Schoolboy error...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With the slightly adverse weather over the last few days, I decided to put my wet weather wheels n tyres on saving my Fulcrum R7 wheels and racing slicks.
Out came the Alexrims originally supplied with the 25mm treaded tyres, Bikehand and the Crivit toolkit then off I went. Wheel off, cassette off and cleaned, then fitted to the winter wheel. Both wheels fitted, inflated then kit back to the shed as nigh on 10.00 and needed a cuppa. I didn't re-index as almost like-for-like.

Set off to work this morning and fond I had to micro-adjut the gears all the way to ŵork and an odd loose sounding rattle from the bottom end and the same on the way home.
So... Tonight, same kit out and bike on the sand to find, gears 4-9 had around 3-5mm lateral travel!!

Off they came, measures freewheel, gets R7 wheel from shed to cross-check then lo-and-behold, a 2mm shim sitting grinning at me on the R7 hub.

Note to self...check everything transferred and manually check for fit, not just look while wheel lying on bench!

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Yep, been there ....done that too.

Top Bottom