School headteacher bans my bike from school ground-I am the only cyclist from 270 mums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Here is my bike by the metal fence causing disturbance
IMG_9491.JPG

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
IMG_9490.JPG

This is the area where I dismount my daughter everyday from her seat within the school ground - causing all sort of health and safety issues

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
THE HEAD TEACHER NOW SUGGESTED THAT I GO THROUGH THE MAIN ENTRANCE (where 500+ pupils pass through oppose to the side entrance less than 100)
IMG_9485.JPG

And she suggested that I live my bike after in their SCOOTER PARK- a small fenced area for scooters - yesterday they had 46 scooters in there today 37- no bike rail, no space, nowhere to lock the bike- no easy access as I have to go through the was amount of people at main entrance
IMG_9481.JPG

Lincov

THE HEAD TEACHER NOW SUGGESTED THAT I GO THROUGH THE MAIN ENTRANCE (where 500+ pupils pass through oppose to the side entrance less than 100)
View attachment 32122
And she suggested that I live my bike after in their SCOOTER PARK- a small fenced area for scooters - yesterday they had 46 scooters in there today 37- no bike rail, no space, nowhere to lock the bike- no easy access as I have to go through the was amount of people at main entrance
View attachment 32123
Hi Yvette, I do appreciate your frustration but it sounds like she's willing to compromise. Could you try it and see how you go to show willingness, then if it doesn't work get back to her and outline why? Could you lock the bike to the fence? I know she's being annoying but head teachers have a lot of power so it could be easier to get on side with her.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Hi Yvette, I do appreciate your frustration but it sounds like she's willing to compromise. Could you try it and see how you go to show willingness, then if it doesn't work get back to her and outline why? Could you lock the bike to the fence? I know she's being annoying but head teachers have a lot of power so it could be easier to get on side with her.
have you seen the scooter park? There is no space or a place to dismount my daughter safely or leave the bike safely without possibly injuries on myself, her , or the kids on scooters. :-( Aslo acces to the scooter park is tghe main school gate which is far more busy on an average 500 pupils pass there in the morning compare to the direct side entrance from where less than 100 pupils arrive

Your bike should be given the same courtesy as any other pushchair. Are they also banned from using the side entrance? If not, no reason to ban your bike. You must make sure you do not ride on school grounds, and be confident that you have never done so in the past, only wheel it on foot.

As suggested many times above, keep this rant free, polite and to the point. Politely ask for clarification for the reasons and then present it to the people who can help resolve the matter with the head teacher.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
A 'scooter park' sounds like a colossal waste of time - please tell me it wasn't purpose built?
it was actually... with not much logic behind it as there in no shelter /roof so scooters get soaking wet/ rusting there all day long- also it is a very messy area as scooters are all around falling on top of eachother

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
As suggested many times above, keep this rant free, polite and to the point. Politely ask for clarification for the reasons and then present it to the people who can help resolve the matter with the head teacher.
I was not ranting in my letter - started the letter and finished the letter similar way:... hoping to resolve this issue with a positive outcome, agreeing with her that children's safety is always first etc...

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
A 'scooter park' sounds like a colossal waste of time - please tell me it wasn't purpose built?

We have a scooter park & a bike park at our school, they are not covered either, but, the scooter racks have the bit that you would put your bike wheel in on a bike rack, upwards so the stem of the scooter fits in there to keep them upright & tidy

Ah found a pic, like this,

Scoot%20Root%20Image%201.jpg

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
We have a scooter park & a bike park at our school, they are not covered either, but, the scooter racks have the bit that you would put your bike wheel in on a bike rack, upwards so the stem of the scooter fits in there to keep them upright & tidy
ahh, this scooter park you have shown is brilliant!

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Oh dear- I have just been totally slated on the CTC forum.... being criticized by other cyclists that i put my daughter in danger as she is wearing a scarf while I cycle... potential hazard risk- just as her glasses -in case we fall and broken glass cuts her face...:wacko:

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
Oh dear- I have just been totally slated on the CTC forum.... being criticized by other cyclists that i put my daughter in danger as she is wearing a scarf while I cycle... potential hazard risk- just as her glasses -in case we fall and broken glass cuts her face...:wacko:

Don't tell them that I allow my 8 year old son to ride on my rear pannier sometimes and hold on tight, when he does not want to walk and has not biked to school. I am a BAD person and a TERRIBLE mother

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist

What utter drivel.
Are they saying no one can wear glasses whilst cycling? Rubbish.

Top Bottom