School headteacher bans my bike from school ground-I am the only cyclist from 270 mums

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's exactly what I would do. Ignore them. I'd just nod and go "uhu" when they're talking to me then just carry on and ignore them. They're talking rubbish.

Not sure I agree. The head is perfectly within her rights to ban anyone or anything from school grounds - providing she has good reason. The actual reason, however, is the bit which needs clarification in this case.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Could you chain your bike up to a suitable post or lamp post in the street if you do, eventually, receive a letter?
I couldnt, there is nowhere to leave outside as it is a busy road leading to an A road.

Octet

Veteran
If you're pushing your bicycle then you are classified as a pedestrian, even if you push it through the school grounds itself.

I would write a formal letter to the school, and if they fail to respond/are unreasonable then I would bring the matter up with the council of your area.

Kies

Stick to your guns. I can't see how she can ban a bike, anymore than she can ban scooters, pushchairs and prams from an Infants school

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Thank you all for the replies- I truly appreciate every comment of yours. I will make sure that this issue will not just go away as my goal is nothing else but being a good role model for my child and the others around me. I do not feel that I have made something wrong- unfortunately lot of people have tunnel vision- and I stick out as a sore thumb being the only one cyclist out of the parents of 270 children... :-(

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
Not sure I agree. The head is perfectly within her rights to ban anyone or anything from school grounds - providing she has good reason. The actual reason, however, is the bit which needs clarification in this case.
Her only reason that my bike is bigger than a pushchair therefore its a safety hazard to push it around .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Her only reason that my bike is bigger than a pushchair therefore its a safety hazard to push it around .

Which is complete and utter rubbish of course.

Good luck in your endeavours to find a solution to this problem & the petty, small minded Headteacher.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

.... My point was although she (the head) may well have the right to ban bikes, she doesn't really have the means to enforce it if you simply quietly disobey - and if challenged saying it's too dangerous to take daughter off bike in the road may even defuse it. If you get into objecting and letters, everyone gets stubborn, especially (at the risk of generalising), headteachers who like being obeyed and not giving in to argument, or even reasoning.

If that's her argument, then it can be easily defeated. Ask to see a copy of the guidelines which specifically outline acceptable sizes for pushchairs and baby carriages on council property (answer = there won't be any). The same document should also outline the technical studies which concluded that the the level of risk increases with size (answer = there won't be any).

.... My point was although she (the head) may well have the right to ban bikes, she doesn't really have the means to enforce it if you simply quietly disobey - and if challenged saying it's too dangerous to take daughter off bike in the road may even defuse it. If you get into objecting and letters, everyone gets stubborn, especially (at the risk of generalising), headteachers who like being obeyed and not giving in to argument, or even reasoning.

Disobedience is not the way forward here. Stuff like this needs to be challenged - not ignored. My earlier comment about the Daily Mail (much as I dislike that apalling rag) was also relevant.

OP
OP
Yvette Obertelli
If that's her argument, then it can be easily defeated. Ask to see a copy of the guidelines which specifically outline acceptable sizes for pushchairs and baby carriages on council property (answer = there won't be any). The same document should also outline the technical studies which concluded that the the level of risk increases with size (answer = there won't be any).
You are a star, thank you! That is her only issue- I only walk about 10 meters within to the school ground- from an easy direct access instead of the busy main entrance- my daughter is strapped in the seat and I remove her from it on the school grounds, same picking up time.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Disobedience is not the way forward here. Stuff like this needs to be challenged - not ignored. My earlier comment about the Daily Mail (much as I dislike that apalling rag) was also relevant.

...well, at the risk of an inverse-Godwin, a great many reforms have come from simple disobedience. Gahndi's march to the sea to illegally extract salt, Rosa Parks on that bus, and so on...
Overturning a silly rule on bikes should not be too ambitous for direct action.

Top Bottom