School headteacher bans my bike from school ground-I am the only cyclist from 270 mums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
1. The schools policy is that bikes should not be ridden on the school grounds . That means dismounting outside. My guess is that the Head feels that this means all ofthe people on the bike should dismount.

2. There is a designated parking area for self propelled wheeled vehicles and she has requested that be used .

3. Presumably you want those rules dropped or at least caveated in some way to allow you to do as you wish.
Good luck

1. We don't know if it's the schools policy. It is the head's words but not necessarily policy.

2. We don't know it's a "designated parking area for self propelled wheeled vehicles". We know children leave their scooters there.

3. See 1.

Firestorm

Veteran
I note that in the October newsletter it states:-

"Scooters and bikes - Scooters and bikes must not be ridden on the school site! Thank you"

If you are not riding it then I would ignore her
This post gave the impression that the no riding was a school policy

Ail ou Radis

nope they are just really laying their claws into ME for some reason...? Pointing out that I am putting my child in danger... ??!!!

Oh dear, I am sorry that you took the CTC comments like that. They seemed supportive and kind when I read them. Only one or two comments were politely questioning. I wish you well in your 'fight' with the headteacher, but if you stop seeing it as a fight it might be easier to resolve. If you spoke to the head more, listened a lot and didn't plaster this tale all over the Web, compromise and resolution would be closer and easier. Nobody should be stopped from cycling to schoiol with an infant. If I may say this, there are parts of your tale here and on other forums where in your own words you might be in danger of coming across as a little harsh and inflexible. Smiles are better by miles.

e-rider

crappy member
HELP! My 5 year old daughter is at Ardleigh Green Infant School- Gidea Park, Romford. Since she started school a year and a half ago I cycle with her daily (she is not a confident rider yet so she has a bike seat on my bike) . At the school gate I get off the bike, and push it into the school ground- walking - approx 15 meters from the gate I stop. There is a metal fence where I can lean my bike against so I can take my daughter out of her seat safely. there are 270 mums on school run in the infant school- none of the other parents are cycling, most of them driving their large 4x4s blocking sidewalks, pavements,parking absolutely everywhere. However today Mrs Morris the head teacher rang me saying that I AM A HEALTH AND SAFETY HAZARD and she is no longer letting me to bring the bike into the school ground. According to her I am a hazard risk for potential injuries. (I do not ride on the school grounds!!!) I have pointed out that many mums bring prams, pushchairs, double buggies which take more space- people bring dogs in in their arms/ in handbags that is fine- me taking my daughter to school is not fine...? I see myself as a positive role model cycling to school every day. There is a small area for kids to lock their scooter in (tiny area full with little scooters and kids- not suitable for me to charge in with my bike)- but not a single designated area for bikes or a bike park anywhere you could leave your bike. I stand next to the bike when Olivia goes in with her teacher- none ever complained about me being in the way. I feel TOTALLY DISCRIMINATED-I do not understand her issue-the head sees herself as in total charge and she decided that from today these are HER NEW RULES- I AM BANNED TO ENTER WITH MY BIKE. I really need some advise her as I want to make sure that this doesn't happen anywhere else and i want to make an official complaint- just dont know how/ hwho am I supposed to talk about this issue- can she really ban my bike from the school ground?
change schools - I wouldn't want my kids attending a school with such a stupid headteacher!

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
[quote="Firestorm, post: 2753663, member: 12827"The schools policy is that bikes should not be ridden on the school grounds . That means dismounting outside. My guess is that the Head feels that this means all ofthe people on the bike should dismount.
There is a designated parking area for self propelled wheeled vehicles and she has requested that be used .

Presumably you want those rules dropped or at least caveated in some way to allow you to do as you wish.
Good luck[/quote]
I think the OP just wants to make sure that she is in a safe place to take her 5 year old off the bike. I don't think this is unreasonable and imho is actually alot more sensible than the attitude of the Head when asking her to take the bike in a much busier entrance.

Top Bottom