School headteacher bans my bike from school ground-I am the only cyclist from 270 mums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HELP! My 5 year old daughter is at Ardleigh Green Infant School- Gidea Park, Romford. Since she started school a year and a half ago I cycle with her daily (she is not a confident rider yet so she has a bike seat on my bike) . At the school gate I get off the bike, and push it into the school ground- walking - approx 15 meters from the gate I stop. There is a metal fence where I can lean my bike against so I can take my daughter out of her seat safely. there are 270 mums on school run in the infant school- none of the other parents are cycling, most of them driving their large 4x4s blocking sidewalks, pavements,parking absolutely everywhere. However today Mrs Morris the head teacher rang me saying that I AM A HEALTH AND SAFETY HAZARD and she is no longer letting me to bring the bike into the school ground. According to her I am a hazard risk for potential injuries. (I do not ride on the school grounds!!!) I have pointed out that many mums bring prams, pushchairs, double buggies which take more space- people bring dogs in in their arms/ in handbags that is fine- me taking my daughter to school is not fine...? I see myself as a positive role model cycling to school every day. There is a small area for kids to lock their scooter in (tiny area full with little scooters and kids- not suitable for me to charge in with my bike)- but not a single designated area for bikes or a bike park anywhere you could leave your bike. I stand next to the bike when Olivia goes in with her teacher- none ever complained about me being in the way. I feel TOTALLY DISCRIMINATED-I do not understand her issue-the head sees herself as in total charge and she decided that from today these are HER NEW RULES- I AM BANNED TO ENTER WITH MY BIKE. I really need some advise her as I want to make sure that this doesn't happen anywhere else and i want to make an official complaint- just dont know how/ hwho am I supposed to talk about this issue- can she really ban my bike from the school ground?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I would write a formal letter of complaint to the school board of governors and the council. on the grounds of discrimination. If other mothers, fathers etc are allowed to take in buggies, pushchairs, dogs etc then there is no reason why you can't take in your bike.

Health and safety politics at it's worst it seems.

Lincov

No good advice but I wanted to say good luck and let us know how you get on. I cycle my son to nursery, but leave the bike outside as it's a secluded car park. I intend to cycle him to school from next year. If you're pushing your bike in the playground I can't see how she possibly has any grounds for complaint. I do have a stand to make it easier to get him off the bike rather than leaning it against something, but doesn't sound like that's the reason for her problem.

BTW you are a positive role model, keep going!!

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
[QUOTE 2750832, member: 259"]Are you sure this is not a wind up? I would kindly ask her to write a little to confirm.[/quote]
Unfortunately it is not a joke.... I am really upset about this. I have asked her to write me a written ban so I have a proof of her action. also I started to look into this issue: the scholl have no cycling policy written - therefore I dont think she can just ban my bike- she should draw up a policy/ permit/regulations regarding bikes - together with the school governors! I have to pick up my daughter in 1.5 hours and I WILL CYCLE TO THE SCHOOL. I will as per usual walk into the school ground pushing my bike- the school have NO CYCLE STORAGE AREA, NOT EVEN ON THE STREET therefore I am bringing my bike in.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
The head needs to confirm this in a letter to you. Meanwhile, call the Daily Mail, pronto - they love H&S stories like this...
I have asked her to confirm this in writing so I have evidence of our rather heated discussion- by the end of her phone call she was shouting at me...as I have pointed out that buggies and pushchairs should qualify as safety hazards too - I told her that if I trip over on the school ground because of one off the million pushchairs - it might cause me an injury... she did not like my point for sure.UNFORTUNATELY THIS SCHOOL IS NOT INVOLVED IN THE BIKEABILITY SCHEME which is now a target/objective by the council to get more schools involved.

the scholl have no cycling policy written - therefore I dont think she can just ban my bike

She doesn't need a cycling policy in order to 'ban' your bike. There are lots of other ways she can do that. What you do need, however, is a written communication from her in which she states the nature of the ban together with the specific health and safety criteria which she thinks are at risk in this instance.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Have a look at this link, you can contact the HSE and they will probably take this up for you, although they will only look at it from a Health & Safety perspective, so they may not be able to revoke the ban.
Good luck and let us know how you got on.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/myth-busting.htm
thank you so much- I look into it!

D

Deleted member 26715

I was looking for an address for you for the board of Governors which I was unable to find, however I did come access http://www.havering.gov.uk/Documents/Education/Admissions/primary-school-brochure-2014.pdf which if you look at page 41 you get the statement of

"Sustainable modes of travel
All primary schools in Havering are committed to
ensuring that children have the support they need to be
healthy, stay safe and make a positive contribution. The
mode of travel between home and school is relevant to
supporting these goals insofar as a move towards more
active and sustainable forms of travel can improve the
physical health of individuals as well as having impact on
the local environment by reducing pollution and traffic
congestion across the borough. "

So I think a letter to the local education authority would also be useful.

The School Admissions Team
Town Hall, Main Road,
Romford RM1 3BD
For more information:
Tel: 01708 434600
email: schooladmissions@havering.gov.uk

Alan...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I would just ignore it, and keep doing what you're doing. if you argue, she will get entrenched.
if ignored, she will soon get bored - if challenged, the gallic shrug will suffice by way of response.
What's she gonna do - give you detention ? Court order perhaps?

Don't argue, just keep doing it

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
I was looking for an address for you for the board of Governors which I was unable to find, however I did come access http://www.havering.gov.uk/Documents/Education/Admissions/primary-school-brochure-2014.pdf which if you look at page 41 you get the statement of

"Sustainable modes of travel
All primary schools in Havering are committed to
ensuring that children have the support they need to be
healthy, stay safe and make a positive contribution. The
mode of travel between home and school is relevant to
supporting these goals insofar as a move towards more
active and sustainable forms of travel can improve the
physical health of individuals as well as having impact on
the local environment by reducing pollution and traffic
congestion across the borough. "

So I think a letter to the local education authority would also be useful.

The School Admissions Team
Town Hall, Main Road,
Romford RM1 3BD
For more information:
Tel: 01708 434600
email: schooladmissions@havering.gov.uk

Alan...

ShipHill

I would just ignore it, and keep doing what you're doing. if you argue, she will get entrenched.
if ignored, she will soon get bored - if challenged, the gallic shrug will suffice by way of response.
What's she gonna do - give you detention ? Court order perhaps?

Don't argue, just keep doing it

That's exactly what I would do. Ignore them. I'd just nod and go "uhu" when they're talking to me then just carry on and ignore them. They're talking rubbish.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
thanks Alan, I am now so committed to sort this issue and actually raise awareness - I will contact the school governing body, local authorities and the council to seek further advice. all I want to do is to get my child safely , fast and environmentally friendly way to school every day. I am sick of all the Porsche, BMW 4x4 school runs, I am trying to be sensible. Unfortunately the school route is along an extremely busy road leading into an A road, I do not consider safe to remove my daughter from her bike seat outside with cars zooming less than a feet from me...I cant se the point of the hazard pushing the bike into the school ground- just as mums pushing their buggies...

Top Bottom