School headteacher bans my bike from school ground-I am the only cyclist from 270 mums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
nope they are just really laying their claws into ME for some reason...? Pointing out that I am putting my child in danger... ??!!!

Well you're not - ignore them and stay here where we're friendly (mostly)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Three complaints about your bike?

I would suspect that a clumsy mum caught her ankle on a pedal and laddered her tights, and of course it's all your fault. If that clumsy mum is pally with the head, then I can see how this all came about.

I'd be filled with righteous indignation too, and now that your oppostion is in the open and you've decided to make a crusade of it, good luck to you: you have right on your side. There's no doubt that you're right and she's wrong here.

But I can't help thinking that, at least for you and your child, you'd have done better to quietly continue to disobey. Eventually everyone would have got used to you and your bike, and the head could quietly forget all about it. Other parents might have followed your lead. As it is, she'll lose face by being seen to back down or be forced to back down, and she's already demonstrated that she's not big enough to change her mind (although she's tried to backpedal a bit).

Still, your campaign perhaps has more chance of making things better, officially, for all the other kids in the long run. And it seems you're committed now anyway. Hope this turns out well!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
First contact Havering Cyclists http://www.haveringcyclists.org/ They have members who work for the council and regularly meet with Councilors. They meet once a month at the Chequers in Emmerson Park. I am sure they will take you case up for you with the council. Take their advice though as some Councillors are anti-cycling so you don't want to write to the wrong one.
I used to drive past that school in the evening and the traffic from parents was terrible. It gets so busy that some parents have to park 3 streets away. Looking at the layout of the schools, I am surprised the council hasn't merged the Junior and Infants yet.

An aside - looking at the Junior school website, I would move before your daughter moves up as most pupils seem to go to Redden Court from there.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Three complaints about your bike?

I would suspect that a clumsy mum caught her ankle on a pedal and laddered her tights, and of course it's all your fault.
As I am, always next to my bike I can guarantee that none have ever suffered any damage - not even tights - by my bike.Probably somebody who never done any physical activity in their life finds my presence annoying- there are plenty of childminders who have 6-8 kids around them plus pushchair so I might be in their way (?)
I have mentioned to another mum this morning the complaint against me, her response made be chuckle: "some people have really nothing better to do in their life than complain about others. I bet whoever complained has a bigger gut than your bike..!"
Well hopefully at the end I will be able to achieve to have bike rails in or outside the school :-)

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Sounds like typical discrimination against cyclists to me. People who don't ride are full of predjudice and that stuff head teacher should know better. Get on to the papers.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
If I remember correctly Havering Cyclists meet on the first Wednesday each month - so tonight. I work away, so can't get there.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
If I remember correctly Havering Cyclists meet on the first Wednesday each month - so tonight. I work away, so can't get there.

I will contact them by email as I work too... (teaching yoga)

400bhp

Guru
Sounds like typical discrimination against cyclists to me. People who don't ride are full of predjudice and that stuff head teacher should know better. Get on to the papers.

Actually that's not really true. I have lots of positive comments from non cyclists. Non-Strava Kudos if you like.:thumbsup:

There are some cocckwombles out there, I admit but they are unlikely to tell me they think I am a baffoon for riding a bike.

Firestorm

Veteran
The schools policy is that bikes should not be ridden on the school grounds . That means dismounting outside. My guess is that the Head feels that this means all ofthe people on the bike should dismount.
There is a designated parking area for self propelled wheeled vehicles and she has requested that be used .

Presumably you want those rules dropped or at least caveated in some way to allow you to do as you wish.
Good luck

Top Bottom