Scared of hydraulic brakes - any advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
Mentioned it to the lbs then and they were the ones who told me to pump the brakes.
Don't go back to that bike shop again, try a competent one instead.

Slick

Guru
Thanks for the replies. I have got disc brakes on my road bike and have no problem with those, these hydraulic ones are another kettle of fish.

I did by it new and had it serviced, though not ridden it much in those 6 weeks due to injury. Mentioned it to the lbs then and they were the ones who told me to pump the brakes.

I'll go back to them to see about getting the brakes serviced.
My LBS tried to tell me a bike was a perfect fit despite a blind man running for a bus could tell it was far too small, he even followed it up with some guff about advice now smaller frames and larger stems, ffs. Don't always listen to these guys who are in effect a sales team.

Tim Hall

Thanks for the replies. I have got disc brakes on my road bike and have no problem with those, these hydraulic ones are another kettle of fish.

I did by it new and had it serviced, though not ridden it much in those 6 weeks due to injury. Mentioned it to the lbs then and they were the ones who told me to pump the brakes.

I'll go back to them to see about getting the brakes serviced.
Can you just clarify something? The bike with the dodgy brakes, are they rim brakes or discs? Hydraulic brakes can be either

Alan O

Über Member
Can you just clarify something? The bike with the dodgy brakes, are they rim brakes or discs? Hydraulic brakes can be either
Ah, I assumed discs - I didn't know there were hydraulic rim brakes.

D

Deleted member 1258

Not forgetting the steel dimpled rims and the "wheeeeee" noise on damp days they made as absolutely nothing happened on the braking front lol

Yes you'd have more success using you're boot against the tyre.

D

Deleted member 26715

When I bought mine everything was fine took it in for it's 6 week service & the brakes were horrific afterwards, snatching, screaming rather than squealing, took it back to the shop & they found that the rear pads were all contaminated with oil, I know it wasn't me as I don't do cleaning or servicing, they cleaned them all up & put new pads in, since then they have been great.

As to pumping do you mean you have to do that to get any grip or are you trying to cadence brake to stop locking up?

Top Bottom