Scalped a couple of lycra clad roadies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
When out on the bike I often see kids on grifters or whatever bike it is trying to keep up with me, I often thought if I slowed down and let them pass would put their arms up like they've just won the Tou De France :biggrin:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Speaking from experience, I think he was keener on finishing the soddin round quicker than just keeping ahead of you lol :thumbsup:

generally you may be right but he grinned at me the second time

I was scalped once, whilst I was stationery at a set of traffic lights on red.

A lead cyclist blundered through the red light and shouted "scalped ya" as he passed.

His group followed and together they caused chaos across the junction, I caught them up and rode along side the leader whilst patronising him on his way.

Moss

I did say most of us :thumbsup:

Agree with that! And after-all, it's just a bit of fun.

I got passed by a younger fitter guy while riding on a false flat! He'd ridden 30, miles and I was just beginning my ride. A nice Guy, he slowed down to say hello; and chat, I told him to go on ahead as I was not fit enough to stay with him. A little further along the road with some undulation in the road and my legs getting warmer, I did manage to catch him; and we rode together for a mile or two; Well, until the first real climb approached! I let him go on ahead as my climbing legs are not what they once were. He sailed easily up the first of three decent climbs, with a short lull in-between each one of the climbs. I did manage to keep him in sight until the top of the last climb, well, for him; by the time I got over the last climb, he could not be seen! I enjoyed that ride for two reasons - firstly because meeting that young man, caused me to work a little more than I would have normally; and the second was, just watching him make easy work of those long climbs. Certainly gave this old rider the encouragement to try a little harder; and I felt better for it. So the young can sometimes teach us old dogs new tricks.

Mr Farley

Exactly, the only thing we know for sure is I had done about 8 miles slowly and mostly wind assisted downhill, and then had taken a 5 minute rest before the big climb. May be they were concerned for my well being and waited just in case the old bloke with jeans on give himself a coronary on such a big hill. The truth is we will never know

I just like the thought it was a fair race on a big hill and I won
biggrin.gif

So really you are like a 'king of the mountains' where as they hold the yellow jersey as they passed you again :thumbsup:. Kudos for the scalp anyway.

Hey guys - last thing i want to do is turn into Mr Serious Killjoy but technically you can only scalp somebody higher up the cycling food chain than yourself. So casual clothes scalps lycra but not vice versa - paperboy scalps MacB but not vice versa.:tongue:
The likely kind of scalping scenario is going to be Mr £2000 Alp Duez Spesh on the back end of a 100+miler. Short of sticking a neon sign on the back displaying miles covered theres not much Mr Duez can do. Maybe theres a marketing opportunity the for someone. (The dignity preserver - every serious cyclist should have one)

Crankarm

Guru
If people want to pass you let them get on with it. Who cares unless you feel you are an alpha male and your manhood is some how diminished by being overtaken? It really reveals an unpleasant side of cyclists to barge past and put their fellow cyclists down. It really is no different to those knuckle dragging motons who bully their way past you.

Top Bottom