes, I've seen more Police patrols than before.
And even better, the boy racers are hiding/staying at home! Well for the most part but it must be harder for them to hide with so little traffic about.

Although, yesterday evening on the way into work, I saw more pizza delivery cars than police patrols..........

Slick

Guru
ie ticket and or fine

I didn't say he deserved a ticket more than anybody else , anybody or anything that jumps a red light should get the same treatment ie ticket and or fine . Have a good day ^_^
I always thought that the ticket was the fine. Every day is a school day, so you have a good day to. ^_^

Police in most cities have semi-regular blitzes on master-criminal-gang cyclists; usually stuff like riding without lights. So yes, cyclists DO get stopped by the police.
Sometimes these blitzes are just information; you get a telling off, a leaflet about the law, maybe a voucher for some cheap/crap bike-light scheme the local shops have, that sort of thing.

I don't even live in a city, and I see these things in the press.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I spoke to our local polis for clarification and they were quite relaxed about me taking a car for a few miles to a suitable place for my trike.The best place is about 12 miles away which would be pushing it a bit but anything nearer home no problem. This is a small community and it is pretty much sealed off now anyway so there is very little traffic and all local. So long as common sense is applied limited travel is ok.

Top Bottom