Saw a cyclist getting ticketed by the police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I spoke to our local polis for clarification and they were quite relaxed about me taking a car for a few miles to a suitable place for my trike.The best place is about 12 miles away which would be pushing it a bit but anything nearer home no problem. This is a small community and it is pretty much sealed off now anyway so there is very little traffic and all local. So long as common sense is applied limited travel is ok.
One of the biggest advantages of living where you do during these times. I have family in the police and they have told me much the same.

Mike_P

Guru
I see a police vehicle most rides, properly something to do with the large number of large white "golf balls" at Menwith Hill and have to date not had any problems. Local police are normally cycle friendly in my experience promoting security marking and have not not picked on things like pedals with no reflectors, instead the bike got some very appreciative comments.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
1587201287761.png

The doughnut shops are shut

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I always thought that the ticket was the fine. Every day is a school day, so you have a good day to. ^_^

The ticket is an invitation to make an optional payment in order to avoid the possibility of being prosecuted. Think of it as a sort of protection arrangement ...

Drago

Legendary Member
I spoke to our local polis for clarification and they were quite relaxed about me taking a car for a few miles to a suitable place for my trike.The best place is about 12 miles away which would be pushing it a bit but anything nearer home no problem. This is a small community and it is pretty much sealed off now anyway so there is very little traffic and all local. So long as common sense is applied limited travel is ok.
The problem is common sense is actually rather rare.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
More sensibly, there are no football matches, no political rallies, no protest marches and jury trials have been stopped (large amount of police time is spent sitting on their arses waiting to give evidence).

Maybe after this we can look at whether the police should actually be at these large public events?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Many new laws are introduced by a short period of education followed by enforcement, so I would expect the coppers to now be issuing more tickets.

Worth bearing in mind a lycra clad cyclist may suggest to a non-cycling copper someone out for distance.

I've not seen much action around here, but I've been complying so have hardly been out.

My handful of weekly essential journeys are all barely more than a mile.

I'd use the bike, but cycling is off the menu at the moment for medical reasons.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have been out on my bikes most days for shopping, and/or exercise around North London and South Hertfordshire areas. I have seen an enhanced Police presence about, and a much increased amount of cyclists about, but I have not seen anyone being pulled over and spoken to, and that includes myself.

Many new laws are introduced by a short period of education followed by enforcement, so I would expect the coppers to now be issuing more tickets.

Worth bearing in mind a lycra clad cyclist may suggest to a non-cycling copper someone out for distance.

I've not seen much action around here, but I've been complying so have hardly been out.

My handful of weekly essential journeys are all barely more than a mile.

I'd use the bike, but cycling is off the menu at the moment for medical reasons.

Is there legislation on the distance that results in a fine?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
So in reality, you saw a policeman talking to people and maybe giving them a piece of paper, which could have been one of several things.
Um, no. I saw three sets of policepeople talking to people. I only saw a ticket for the cyclist. In reality.

Top Bottom