Schwalbe Durano RaceGuard Dual Compound Folding Road Tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
I had fun playing with the Schwalbe tyres at the Cycle Show last weekend. I was sad enough to come away with a tyre catalogue...
I was guilty of doing that too. That catalogue was a quite good to look at :-)

My youngest rode all winter on Durano Etape's and prefers them to GP4000S' as apparently "they slide better round corners" :wacko: .

My CGR is on ('28') Durano RaceGuard Dual Compound 'folders
Now, with 6 months use, I feel confident in the tyres, & the bike, and will lean it over very well through corners
There is, however, two roundabouts on my route home;

- the first is just outside our grounds, & has been 'well polished' by vehicles taking the racing line through it, & unless it's bone-dry always feels slightly greasy
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.695937,-1.489425,10.25h,-17.24p,0z

Just a thought, the 'greasy' feeling wasn't really there, with the Lugano ('23') on my 'blue' Ribble
No doubt, the file pattern on the shoulders was better than the intermittent 'stripes' on the Duranos?
Presumably, the Durano acting as more of a slick?

_detail_durano_dd.jpg schwalbe-luguno-fold-11-zoom.jpg

Had the first puncture of my Duranos yesterday, after almost 8 months
Well.............. I did have one last month, but that was on the internal face of the tube, so manufacturing fault?

Surprisingly, it was a miniscule thorn, that must have only just long enough to penetrate the 'raceguard' belting

That said, given the amount of bridleway/woodland/towpath/gravel tracks it's been on in the past two days, I shouldn't be surprised
Saturday; 'old' Great North Road
Sunday; 'Barnsley Canal
I had the same issues as last time though, with trying to get the tyre to seat correctly, with no high-spots (Akysium disc/'28' Durano)

I've got 28mm 4Seasons on one bike and 25mm Duranos on the other (the Etape version, but I think they're identical to standard Duranos, but for a natty Yorkshire rose logo and some yellow writing on the sidewall).

4Seasons - circa 3,000 miles, 1 puncture, quite a few nicks and central area starting to flatten off.
Duranos - circa 4,500 miles, 1 puncture (well, 2 but one was a pinch flat that was entirely my fault so I'm not counting that), one nasty nick from a piece of glass but otherwise tyres look almost like new.

So I'd happily recommend either/both of these tyres for winter training/commuting. The 4Seasons definitely give the better, faster ride, but they wear quicker. I'll probably be looking to swap them after another 2,000 miles max. Barring any nasty gashes I wouldn't be surprised if the Duranos are still going after 10,000 miles!

Now I've got a SS bike for commuting any rear puncture will be more time consuming to change, so I might go for some 28mm Durano Plus on that in the new year, though I expect them to be a fair bit more sluggish than the 4Seasons.

Top Bottom