School headteacher bans my bike from school ground-I am the only cyclist from 270 mums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
for example my daughter's school bag is regurarly full with junk mail : adverts of fake tan, eyelash extension, hairdresser, gardening etc....nothing to do with kids activities- basically she charges local companies for distributing their all sort of leaflets into the school bag-direct marketing...- her charge is £10 per 300 leaflets- by the amount we receive its quite a bit of school pocket money)

WTF:cursing:

Firestorm

Veteran
I think the main point has been missed.
The school policy is that no bikes are to be ridden on the school premises. The child is still on the bike whilst it is being propelled , by pushing as opposed to pedalling, while it is on the school premises , some would interpret that as being ridden.
As for comparing pushing a bike with a child on to a push chair I suggest letting go of the pushchair then letting go of the bike and see which one is safest

Last edited:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Ask her to distribute a leaflet that advises parents that on such and such a day parents will be unable to drive their little darlings to school because the entrance to the school and the surrounding streets will be blocked by a CC / local CTC DA / local cycling club / YACF / LFGSS massive. Get approval from the plod - and we'll start publicizing it !

400bhp

Guru
I think the maim point has been missed.
The school policy is that no bikes are to be ridden on the school premises. The child is still on the bike whilst it is being propelled , by pushing as opposed to pedalling, while it is on the school premises , some would interpret that as being ridden.
As for comparing pushing a bike with a child on to a push chair I suggest letting go of the pushchair then letting go of the bike and see which one is safest

Stand 5m back from the road side and do that. See which one is safer.:whistle:

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
[QUOTE 2751539, member: 45"]I don't think that's a good idea. You should keep it short and focused. Ranting is just going to make her rant back and you'll end up bickering for ages. Make clear comments and ask clear questions. Remain civil and fair.[/quote]
My letter is not a rant- before I moved to the UK I 've used to be a journalist and news editor- 1 thing I am able to do is (regardless that English isn't my first language) is to write. I needed my comments to be based on facts. I eagerly wait for her response- especially as I have challenged her to try to cycle at least once to school setting a good sample to parents and also experience any issues with it.

I haven't read all four pages so apologies if someone had already given this advice.

Put in writing two requests, one along for the risk assessment the school conducted in relation to no bike on school grounds and the second being a formal freedom of information request for all recorded accidents involving non - ridden bikes on the school grounds.

Then use both as ammunition in a complaint to the governors add I can't believe they will support her case.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Obviously my main is not to cause trouble but to reason: out of 93 schools in Havering my school is one the last ones not having an STP SCHOOL TRAVEL PLAN, NO CYCLING SCHEME, AND NOT A SINGLE BIKE RAIL OR A BIKE SHELTER ON OR OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL GROUNDS.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
I think we should ask @Puddles for advice on this matter, she is very experienced in naked protesting in these sorts of situations.
HAHAHA- I don't think I would dare to do a naked protest!

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
HELP! My 5 year old daughter is at Ardleigh Green Infant School- Gidea Park, Romford. Since she started school a year and a half ago I cycle with her daily (she is not a confident rider yet so she has a bike seat on my bike) . At the school gate I get off the bike, and push it into the school ground- walking - approx 15 meters from the gate I stop. There is a metal fence where I can lean my bike against so I can take my daughter out of her seat safely. there are 270 mums on school run in the infant school- none of the other parents are cycling, most of them driving their large 4x4s blocking sidewalks, pavements,parking absolutely everywhere. However today Mrs Morris the head teacher rang me saying that I AM A HEALTH AND SAFETY HAZARD and she is no longer letting me to bring the bike into the school ground. According to her I am a hazard risk for potential injuries. (I do not ride on the school grounds!!!) I have pointed out that many mums bring prams, pushchairs, double buggies which take more space- people bring dogs in in their arms/ in handbags that is fine- me taking my daughter to school is not fine...? I see myself as a positive role model cycling to school every day. There is a small area for kids to lock their scooter in (tiny area full with little scooters and kids- not suitable for me to charge in with my bike)- but not a single designated area for bikes or a bike park anywhere you could leave your bike. I stand next to the bike when Olivia goes in with her teacher- none ever complained about me being in the way. I feel TOTALLY DISCRIMINATED-I do not understand her issue-the head sees herself as in total charge and she decided that from today these are HER NEW RULES- I AM BANNED TO ENTER WITH MY BIKE. I really need some advise her as I want to make sure that this doesn't happen anywhere else and i want to make an official complaint- just dont know how/ hwho am I supposed to talk about this issue- can she really ban my bike from the school ground?

I have not read all of this cos I need to dash out, but my advice would be

a) Ignore the silly cow - what is she going to do? In reality there is sod all she can do.
b) Contact your local school travel people at the council and tell them she is banning your bike from the grounds and why....

Sara_H

Guru
I have not read all of this cos I need to dash out, but my advice would be

a) Ignore the silly cow - what is she going to do? In reality there is sod all she can do.
b) Contact your local school travel people at the council and tell them she is banning your bike from the grounds and why....
What? No naked protest? Disappointed!

subaqua

What’s the point
What? No naked protest? Disappointed!
url

RedRider

Pulling through
Good luck with this Yvette, cycling mums are good role models and it sounds an unreasonable request from the head. In your place I'd consider editing your opening post tho and take out the name of the school/head. Might wind things up unnecessarily at this stage.

Top Bottom